Phu Quoc Island help.

I am coming back to Phu Quoc Island in June to set up residence. I would like to make contact with expats living there who have information on making this transition. I would also like recommendations on CPA, lawyer, tax advisor, real estate consultants etc.
Thank You,
Stephen.

I think you need to stop over in SaiGon to apply for a residence permit before heading off south. This will require a clean police certificate and a few other bits and pieces.

The process length varies depending on your circumstances, and the number of applications.

Unless you aim to work, for which you will need a Work Permit, as well, you won't need a VN tax advisor or a CPA - most people wait until a fellow in a bad fitting olive coloured uniform comes calling - unless you are running a hotel.

I guess the real estate consultants and lawyer go hand in hand but Foreigners can't 'buy' land. Actually, no one can buy land here, it's all like long term leases. Areas where Foreigners can buy a Land User Certificate are limited to the three largest cities in VN plus a couple of special places.

LUC's are expensive o Phu Quoc, especially now the big operators have moved in, and the infrastructure is struggling to catch up. It is part of a special economic zone linked with Ha Tien on the mainland. They also issued 14 day 'no visa' entry permits both to cruise ship passengers and those entering from Cambodia. They cannot permit travel anywhere else in VN.

But it does increase customers if you are thinking of running a business. The large new ferry makes it really easy to take things across to PQI these days.

Hi Stephen,

Unlike the USA, you don't need all of those guys to live out here.  Come to think of it, I don't know if there is an attorney on the entire Phu Quoc island...  All you really need to live here peacefully is a loyal, knowledgeable and tight-lipped local.  But, your wife being a Vietnamese is a great start.  Is she originally from Phu Quoc?  Does she still have her Vietnamese birth certificate?  Does she still have family or relatives here?  How far along are you guys with your plan to move here?  How often have you guys been to Vietnam and Phu Quoc in particular?

The time frame that you are giving yourself is pretty good.  Just put your questions on here and we will do what we can to help you.  I had just had the pleasure of meeting a few of the guys on here this past weekend.  They are some amazing fellas, Stephen.  Have no fear.

Howie

Howie lovely Avatar that!

Sir Alex,

You like that hey?  I have been looking for it for sometimes now.  It was sent to me by a friend last night.  It totally destroys Anatta's logo, doesn't it?  :cheers:

I see that you got yourself a new one too.  You look so different in that photo.  Hey, that is Britain's soccer God, is it not?

Howie

Wild_1 wrote:

Sir Alex,

It totally destroys Anatta's logo, doesn't it?  :cheers:

Howie

A picture of 3 stinking monkeys and you compare it to my exclusive design. Man, I like to have some of what you are smoking. :P.

3 stinking monkeys

That is the 3 Amigos to you man...  :proud

I think my three Amigos are a whole lot better......

lol that made me chuckle. But my award has to go to Budman - that blows away the competition hands down.

It's not me man, but yes he's the original god father. The one and only SAF. I am sure this is going to be moderated now because we are not discussing residency permits.

Budman1 wrote:

I think my three Amigos are a whole lot better......

if Thou wouldst make me thy disciple :thanks:.

Howie can have his amigos for himself any time.

Hi Stephen,

I am terribly sorry for this interruption.  These 3 Amigos (Anatta, Budman1 and Sir Alex) are really something, you know...  Anyhow, just post whatever questions you might have and we will hook you up with the proper responses.

In the mean time, let me finish of these three real fast, OK?

http://staging.templetv.net/keith/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/frogs2.gif

This is your real amigos guys.  That other one...  Budman1 just made it up.  :proud

Wild_1 wrote:

That other one...  Budman1 just made it up.  :proud

Psalms 74:18 "Remember this, that the enemy hath reproached, O LORD, and that the foolish people have blasphemed thy name."

I herewith pronounce a fatwā to Wild_1 who has the guts to call the Master a fake. :dumbom:

Pls Master, tell us it ain't so.

Hi Stephen,

Unlike the USA, you don't need all of those guys to live out here.  Come to think of it, I don't know if there is an attorney on the entire Phu Quoc island...  All you really need to live here peacefully is a loyal, knowledgeable and tight-lipped local.  But, your wife being a Vietnamese is a great start.  Is she originally from Phu Quoc?  Does she still have her Vietnamese birth certificate?  Does she still have family or relatives here?  How far along are you guys with your plan to move here?  How often have you guys been to Vietnam and Phu Quoc in particular?

