Safety in Malaysia

Hi,

I'm moving in to malaysia for work. I'm being transferred there by my current company in India. I could stay there for just over a year. Considering, I'm coming with family of three including a toddler, I would like to know the safety issues in Malaysia, particulary against the expats, more on Indian expats if possible.

I would be posted at Shah Alam near to KL, I suppose.

I went through some of the videos on youtube on robbery in malaysia, which my friends pointed to and also read through most of the forums. Looking at some of the crimes, it seems to be violent.

Please advice, depending upon your inputs I may decide to stay or not stay in malaysia.

Hello, where are you from?
I'm from India
My daughter is going to India to study and needs someone to help her.
By the way, my grandmother is ill, and would you like to play cards?

That's how one of the very common conversations goes.
I started by saying I was from Australia then, after they've given me the 'study in Australia' line, I'd apologise, explaining I thought he was asking about my hat, and saying I was from the UK.

Other than that, you don't want a massage in Bukit Bintang, and you don't want to buy the really cheap DVD's down that back alley in Chinatown.

Here's my two cents ..Its safe here.There are snatch thefts so dont walk around with blinking goal and a huge handbag. If you are carrying a laptop then be dilligent.
Now robberies etc its the same as where you are from. As for "unusual situations", like I said  I'd like to put a disclaimer here, thats this is a general things that happens in M'sia between Indian Nationals....They bargain and haggle a lot.they ask many contractors and many realtors in short they waste the local worker's time,they take advantage of workers. Now this has resulted in workmen punching an Indian customer,Taxi drivers punching indian women, and sales people shouting at Indian customers.Theres no discounting here unless you are at a market. If you really dont want to buy then dont ask for a discount. Do not undercut or waste locals time. Use some please , excuse me and thank you...use a lot of that.....thanks

Indians unfortunately get very drunk and gangs fight each other with knives, including sometimes in areas where expats and tourists congregate. Luckily only about twice a year in the latter places.

Rubbish...

Afraid not. I have a friend who was stabbed and another incident took place on Jalan Changkat Bukit Bintang 3 weeks ago.

Hi well on some areas muggings are so common it is a usual thing and people don't bother reporting it anymore. Many of my colleagues who walk were mugged twice in a year. A lot of local women I know don't carry handbags any more as too tempting for muggers.

Many areas outside bars are very dangerous especially where Indian Malaysians drink. Especially over girls wearing little more than underwear. Rather British really.

Main danger in shah Alam though is dying of boredom ;)

Hi...i am an Indian & have an offer to join a company in KL , Malaysia. I had read some where that Malaysia has high crime rates with mugging & theft pretty common...would really appreciate if someone could throw light on the same and let me know on the safety of staying in Malaysia

Above postings explain the situation. Generally its only a problem in a few isolated areas. But its best to live in a guarded and gated community or condomiumium. Just follow common sense procedures. Crime happens in every country in the world. In Malaysia its mainly opportunistic, so avoid presenting opportunities e.g. large bag, wearing gold jewellery, annoying people.