New member looking to move back to Mexico

I am from long Island but currently live in the mountains of Asheville, North Carolina,a beautiful place to live but like long Island it is very expensive.Besides that, I really miss living in Mexico. back in 2002 I moved to Aguas Calientes for my girlfriend's job,and then on to Irapuato and eventually to merida.I hated to leave,and now am in a position to settle down there if I can find affordable housing. I would prefer central Mexico but I'm open to suggestions. I am a 49 year old army veteran, no wife no kids,just looking to kick back and enjoy life again. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful, thanks

Hi evan reagen!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Hi i am also new to this forum and trying to shift to Mexico may be next year

Evan... I live in Tlaxcala, about 150 miles South of Mexico City and an hour from Puebla...Population is about 100,000. I could help you find a furnished house here for about $400 a month.
Tlaxcala has the lowest crime rate in the country. It is a very historical place, Cortes made this his military headquarters during the comquest. Prices are more economical than beach areas.
check my blog out atÑ
mexicomystic.wordpress.com
and chat room at....
groups.yahoo.com/group/tlaxcalatourism

Hi, Evan!
I'm currently in Baja California (Tijuana area), but before we moved up here, we lived in Zacatecas, Zacatecas. One of these days, we'll be moving back down there. Zacatecas sits at about 2,400 meter altitude, on a vast mesa. It's delightfully hot in the summer, but can get pretty chilly in the winter. Property is quite reasonable, the people are friendly and the history and architecture to be enjoyed in the capitol are fantastic.
It's considered to be the geographic center of the republic, is heavily agricultural and has a growing maquiladora community, in spite of its distance from the US/Mexican border. It's about a nine hour drive from Mexico City, and a quick jaunt from Aguas Calientes, San Luis Potosi or Jerez. It's definitely one of the nicest areas of Mexico to settle, with the only scarcity being non-agricultural employment.

Good luck on your search! I've been down her for nearly 30 years now, and still love every day of it!

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hi,

I live in Morelia and it is trully historical place.  Cartel Country but i have never had problems.  there are very few expats here though and this might be a problem for you.

I would suggest the guadalajara area.  It is a big city with all of the services and a bit more sophisticated that Morelia.  There are may expats living outside of guadalajara near lake chappala.  heard it was nice there.

come on down.  We lived here back in 2002 and then moved back to the states in 2003.  Just came back in 2009.     I prefer southern Mexico.  We live in Cancun but we are toying with the idea of moving out to  Merida .  We are partial to the Carribean coast though.  I think it is just about personal preference.

We like Cancun.  Has decent info structure. got the best of both worlds.  all the parts to mexico we love, the carribean and some American stuff so we never get home sick.  the only downside is by mexican standards it is not the cheapest place to live.  Compared to the usa it is pretty darn cheap.

wishing you all the best in whatever you decide,

Craig

there are way too many beatiful places where to live! but you can start by setting a price range for your investment, kind of weather you're looking for, geographic preference beach or colonial towns, etc, then I can tell you about possible sites.