The time frame that you are giving yourself is pretty good.  Just put your questions on here and we will do what we can to help you. 
Thank You Howie.
My wife is from Ben Tre and her family is there. She has bc and has sent off to consulate for vn passport so will hold dual citizenship. We have only been to Phu Quoc once, in January. We are returning in June to buy a house. We intend to make our final move by June 2013.  I own a company in u.s. and am trying to weigh my options on how to set up income from u.s. to Vietnam. It could be a branch office or I could be just an overseas employee pursuing future business opportunities, etc.  She was married in Ben Tre then divorced in U.S. and remarried in U.S. so now that is an issue we have to get clearly and cleanly registered in Vietnam especially prior to buying a house. These are the reasons I have sought after CPA and attorney. I am excited about living in Vietnam and leaving god bless the U.S.A. <------ what about everybody else...... ?
Thanks again,
Stephen

Stephen,

You guys are ways ahead now. 

Yup, her Vietnamese citizenship is the determining factor in all that you will do here.  Make sure you get that done before committing to anything here.  Then, before you move to Phu Quoc, you have gotten to at least spend sometimes in Ben Tre, where she was borned and still has relatives, because she will need to establish her residency and clarify your marriage.  Unless, you guys have some trusted people in Phu Quoc, who are willing to allow her to register into their household.  That is highly unlikely, Stephen; and even if you do have trusted people there, the local authorities are going to make you guys run back and forth Ben Tre for documentations.

As for your marriage, I thought that American marriage certificate is good.  I am not too sure with this.  Common you married guys, stop bashing me and help out this fellow American here...

Don't worry about your business here too much.  Once your wife's Vietnamese citizenship is complete and she establishes her Vietnamese residence, it will be quite easy and inexpensive to set up a company here.  The CPA that you might want to talk to is the one that is working for your company there now:  how are your taxes going to be handled there?  As for here, once you and your wife have your company set up and you have your own Temporary Resident Card, tax is pretty straight forward.  Local accountants are dime in a dozen, very affordable.

I hope that helps somewhat.  Again, feel free to post you questions on here.  You don't need a stinking attorney.  Their trainings and subsequent services are nothing like the ones you see in the States.

Howie

Thanks Howie,
We will only be there for two months. My wife is on the red paper of her moms house in Ben Tre, I am not sure of that will be enough to assimulate residency. I was unaware that we need to actually reside in vietnam for a period of time before buying a house. Her mom is too old to travel or we could buy it in her name. The rest live in HCMC but I wouldn't feel comfortable with them on the ownership. I cannot afford to come in june and not accomplish the first stage of the move, which is to buy the house and spend a few months in it. Then we will return to U.S. for 4-6 months. Hey, I really appreciate your response's to my questions.
Stephen.

Stephen,

The real estate market here has been struggling; and it looks like it will remain that way for awhile.  Why would you want to rush now, when your documentations are not quite in orders yet?

Another reason that you might not want to rush this so much is, with these papers, your wife is allowed to bring 1 car back here free of import and VAT.  But, the car must be in her name for at least 6 months prior.  That is a lot of cash right there, Stephen.  Check with the people who are helping you with your Vietnamese citizenship papers. 

Furthermore, even if you buy the house now, you are going to leave it for a 4-6 months anyway.  Why rush and run the risk of making a mistake?

Howie

Howie,
it would cost an exorbitant amount of money to bring a car from the U.S. to Vietnam. Phu Quoc as I understand it is targeted as Vietnams major tourist project right now. They are building an international airport and major road construction is also underway at this time. Phu Quoc will be in my best estimate unaffordable to buy a house in the very near future. It is already extremly high in comparison to say Da Lat. It has always been a dream of mine to live the island life and even though I will admit I hold concerns about buying it and then leaving for 4-6 months, I will for more secure by having done and knowing that my dream is moving toward a reality. I beleive in 10 years it will be a miserable place to live due to improvements and mass tourism but the return on investment will make leaving it worthwhile. Howie, I really appreciate how you take this in, so real as if you are making this move and what would you do. It is so helpful in making me look again and question every move and idea I have within this process.

Stephen,

Like your wife, I am a dual citizen (Vietnamese/American).  I got that taken care of about 2 years ago.  And like you, I love Phu Quoc, not just the island life but also the name itself: Phu Quoc translates to Wealth Country.  But, as of right now, it will remain a dream of mine.

I am still in my prime; I need to be where, or at least near, the action.  Therefore, Phu Quoc is still a bit remote for me.  Granted, there are more flights to the island now but, that is still not enough.

If you had read some of my other posts, having a Vietnamese confidant is one of the things that will help make life here much much easier.  Currently, I do not have that in Phu Quoc.  Not yet, have not had the time to explore the island indepth yet.

Anyhow, Stephen, being able to bring one car into Vietnam without import duty and VAT is one of the few benefits that the government of Vietnam uses to encourage Viet Kieus to do so.  Yes, it might cost a little.  But, once the vehicle is here, it will worth quite a bit.  A used and imported Camry can easily fetch $60,000 USDs.

Speaking of which...  Vietnam is in the middle of a cash crunch.  Most banks have ceased issueing loans.  Inflation is through the roof.  Therefore, you have plenty of time to buy because progress is going to be slow.

