Inquiring

Hello everyone, I was so excited to find this forum.  I would be driving from Florida which sounds gutsy just seeing it on the screen!  I have so many questions...SS, Medicare, doctors, housing, cost of living, schooling/homeschooling, electronics, safety, organic produce, pets, passports, quarantine, and probably much more.  I've read a lot and am taking in a lot of information.  Digesting everything.  Thanks for being here.

First question first,  are you moving permanently or just as a tourist?

Based on your awnser then you can receive more accurate information.

Adios, GyC.

Hi Mexicogc,  This would be a permanent move.  I visited Mexico in the past and loved it very much.  I'm hoping my SSD would go a much longer way than it does here.  I believe the lifestyle would be good for my health and I miss common decency, friendliness, and a sense of community.   

From the research I have done already, I'm thinking I can attach a trailer to my pick-up truck and take the basic essentials that we would need.  I am fine with leaving behind most of the furniture.

Obviously, my main consideration would be finances, I'd be happy to know if anyone has taken their SSD benefits and if so, if there was a reduction.  My son is homeschooled and I'd like to know about those options as well.  If public schooling is the only option, he'd be entering 5th grade.  If anyone knows the start and finish of the school year dates that would be great too.  My son is a pre-teen and am also concerned about his education and the opportunities that would be available for him educationally and career wise down the road.  He is sort of a techy kid and draws very well too.

I'm thinking about Mexico City, but I've read Guadalajara is great as well.  I'm open to any affordable and safe area where I can shop at the market. 

I have a small dog (pug mix) and a cat...they are family and would not want to be separated from them.  I hope there is no quarantine.  I read that as long as they have had the 1 year rabies shots at least a month before arrival, they should be ok.

We are practicing learning the language this summer (I know basic words but can't really hold a fluent conversation).

I eat a whole food plant diet and am interested in fresh organic foods and clean (filtered water).  In Florida I fill up glass jugs at the local Publix for 30 cents a gallon.  I have auto immune issues and I'm sensitive to most everything. 

Also, anyone with severe allergies notice any change in Mexico?  I've heard that no matter where you relocate, you eventually become allergic to something in the new environment.

We are very excited, as so far from what I've researched, I do not see anything that would be a hindrance to this move.   All I need to do on this end is give one month's notice to my landlord and we can leave.  I'm hoping within 4-6 months.

Leener wrote:

Hi Mexicogc,  This would be a permanent move.  I visited Mexico in the past and loved it very much.  I'm hoping my SSD would go a much longer way than it does here.  I believe the lifestyle would be good for my health and I miss common decency, friendliness, and a sense of community.   

From the research I have done already, I'm thinking I can attach a trailer to my pick-up truck and take the basic essentials that we would need.  I am fine with leaving behind most of the furniture.

Obviously, my main consideration would be finances, I'd be happy to know if anyone has taken their SSD benefits and if so, if there was a reduction.  My son is homeschooled and I'd like to know about those options as well.  If public schooling is the only option, he'd be entering 5th grade.  If anyone knows the start and finish of the school year dates that would be great too.  My son is a pre-teen and am also concerned about his education and the opportunities that would be available for him educationally and career wise down the road.  He is sort of a techy kid and draws very well too.

I'm thinking about Mexico City, but I've read Guadalajara is great as well.  I'm open to any affordable and safe area where I can shop at the market. 

I have a small dog (pug mix) and a cat...they are family and would not want to be separated from them.  I hope there is no quarantine.  I read that as long as they have had the 1 year rabies shots at least a month before arrival, they should be ok.

We are practicing learning the language this summer (I know basic words but can't really hold a fluent conversation).

I eat a whole food plant diet and am interested in fresh organic foods and clean (filtered water).  In Florida I fill up glass jugs at the local Publix for 30 cents a gallon.  I have auto immune issues and I'm sensitive to most everything. 

Also, anyone with severe allergies notice any change in Mexico?  I've heard that no matter where you relocate, you eventually become allergic to something in the new environment.

