Expand your social circle in Malta

Hello everyone,

Moving to Malta means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Malta? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

Priscilla

I came here on my own and knew nobody. Its really the same as anywhere else, you need to go out to things to meet people. Many in UK and US are familiar with MeetUp, it has now grown here and you can find various groups to join. There are also expat groups, though most charge a membership fee.

In Malta Facebook is the internet, so search for events on there and find some groups you like the look of, and try them too.

Or do what I did and start your own group :-)

You have to go out there, but remember all expats are in the same boat so generally people are friendly and open, you will come across a few cliques, you just have to try a few things and find your people.

As regards meeting locals that depends on your lifestyle, I have a dog and have met people out walking. I also meet them in the social groups, go to one that isn't all expats. On the whole the Maltese I have met are lovely people and friendly, I have made some good friends, locals and expats.

Once you get to know a few people, they will introduce you to new people and new groups, again like anywhere else.

true, it's like everywhere else ... but here it's IMHO easier to start a conversation. Best way to start is to join gatherings of your interest, expat, dog, motorcycle, boat, fishing, cooking, salsa dancing ... and FB is the source to find events :-)

I've found that locals are not all that easy to make friends with to start with but there are loads of other ex pats who are really friendly. The locals (in my opinion) are super friendly in the sense they will be kind and hospitable but they do take longer to open up and want to be friends

that is very true