Howie

It ain't so, and Howie, people are going to start wondering about you, jezz, posting pictures of frogs and monkeys.

Thank you, Great Master. Please give the infidel some of your Kool-Aid to drink so he too can see the way.

Stephen
You post too many questions, all of which are quite complex by itself, so it is quite dangerous for me to try to answer in general.

Specifically, concerning your marriage in the US. It needs to be registered here in VN if your wife is still a Vietnamese citizen.

Here is a famous case related to your question.

http://en.www.info.vn/life-and-laws/mor … etnam.html

I just did, he should be back here in a minute. Mods are really being nice this week. Maybe it's because it's their 7th birtday.

Anatta wrote:

You post too many questions

One question and he thinks that is "too many" already...  :dumbom:

Hey, did you guys know that they have Carl's Jr. here now?  If you didn't, stop bashing me and head to Vincom and get your fills.

Howie

Stephen9 wrote:

Thanks Howie,
I was unaware that we need to actually reside in vietnam for a period of time before buying a house.

You don't need to reside in the country first, but if she is a Viet Kieu (i.e, not yet reclaim her Vietnamese citizenship), she needs to meet a lot of qualifications (among others, permission to reside in Vietnam for 3 months or more). Once meeting those qualifications, she needs to apply to receive a permit before she can start owning a house.

read otherwise my separate thread on qualifications for foreign individual to own residence in Vietnam

My husband and I want to travel to Phu Quoc and spend some relaxing days by the beach. I've read about taking a ferry or a hydrofoil or flying there. Anybody has any recommendations? What else is to do there besides lounging at the beach? Is the water clean and warm? I am from Puerto Rico so we really like Caribbean-like clean warm blue waters...

Hi Melba,

Don't take the land and sea trek!  That can ruin your plan really fast.  Spend a little more and take to the air.  Once there, you guys can try the many local delicacies; Phu Quoc have the best squids in the whole Vietnam. 

As for the water...  I am not too sure about clean, but I am certain that it is warm, much like the Caribbean Sea.

Howie

Melba,

How about this. Take an open tour down to Can Tho, enjoy the sights of the Delta, maybe spend a few days. Then fly from the Can Tho airport to the Island. They have at least one flight a day. Then after a few days on the beach and eating squid (Yuk Howie) fly back from Phu Quoc to Saigon direct.

hi stephen
nice to know u. i living in PhuQuoc island, and i'm working in a realestate company, have any question please call this number ......he will help u consultant.
best regards

Hi kendngo,
How about whats going on in Phu Quoc. Any thing else down there besides the beachs and squid. As you say you like there, you would have a good insite to the night life and such.

Kendngo,
I did not see a number to call. Can you reply with the phone number and I will initiate contact.
Thank You,
Stephen.

Stephen9,
It appears he deleted his phone number right after he saw my post. Care to guess why?

Why Budman, tell me why?

Dear all,

I was in Phu Quoc about a week ago. I currently live in Phnom Penh for almost 6 years now.
I was really impressed by Phu Quoc, having heard about the island for a while it took me 6 years to finally see it by myself.
Now here is my question, what are the requirements to set up a business on the island?
I have an idea that i would like to develop in Phu Quoc but i'm not sure on how i should do it.
Do you have any info's about the best way to create a company? do i need a company to do business? (in Cambodia you don't really need a company, at least the 2 first years)
What are the taxes and VAT?

If anyone can give me these info's, that would help me a lot.

Thanks
John

Hi John,

I have posted a lot of infos on doing business in Vietnam.  Check them out for the details. 

As for your questions, yes, you will need to register your business and, depending on the type of business you want to get in, you must also get all the relevant permits.

The best way?  I have always suggested people to team up with a local.  That is the best and fastest way.

Best of luck,
Howie

Thanks Howie,

I understand you posted already something about doing business in Vietnam.
Can you give me the link to the article please.

Thanks for the answer
John

The wild_1 is a wealth of information on a number of subjects. Here's a link to 318 of his posts:

https://www.expat.com/forum/search.php? … =133308758

Sift thru them to pick out his business insights and advice.

Just Make sure you don't let him (howie) convince you to change your avatar to three amigos too!!

Hello fellas,

Well...  That is two of you now.  I wonder where that third guys, Anatta, is???  :unsure 

How are your fine Vietnamese days?

John,

All of my posts are in my Subscriptions box, under my Profile.  Take a little time and go through them.  I believe there are enough in there for you to get started.  If you have more questions, just post them on here and I, along with the Three Amigos, :proud will try our bests to answer you.

Howie

I already did that for you Howie, I know your busy. Look up about two posts and you'll see it.

Aaaahhh, thanks Budman1.  I am really afraid to go back on this post; I don't really want to see anymore of those other Three Amigos.  :thanks: