Information; life for female expats in Kuwait

I agree with Mristanbul.

When i was like waiting for the Buss at 6:45 pm there was an Indian lady who dressed like western and all of sudden one man appeard in his car and stopped in front of that lady and opened the door and was buzzing car Horn, so that he can take that lady and do something.

The car person was a Kuwaiti and the lady was  just near my side may be 1 meter away and this lady dint even see him and that guy left after waiting for this lady nearly 3 min.

As always rules are for Expats. and not kuwaiti.
But i really Salute the rules of UAE its equal and no discrimate whether he is expat or  Emirati.
its really dangereous for ladies to walk at nite and also to walk early mornign around 5 am really dangereous

why ladies? how many of my friends lost mobile, purse etc.. Kuwait is good for kuwaitis.. not for expats. especially asians.. atleast, non kuwaiti arabs get a better deal. you are men or women.. if you want to walk - walk on the prominent roads and with people.. if not, nothing is guaranteed.. both men or women abused... by spitting or throwing stones etc.. i know many are going to disagree... but that is the truth....

I feel this is the most safe country for women.
Social life is what you made it yourself.
If you want to meet people you should take actions yourself and not stay waiting to someone come up to you in the street.

Ohh u mean this is safe. May be nothing has happened nor u have faced anything ... i know many Americans where i was working and one lady while walking from her Apartment which is just 2 min away from the office some guys came in their car and tried to pull her. luckily she screemed and people gather and those guys ran away.

And Expats cant take anything on their hand after all we are called expats so.....

Hi Guys,

Every country has good and bad people, we cant say a country X has 100% nice people, same here you will find good and bad people, every country has its own rules, you need to follow and obey the rules. 2ndly everyone got their own criteria to enjoy and spend time and it depends on person to person.
God bless everyone.
salman

Can you find alcohol in Kuwait.....

Yeah you can

Hi, I am in the same situation.  I would also like tp know about living in Kuwait for women.
I am from England, and believe this is a massive decision in which I need to make.
Any information would be appreciated :)
Katie

"Any information" is a bit too broad. Can you specify what are your concerns?

Well is it dangerous? Are there issues with transport? Am I allowed to dine out alone? Are nurses treated fair? Do females have the same rights as males? Is there things to do for fun? Are most people able to speak English?

Well...it is not dangerous to walk around alone, but it is very dangerous to drive. Driving habits resemble more a demolition derby event than driving. :(
Public transport is not up to the standards you would expect, so you will probably rely on cabs. Most of the time people find a dependable cabbie and stick with him.
You will have no problems as a single female, you can dress however you like (within reasonable limits), there are some limitations that are gender specific (for example you cannot sponsor the residency of your husband), but that probably does not affect you.
Yes, there are things to do for fun if you get out of your comfort zone.
Most people you would deal with speak english.

Based on your question I feel you have a lot of misconceptions about the place. Most of us did. :) Nothing to be afraid of, personally the only real issue for me are driving "habits" which are downright dangerous. You get used to it but it still makes me tense. Again, if your work is close to your place, this will not affect you much.

If you have any specific questions, shoot.

So I have a fiancé, would he be able to come over? Or would he have to stay in a different accommodation?
Are there lots of super markets etc?

For the two of you to live together without being married is indeed illegal, but if you are discreet about it and the building caretaker is not too nosy (or you are in good terms with him) it is certainly doable. There are lots of shops and supermarkets, and many of them are opened until late at night.

Maaaaaaaaan, I feel your pain.  You're reading everything we read just over a year ago. 

Trust me, good news and normal life seldom makes the web pages.  Kuwait is safe, and you'll find a LOT of products/stores/restaurants that are familiar to you being from the UK (Marks and Spencer, tesco products in the grocery stores, etc).

Ribosom's got most of your questions answered but I wanted to reassure you, that unless you are very flamboyant with things like unmarried co-living or alcohol then you probably won't have a problem.  Most people here (landlords included) are pretty understanding of our lifestyles and dont mind it as long as it doesn't become a problem for them.  I have a realtor I could recommend (who's trustworthy).  You could let him know your situation and see what he says.  He usually has a close relationship with the landlords he works with.  PM me if you'd like his info.

My wife does a lot of things here on her own.  Dining, shopping, cab rides, etc.  No issues so far (in fact, quite the opposite).  Well I say that, but someone yelled "how much?" at my friends wife once (they've been here over a year).  I think that's about as far as that goes (and is hardly something that's specific to Kuwait, if I'm honest)

Unfortunately I can't comment on how nurses are treated, as I don't have any first hand experience as a nurse.  However, I have had a couple short visits to two private hospitals and one government hospital (kidney stones, and routine checkups, one sick kid), and the care was excellent.

The short version:  I moved here last April with 2-kids and a wife.  Everyone's very happy so far :)

:) Katie ..... 123, hello .... I've been in Kuwait for a year now, nothing has happened to me, you just have to know how to take care of yourself. They already told you. I do not go out alone for the night nor do I go for days in solitary places, anyway, do not worry in advance, you're here??  bye!!!!

Do not try to find alcohol.
Otherwise jail