We are very excited, as so far from what I've researched, I do not see anything that would be a hindrance to this move.   All I need to do on this end is give one month's notice to my landlord and we can leave.  I'm hoping within 4-6 months.

Okay, so you are just getting started.

What I can tell you immediately is you should rethink where you are going. Both Mexico city and Guadalajara are very big, expensive, and have all of the issues associated with big cities. Mexico city is particularly unsuited to you given your various health and life style issues.

So if I were you I would think smaller and more rural.

Mexico is one of the main organic producers, much of the organics in the U.S did come from here. When you say allergies and auto immune I immediately think leaky gut. You might want to check that out before heading south.
Over all the food and environment is much less polluted in Mexico than the U.S. The U.S. allows things Mexico does not. Yet there is an adjustment period to new bacteria for everyone. Also be prepared for mosquitoes just loving you, until your body is free of the U.S. environment and foods.

As for your son, Mexico is a lot more tech advanced than most Americans think so he should adjust.

Check with the Mexican counsel in your area for requirements.

Thank you for that information.  Do you have any suggestions as far as areas are concerned?  When I think rural, I think beaches.  Also, will shopping be a hassle in a rural area?  Schools?  Do you know if Amazon and other online suppliers deliver?  I must sound very ignorant, I apologize in advance. 

Also, how does the medical world work?  I just got off the phone with S.S. and they said my benefits would continue but Medicare is obviously U.S. based.

We would need passports I presume.  Do pets need passports?

Thanks again.

Amazon does deliver. In fact, they will estimate any import taxes and add that to your final bill. If it is less, they refund the difference. The benefit is that you don't have to pay the delivery service when the purchase is delivered. FedEx, DHL, and UPS deliver well as long as you have a street address. Delivery in rural areas and in small pueblos without a verifiable street address is next to impossible. You might have to go to the agency and pick up the parcel.

You know about Medicare, but what about Part B which you pay a monthly fee. Many have dropped this coverage if they seldom return to the US. Of course, to reinstate it when and if you return a increase in monthly premiums is charged.

Leener wrote:

Thank you for that information.  Do you have any suggestions as far as areas are concerned?  When I think rural, I think beaches.  Also, will shopping be a hassle in a rural area?  Schools?  Do you know if Amazon and other online suppliers deliver?  I must sound very ignorant, I apologize in advance. 

Also, how does the medical world work?  I just got off the phone with S.S. and they said my benefits would continue but Medicare is obviously U.S. based.

We would need passports I presume.  Do pets need passports?

Thanks again.

Where depends on how much you can afford, what you like etc. You said you visited before, where did you go and how did you like it ?

You started with as big as you could get, so to scale down might mean Merida, or places near Tjuana, or Pueblo. there are many places that might fit your needs and except for very small places they will all have fairly normal shopping areas as well as peoples markets. Where I live there are a number of markets that are more traditional, a peoples market, small shops, and a full sized mall. Amazon and some others deliver. My city is smaller than Merida , which is much smaller that the two places you started with.

Yes you all need passports. the pets need paperwork. Mexico has health care depending on what your status is. Medicare is not recognized, but the costs are much , much lower, and the skill level is quite good.

I thought I only paid for part D?  Do I keep part D?  I'm so confused :-(.  Sorry

Thank you, a main consideration is a school for my son.  Unless I can homeschool...I'm searching for that information now. 

I am not looking for upscale, and a two bedroom villa or house is enough.  I don't know what the costs are, craigslist is confusing as I can't tell if it's pesos or dollars.  Some of the ads say $800USD for a 2 bedroom.  Doesn't seem an inexpensive as I thought.  A Mexican shop keeper here told me I can rent something for $250-300.

Leener wrote:

I thought I only paid for part D?  Do I keep part D?  I'm so confused :-(.  Sorry

Part D is prescription drugs and that isn't covered in Mexico. Part B is doctors fee and tests and that isn't covered in Mexico. It runs around 100 usd a month and is deducted from your SS payment.  Part A is hospital coverage and that is free and still isn't covered in Mexico.

