How does expat.com help you in your life?

Hello,

I open this topic since https://www.expat.com help me a lot in my life – mostly for connection purposes, but it leads to something BIG. And I'm curious does it work the same for you. What make you, keep you to visit this page?

I was with this page since 2011.
+ I moved to the Philippines for 2.5 years via help of a Filipino girl who I've met via this website. And that made me become an expat.
+ A part time tutoring job in the Philippines found me via this website.
+ I got a host in Yangon, Myanmar last Oct via this website.
+ I've met lots of cool people via this website, either private meet ups or in group meet ups.
+ I've found clients (doing business) via this website.

How about you? What does https://www.expat.com help you (if any)?

MeoMun wrote:

Hello,

I open this topic since https://www.expat.com help me a lot in my life – mostly for connection purposes, but it leads to something BIG. And I'm curious does it work the same for you. What make you, keep you to visit this page?

I was with this page since 2011.
+ I moved to the Philippines for 2.5 years via help of a Filipino girl who I've met via this website. And that made me become an expat.
+ A part time tutoring job in the Philippines found me via this website.
+ I got a host in Yangon, Myanmar last Oct via this website.
+ I've met lots of cool people via this website, either private meet ups or in group meet ups.
+ I've found clients (doing business) via this website.

How about you? What does https://www.expat.com help you (if any)?

Agreed, Meomun

We are (mostly) here for information and feedback.   No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should, and the internet has become much more than a message service: no matter that the future points at it becoming as yet another pony express.   But that is yet to come.

Meanwhile, many now realise we are not so much cause or consequence, but the catalyst for (our own) change in an awakening, self-aware world.   And able to think beyond our own wants & needs to remember we are all the individual and unique drops of water that are the sea of humanity.   Welcome to the club.

Humans are curious creatures and sites such as this reinforce our research even as we change in our search to reach our potential.  We may well want to change the world too, but as Gandhi accurately advised this must begin with the original reference point: our self.

..so you have now become an integral part of a changing world.   A model for many others.   Us oldies tend to become (too?) comfortable & complacent to point at the obvious; that the roads less travelled lead to new experiences.   A new life..?   It is our choices, not chance that decides our destiny.

So thank you.  Your experiences help others to decide correctly.

No small thing in an evermore complex, complicated and often confusing world.   

Pathfinder.

This is a very useful website crammed full of useful info and interesting peeps! I love it.

I joined quite a long time ago, mostly to get information about expat life in Indonesia, but things sort of moved on from there.
Heading towards 10,000 posts, and I'm still at it.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 573#527221

Congratulations MeoMun, I think you have helped a lot of expats because you work really hard to solve their problems. I have learned a lot at expat.com about Vietnamese culture and laws because of experienced people who have shared their knowledge. Soon I am going to Bangkok for six months, expat.com seems to be less popular there, but I hope I can find the information I need again, in another country.

Much like Fred, I joined to enlighten myself about other cultures and countries. Still here as I have found this forum to be by far the best one of the four I am a member of.

Hi  Bazza,
Thank for your "speech" and I love your signature "Pathfinder"!
Tell me how are you finding your path.

@eodmatt, Fred & stumpy: Thank for your input!

@ gobot, I mean Philip Hardaker:
Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad that I've met you in person, and you've helped me!
Congratulation your wedding is coming soon!
And you maybe the one who change expat.com in Thailand with your contribution!

Tsk!   ..YOU are the Pathfinder, MeoMun...

..and we are grateful for your example.   Reviews are good for people who want info. about the variety of posts.   Yours is like eodmatt's in that NOTHING  compares to real-life experience.    An insight to empathy, for what you have found here applies to us all.

Enlightenment.    ..or should I call you Buddha..?      . :gloria

I'm some what new too this website, I have been a member for just under a year but I, like a lot of people joined for the information and to meet new people. It has helped me in a lot of ways to make life a little bit easier as an american expat living in Saigon.

Hi Bazza,

Thank for your kind words!

I did experience unpleasant experiences. But do I remember it? Or does it matter to my current life? Not at all.

What I remember more are people who are matter to my life.

And what can I expect? This is a free website where people can connect, exchange. What can I expect from a free thing like this. I benefit from this site for years. Up to now the only appreciation I show is in this post.

@ rlhull: Thank you for your input!

======

I want to tell you a story about a member I've met via this website who is among people I impressed the most.

Since I haven't asked his permission to tell the story, so I'll not provide his identity.

I've met him in person 4 months ago, and in our 1st time meet, we've spent more than 11 hours at Thao Dien, D2. Starting 11am up to 10:30pm. There were some unexpected reasons like it was raining sometimes which made him couldn't come back. But overall, it was time consuming but rewarding.

Here are my impressions with him after our 1st meet up:

He was very on time, even in advance of time.

And he is very open, easy going, easily accept things happen, understanding, no complain at all. He tend to find ways to make life of other people easier. He is also generous and helping.

He has great great awareness, I impressed the most when we passed by a big house (in Thao Dien), and he said they can build a smaller house and the remaining of the money to help other people. Then he said right away afterward that maybe they build it smaller already. And I also like it when he aware of the coconut candy he bought are not that healthy.

He is authentic, honesty, he isn't hiding anything. He was telling about past events (down moments) with a positive attitude and with the current mood.

He says things about himself as it happened, not hiding and need not to be too humble or too proud.

The important thing is that I feel his energy is real. Things people say don't matter. The energy speaks a lot.

Oh yeah, my impressions can be changed in future, maybe better, maybe not, no one knows.
Although I've not read the book "The power of now", but the power of now is important.

---------

Up to now, he is still one of my "close foreign friend". He was the only one who I invited to go with me to my hometown on Tet.

Overall, still very good impressions about him.
That he's being real all the time. He feels free to say what he like and what he doesn't.