Internet Access

Hi All

Just wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on the costs and availability of internet access and prices of PC's in Malta.

I am not sure how it works there (wi-fi) or do you need a landline?

Thanks for the input.

Partial answer - hopefully others can add:

Internet is available both via landlines (often bundled in with TV and phone) and wirelessly.  There are several suppliers.

At the wireless end of things, you can use a "dongle" or "internet key", or an alternative technology called WiMax.

I currently use a dongle and pay €20 for 3GB, prepaid.  If I took out a contract, I believe I could get 12GB a month for €40.  And I think landline services are generally cheaper than that (especially if you actually want the TV, phone, etc).

PCs, and electrical equipment generally, are a bit pricier in Malta than in other bigger European countries.  It might make sense to bring one in from elsewhere.

"It might make sense to bring one in from elsewhere." - but if you are going to do that you might want to make sure the warranty will be honoured in Malta.

For internet we use Melita landline + wifi modem (extra charge) - the "Large" package which is 10Mbps for around €30 a month I think - it's been mostly OK there have been a coupe of times when we have not been getting 10Mbps.

3 main providers Vodafone, Melita and Go each of them offer bundles and packages depending on what you want.
Allow +- 2 Weeks for installation. Computer equipment is way overpriced, best bet is bring it along or order from abroad.

I've had a bit of a mare with internet since moving here! Go would only accept credit card payments. Fine if you have a credit card of course but they wont allow debit cards or cash or any other option.

Melita would accept credit cards, debit cards and cash in your nearest branch. Prices are pretty similar between the two although I believe GO are doing a 50% discount for the first 3 months.

With Melita it would have cost us just shy of 100EUR to get installed. You pay a 40EUR installation fee, 10EUR deposit on the modem (which you get back if/when you cancel your contract) plus 3 months upfront. Then if/when you cancel your last 3 months are already paid.

Neither Melita or Go came with a wireless router, both could be included for an extra 25EUR cost, or you can buy them in the shops for a bit cheaper than that, but as stated by everyone else PCs and such are generally a bit expensive.

For Vodafone to get internet they wanted a lot of documents that we just don't have yet- proof of address, proof of income and ID I think they asked for.

We're currently using a vodafone internet key which cost 49EUR to buy and costs 20EUR for 3GB which is ok if you just read emails but if you want to stream or download it's going to work out pretty expensive!

Hope this has been helpful :) my advice would be go into a Melita, Go and Vodafone shop to see if they cover your area and they're usually pretty helpful with explaining what you need and how much it will cost etc :)

talking from my experience Melita will provide you an installation in 3 days
10 Euros for installation
81 Euros deposit (ask them for more details)
and arround 14 euros per month for 4Mo/m Internet Service + Landline Prepaid phone (flex)
Hope this help