If you don't have a Medicare supplement plan then you probably do only pay for Part D & B (B premium is income dependent).  D is your RX coverage.  Since I get my RX's via mail order in the US, I am thinking if I had a mail forwarding service with a US address I could still use Part D.  However, it might be cheaper to just buy the RX in Mexico. 

Since we will be splitting our time between MX and US and will be living close to San Diego I have no plans to drop my Medicare or my Medicare supp plan through AARP.

While Medicare A&B won't cover outside the US, the suppl plans (C, F, G, K, L, N) will cover some treatment and if you drop Medicare all together and get a Medicare Advantage plan it will also cover some treatments outside the US.  I have only checked in regards to foreign vacation travel, so it might be different if your a full-time expat.   

However, in order to get a Medicare supplement plan you still have to have A&B.  All supp plans are regulated by Medicare and the coverage is exactly the same, so it's just what company you like working with.  AARP is administered by United Health and I have no complaints after two years.

Plan D for RX coverage on the other hand does need some research.  My first provider had a really high co-pay for one of my RX's, so I switched the next year to a different provider with a lower co-pay.

Thanks for the input, I'm more confused and overwhelmed (my fault).  I have no supplemental or secondary health insurance.  I thought I only paid for Medicare.  So I'm not sure what is being said.  Not sure what I need to do.

Leener wrote:

Thank you, a main consideration is a school for my son.  Unless I can homeschool...I'm searching for that information now. 

I am not looking for upscale, and a two bedroom villa or house is enough.  I don't know what the costs are, craigslist is confusing as I can't tell if it's pesos or dollars.  Some of the ads say $800USD for a 2 bedroom.  Doesn't seem an inexpensive as I thought.  A Mexican shop keeper here told me I can rent something for $250-300.

$250 -300 is about 5-6000 pesos. Yes that could be done, but you might not like it. Apartments would be cheaper , but you are talking 2 pets and 3 people . Apartments limit people to one small dog. More people and 2 pets probably mean a house.

When I moved here I looked at a "wonderful" house for $6000 pesos. To be kind it was not quite "wonderful" didn't really have a garage, just a space in front of the door and a non functional stove and A.C.. A friend is in a house with a fenced yard for $6000 . He has dogs. The house is basically two tiny rooms. So take the glowing reports with a grain of salt.

This forum has a classified area you should look at, more realistic than Craigs  list.

Before you can look at the school plan I think you have to, have a direction .  So look at the top of the page where you will find more resources. You are just beginning.

Sorry, I was confused when I became eligible for MC also.  Luckily I had a friend a year older who had just gone through it.

If it were me and I was moving full time to MX I would just keep my Medicare A&B and maybe D based on what I could find for RX's in MX.  By keeping your A&B at least if something really bad happens you can always come back to the US for treatment if needed. 

Chances are you are paying a small amount toward Part B.  Just pull up your statement from SSA www site and it will show what's coming out.

Mostly good replies here. I have a timeshare in PVR (my name for Puerto Vallarta after the airport code) and go back and forth to USA. I keep Medicare. All states have different Medicare Advantage Plans with different limitations. I have always paid cash for medical needs in Mexico as everything is so cheap including eyeglasses and dental. I would explore a expat medical plan if necessary to stay. I avoid sticky issues like pets and schools or taxes or mail. Internet service has been super. I don't stay in PVR for low cost but it does seem cheap. I stay for weather, people, beauty, and health. I would not drive or bring more than a couple suitcases to PVR ever because everything needed is cheap and available enough.

Thank you, it Is my son and myself, 2 small pets.   Kind of frustrating...a native Mexican just gave me that input. 

I want to decide location, but not sure where English-speaking schools would be outside of large cities.

I realize I'm just beginning.  Wish it was a little easier to get info.  Thank you

It is $110/month.  Seems like a waste

Part A is free. Part B is based on income from about $110/month up. Part C is a Medicare Advantage plan, part D is Rx then there are a slew of letters for supplement plans that seem to be unending. I have only part C but must pay the part B fee to have a part C just like all others. If I ever drop paying the part B (outpatient doctor and lab coverage) then later is a big penalty to get back in. I even have to keep Part B to get employer benefits.

It's best to check medicare.gov it's a pretty informative www site and will give you all the in's and out's of straight Medicare, Medicare Supplement, and Medicare Advantage. 

Unless you want to be inundated with telephone solicitations don't request quotes from the popular on line companies.  I did it once and within five minutes had calls and they didn't stop for days.

Kind of overwhelmed with the whole idea.  I really have no idea exactly where to go and it seems housing is not as inexpensive as I thought.  Someone from a homeschool ministry contacted me after I inquired on a website.  They suggested I visit first and figure out where I would want to live.   That's hard to do with a kid and two pets.  Discouraged.

Good Morning Everyone,

Feeling less discouraged today...yesterday I received negative feedback.  The ministry gentleman that called me didn't know where "someone in my situation" would go, outside of the churches (he was the contact person for the homeschool organization).  Made me feel like a pregnant teenager in trouble.  I'm quite capable of taking care of myself and my 11 year old.  He also said I should take a trip back to Mexico to look around.  Not sure if that would really help in narrowing the areas down...I would still have to pick an area.   I am getting lots of discouraging comments from friends as well.  That said, I am open to other's suggestions on this forum.

Travellight, thank you for the specific areas to look into.  I also found out that homeschooling is an option...not highly "regulated" but there are definitely homeschool groups and they are more prevalent in/near the bigger cities.  Regular school for my 11 year old would be manageable so long as it was English/Spanish and safe.  Also, I am healing myself slowly (as per leaky gut).  I eat a very clean diet that's why I inquired about the organic produce.  Not sure if anyone answered about the water (I'd be really relieved if there was a filtered water dispenser similar to the Glacier Water stations they have here in the states).  I have found pitcher filters and home filters to be less effective.  I try to avoid plastic as much as possible.

After speaking with SS, I would still be under eligibility reviews so I would need to continue seeing someone on a regular basis.  Right now I see my neuropsychologist every three months and I need an MRI yearly.  This would be important as far as keeping my disability long term.  I obviously wouldn't go back to the states that often so I'd have to find health care in Mexico.  I'm still very confused about how that would work.  I can either pay for a health plan or pay as I go, but I just don't know what my options are or how to find out at this point.

Just to reiterate, it is only myself, my 11 year old, and 2 small pets that would be moving.  I really don't have family here that I would be leaving behind so considering traveling back and forth from Mexico to the US is not really a factor.

Thanks for listening.  Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Leener wrote:

Hi Leener, great project and I wish you all the luck and don't be discourage. I have listed below some items that you should verify before taking the road and some personal info.

With the Mexican consulate:
-what visa are you entitled to based on your net income and investments.
-can't bring your foreign plated vehicule if PERMANENT VISA unless paying custom import fees
-need a certified household goods list to go through Mexican customs   

For living places within Mexico:
-it would be great if you could visit beforehand Mexico but you can't so
-these forums are good to find various places that could be good but you should investigate all via internet
-personally, after visiting left and right Mexico, my wife and I put down our luggage in La Penita de Jaltemba, Nayarit, Mexico (80km from PV and also in the mountains there is Compostela and Tepic).
-the cost of living in Mexico is at least 40% less than Canada but you must avoid buying import goods from the USA (very expensive)
-rents variable: we rent a 2BDR apart all included and furnished for 9000$ pesos (about 500$USD) but there are other 2BDR unfurnished for 3500$ to 5000$ pesos it is difficult to find any of these via the internet because they are owned by Mexican locals
-a good site for rental could be https://www.trovit.com.mx/

Lifestyle and school:
-by experience, not to many English speaking schools but...your son at pre-teen can learn Spanish and go to the Mexican school system very go one and not that expensive (IE: CONALEP high school)
http://www.gob.mx/conalep
-we eat lots of local fruits and veggie plus fresh fish and chicken not much beef
-the best is to blend in with the locals they will help you is you speak a little bit of Spanish
-lots of cats and dogs in our area so no problem but depends on the owner...no pets allowed in our apartment.

Health care:
-very good service the best for us is IMSS combine with private, Prescription drugs aren't expensive. being Canadians we don't have Medicare because we are NON RESIDENTS for Canada and Permanent residents in Mexico

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Mexicogc, thank you for the great information and links!!  I will continue to research and get all the information I can.  Just have to slow myself down a bit lol. 

I should have mentioned, my son is entering 5th grade. 

I will talk to the Mexican Consulate and start on the passports.

Just one thing, what is GyC?   None of the translators tell me!!

Gracias

Mexicogc,

For some reason this website is not letting me search https://casas.trovit.com.mx/.  I've tried it on two web browsers.  Is it working on your end?   

Gracias

no, search fails

After clicking around, seems some search options work.

After clicking around, it seems some searches work, on my phone anyway.

San Miguel de Allende would be too expensive for you. Rents are high and not many available at your price range in a safe area near the Centro. Forget about decent medical care in town. Must go to Queretaro or Leon if you need  healthcare. If your child is homeschooled he won't learn Spanish or have friendships. The schools are okay, Waldorf,Montessori, Bilingual. If he can't pick up Spanish then you aren't doing him any favors by coming down here. If you drive down here without getting a Menaje you'll be taxed on everything, if caught. They obviously don't want "poor" gringoes as they have enough  poor and marginally challenged people of their own.  The American legends of living on your SS benefit days are practically over. I know of many Americans that will advertise on Facebook for "Donations" to help pay for their medical bills, or animal surgeries. I don't think that's too cool and To be sure, Mexicans don't do that. Think it over carefully and good luck whatever you decide.

Ronniestm, thanks for the reply.  My quote above ($300) was not what I could afford, it was a general comment that was said to me as a comparison to Florida.   I can afford up to about $1,000 US.

The information you are supplying about medical costs seem to contradict other comments on this thread.

I do not see myself as a poor gringo and I don't ask people for money online.  I've worked very hard since I was 16 years old...while in high school I showed real estate condos on the weekends.  My mother died when I was 19.  After working as a haircutter for years because parents would not allow college when I graduated high school at 17, I started college on my own at age 29.  I worked part time and lived in an unfinished basement, the only thing I could afford so that I could continue university full time.  I eventually recieved a Master's degree in education with a 3.9 GPA while taking a larger class load than most.  I then taught high school algebra and was very proud of myself after coming from a poor inner city as a child.  I also paid back my school loans in full.  Unfortunately, teachers never get comfortable on their salaries...Maybe after 30 years.

Homeschooling does not mean you can't leave your home.  You are interacting with the world as much as you'd like.  My son can have an intelligent conversation with anyone of any age and has no barriers to learning Spanish.  This past year he ran a Wii bowling league at a rehabilitation/nursing home institution, called bingo, and brought our dog in for pet therapy.  They don't teach you that in school.

Try this link.

https://casas.trovit.com.mx/index.php/c … erSearch.1

Okay Leener,

What I would suggest is you review previous posts. There are a number on schools, housing, and health care. The questions , answers and experiences should help you in your search.

As for the water issue, I finally just settled for water delivery, which I augment with mineral spring water. I'm not sure how they filter, but I suspect it may be R/O or distilled. The water systems vary, but tap water is never a good idea, even though it is probably safer than the U.S. tap water. They do not fluoridate, but there is fluoride in the salt, so stick with sea salt. The water filtration problem has to do with all of the minerals in my tap water, and that is likely the case in many cities. I have a 10 stage filter that just sits in a box, because I can't use it with this system.

Plastic can be found everywhere, but I can work around that. It is a country that is growing and changing.

If there is any way you can make a brief visit without the pets it would really be in your best interest. Mexico is a face to face country, most things do not happen on the internet here. We accomplished little until we came here to look in person.

As for your car , as long as you don't go beyond specific border areas you will not have to pay the import fees. I would recommend the Sonora border. There is a lot more detailed information on that in previous posts.

Buena suerte

Okay, at the risk of adding to your confusion, let me tell you about one Mexican mountain town. I live in Coatepec, Veracruz. Enough of everything here--two schools with English, a great organic market on Saturdays and the regular market is probably mostly organic as well (I get fantastic honey there).

We are famous for coffee and orchids. Coatepec is near Xalapa, the capital of Veracruz, which is a big city with a symphony orchestra, a great museum, and the usual big box stores, should you need them.

Rents are reasonable, but I can't quote because I own my house. I have been a Mexican citizen for 10 years (dual with US), I would say you can rent a house for between $300 and $500 US.

I have a bank account here into which my SS is deposited monthly in pesos. Gives me a better exchange rate and I don't have to worry about bank charges. I dropped Medicaid 5 years ago, so don't have to pay that $100 a month. I use Seguro Popular, and I'm very happy with it. Right after I dropped the Medicaid I needed a new hip. I had private surgery here by a wonderful orthopedic surgeon, who has since replaced the other one at less than a quarter of the rate I would pay in the US.

Good luck in your search. I suggest you explore the smaller towns (someone else made that suggestion, too, I think() and consider climate. Most coastal towns are hot and steamy (I lived on the coast for 13 years). Coatepec is at 4000 feet altitude, and is  moderate. Chilly in winter, but really very pleasant most of the time.

Look it up, you might like it.

Bas

Thank you Babs, I appreciate the specifics you've mentioned.  I'm kind of at a loss.   I read a post earlier (forgot the name of the town) in which the people are dealing with extreme, non-stop noise and sad suffering dogs in the streets.  They were warning others to beware of these factors in Mexico.  Friends are telling me I'm out of my mind, that scary things happen, especially in today's time.  Kind of scared me.  Going back and forth with this whole idea.  Would be nice if I had another adult to do this with.  I will look into your town.

Leener: Tried to send you a personal message, but got a message saying you had disabled personal messages? Is that so?

Hysterical, I tried to send you a message yesterday and add you to my contacts!!!  Let me check the settings right now.  I will also attempt to send you a message/add you to contacts.

Babs, I sent you a message and you are in my contacts.  Does it still say I am not taking messages?  I do not see that option other than email subscriptions.

Messages have to be activated by new posters. We tightened up the system because of someone amusing themselves by dumping some suggestive things on parts of the system.
Mexico was not one of the areas, but when the system is tightened up, it applies to the whole system not just part.

Just make sure your message system is active ;)

Hey Leener,

I appreciate your post as some of our needs overlap.  I too am on SSDI, though I've been considering a move south of the border for many years before I needed SSDI.  A few things have happened lately to put me on a path of more serious planning.  I am currently on a 3-5 year plan, so taking longer than you.  I have some thoughts and questions for you.

1) I am very interested in what you learn about how to maintain SSDI while living in Mexico in terms of the eligibility reviews.  I have 2-3 doctors I'm seeing every 3-4 months.  Do you know if Social Security would accept reviews from doctors in Mexico?  Or do they need to be doctors here in the US? 

This will not change my plans to move to Mexico but only where in Mexico.

2) I too need to be careful about my diet and have concerns about non gmo, pesticide free/organic produce as well as clean water and air.  I hear a lot about fresh and local but this doesn't mean organic or non gmo.  So I did more research.

What I have found is that, as travellight said, there are mentions of organic markets in various towns in Mexico.  This is very happy making for me!  I am also thinking that further from huge cities the better the air will be.  Almost everyone who talks about water purchases and even has delivered on a regular basis it seems, filtered water.

I do have more questions about if people bathe, brush their teeth etc. with tap water though?  And haven't seen anything about the non gmo part yet.F

3) In terms of the naysayers, I highly recommend not listening to anyone who has never lived in Mexico.  My personal opinion is that Mexico, just like the United States, has some dangerous areas and some safe ones.  There is a lot of violence here in the US that many have normalized or become numbed to but outside of the US others find shocking.  I also do not listen to anyone who makes broad sweeping generalized comments about an entire people or country.  Listen to your heart and stay on your exciting path!  And surround yourself with those who already love living there or are planning to move like you are.

4) Ways I have surrounded myself with the positive full of love for Mexico types is through this website as well as a few other expat sites.  I have also found some "closed" Facebook groups for moving to Mexico.  These are great because you can search in the search box for that group certain towns or subjects like "pets".  I even saw a fb group for Families moving to Mexico, or maybe it was Families Living in Mexico.  When I come across it again I'll post it here.

5) Medicare is crazy confusing and not set up as conveniently or affordabily  for people under 65 on disability.  I went through a broker at a company called My Senior Healthplan and this really really helped.  You should know that Medicare Plan B with no supplement or advantage plan only covers 80% of any of your medical needs that Medicare covers.  This is fine with doctor visits but a serious accident or even some labs could leave you with a large bill even at 20%.  That's something only really to be concerned about if you plan on mostly relying on Medicare.  Due to the misunderstood nature of my health condition I need really specific doctors and this has left me with a Supplement plan in addition to Plan B.  It is crazy expensive.  So my current plan once I move to Mexico is to cancel that Supplement and just pay for Plan B for about 6-12 months just to give me time to settle into wherever I live and get to know the Mexican healthcare choices, which there are several.  However, by the time I move I may just cancel the whole dang thing.  But if you cancel Plan B and then re-sign up you get penalized with extra fees.  This could be a non issue for you once you're in Mexico.  Just something to know. 

6) If you find that Mexico is too expensive for your budget there is also Nicaragua!  For many reasons I am focusing on Mexico but way back in my mind that is a possible back up.  As my income is actually too little to even get a Residency Visa in Mexico at this time.    I believe you have to be able to show an income of $1500 USD/Mo. 

However, through my research in all the above expat groups, I have seen many people talk about renting places for $300-$400 USD/mo.  Here in the US my rent is $500 for a small 525 sq ft 2 bedroom that I share with someone else.  So I'm really wanting my rent to be a little less or $500 including utilities or something like that.  When I communicate with folks living in Mexico vs. looking on-line for rentals it is more realistic I think.

I'm also hoping to be able to afford a housekeeper as, due to health issues, keeping up with cleaning and even grocery shopping can be daunting.  It seems that the cost is amazingly affordable for what you can get in Mexico compared to the US for those types of services.

7) I don't have a child but I do know people who homeschool using internet based schooling.  I'm curious, if you move to Mexico and get a resident visa and stay a US Citizen, and have a strong internet connection, wouldn't he be able to continue or do that type of home schooling??  Regardless, many people move to Mexico with their children.  And it sounds to me that with your parental guidance and wisdom and his ability to tell you what would make him miserable or super happy that you both can figure that part out with no problem.  Not to mention how much easier it is for kids to pick up a second language. 

8) I have heard that Merida and surrounding areas are very safe, have great hospitals and is more affordable than some other areas that expats go to.  It is hot and humid though.

9) Chapala and Ajijic are only 1 hour from Guadalajara and have organic farmers markets as well as some very pricey and also some affordable places to live.  Chapala also has some kind of Expat social welcoming committee or something.  It is low humidity and cooler.

10) My cat of 14 years passed away a couple months ago and my eventual move is keeping me from getting another.  But I did do some research in the past, my memory is that you just need to have your pets get a physical with appropriate paperwork filled out within a certain number of days before you leave the country.  My landlords brought their dog over to the vet in Tijuana regularly from San Diego with no problems for daily visits.

I do not live in Mexico though I have visited some areas briefly.  So everything I'm telling you is from my own on-line research, not from actually living there. 

My plan is to take a few visits to some of the areas I'm considering over the next few years.  There are even housesitting options that I'm looking into.  Right now I want to check out the Yucatan area around Merida and Campeche, Quintana Roo north and south of Playa del Carmen, Lake Chapala area, and Puerto Vallarta and surrounding areas.  I may also check out Veracruz state and Patzcuaro.  But am starting with those first 4 areas.  Oh, I also hear there are Facebook and expat on-line groups focused around certain towns/areas.  That is my next step (before I can go visit) to find those groups for the above areas and join them to get a sense of them. 

I know this was crazy long, but I could relate to much of what you were asking about.

Here is a great link someone else provided elsewhere on expat.com to look up and compare cost of living throughout the world.  https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Here is the fb Families in Mexico group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1889482044672683/