British Girl - Newish to KL

Hi all.

I moved to KL about 9 weeks ago and have just finished my first quarter at school (working). I live in Wangsa Maju so it's not typically expatty so to speak, so I'm finding it difficult to meet new people.

Just wanted people's advice on things to do and how best to meet people :).

Hi CathyAnn,

Unfortunately it's a common difficulty for all foreigners in Malaysia. Maybe not a bad idea if you visit somewhere like Penang, hang up in bars  :cool: , and join some events/tours like montain climbing etc.

Good luck for you,

Hey Cathy Ann,

I just moved to KL also and can understand how it feels to be lonely in a foreign country.
I think it's a good advice to start seeking for some activities... I like hiking and hope to find someone who shares that interest so we can visit around.

Best luck  :)

I will pm you as cant say on this forum. So easy to meet people here!

hi how are you?

Do you know about this group:

http://www.meetup.com/malaysianfood/eve … amp;rv=mc1

hiya Im a super social person, starting teaching jan 2015, love to meet you.  :) Im from Newzealand, into music gigs and clubbing along with the nature moments like beach and hiking

There's a night time steamboat stand just outside Chinatown, chill out there, and see who talks to you.
Ask if 'Man' still hangs around around that area, the people who work there will know.
Great bloke to know, as he knows loads of safe hangouts in KL.
HOWEVER, a lady alone should always take great care, never fully trusting new people, even when those people are suggested by others, including myself.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/bigfootedfred/fred.jpg

Hi Cathy,
Where about Wangsa maju do you live...
I live in Taman  Melati, which is less than a kilometer from Wangsa maju.
I am a expat aswell hailing from dubai working for British Petroleum.

If you wanna meet up.. we can meet up in Wangsa Maju Jusco Shopping complex.

BRegards

Hi Cathy Ann I'm working here too and it's tough meeting people. Want to meet up for a coffee? Felicity  :)

Hey Cathy, I've just moved back here and understand what you mean about meeting people. You could try meetups/internations that usually have different things happening?

Hi My name is V J Balan . I am from Spore and live in Malaysia .
I run my own business in kl.

If you need any help pse do contact me at [email protected]
or 012 202 8023.

thanks

V J  Balan

Hi,

I'm an expat from Russia, have been working in IT for about two years. I found that it's hard to make friends with locals as local Malays/Chinese/Indians mostly keep to themselves. Most of my friends are other expats. There are places like Havana in Chingkat which are safe and popular with expats.

Hey Cathey Ann,

Let me share my experience.When i came to KL for the first time i didn't have any friends, couldn't go anywhere alone.
After few weeks, i have attended an international standard church (English service). I have visited couple of times and i got few friends like students,IT professionals, Journalists, psychologists, doctors, lawyers, business people (all are young ;) )
It's a best place to meet genuine people as you will be invited for hospitality if you are visiting for the first time. You know when you actually speak to them.There are many events/happenings every weekend in the church. Every event is a new learning experience from experts. I love those :)
You attend that church service and find out your age group, that's all, i am sure you will get many friends.
Now after an year, i have many friends from different countries.
I go out with them for Hiking , trail running, swimming. Infact few of them became my best friends.
I climbed mount many mountains aroud KL, Rinjani (Volcanic mountain Indonesia).
I suggest you do not meet new people at pubs for safety reasons.

hi,

its depends on you.. If you want I can be your friend who finding foreign friends to have good relationship which can lead to good understanding..

hi sorry to say that you really cannot meet Malaysians  as they keep to themselves   sounds cruel   but why beat yourself up wondering if your breath stinks or you have BO     work here and then visit Thailand and Indonesia and other places nearby where people will talk to you   try to find other foreigners  good luck  try to find a job in UAE, Qatar or even Saudi where you will  not only make a good tax free salary but also friends.

Malaysia is really for Malaysians

Declan

well just be simple and have a lot of smile on your face la...am here in KL,if u dnt mind to be my friend. cheers!

I agree, don't feel bad. Malaysians are just used to self-segregation. Just go to the mall, you will see Chinese with Chinese, Malays with Malays, Indians with Indians. It's very rare just to see interracial friends. My friends living in Thailand have tons of Thai friend. This is just Malaysia.

I actually found it easy to make Malaysian friends. Not sure why anyone would find it hard! Just talk to people and understand that this is a different culture

Hi Cathy,

I am Malaysian Chinese. Welcome to Malaysia. Those comments below were true caused we have different norm and culture. Malaysian are usually hang out with Malaysian.

Please do not worry, i can mix with foreigners cause i would like to learn other countries' culture and etc. I can show you around KL and introduce you some nice places for food. Please drop me an email at [email protected]

Cheers

Hi i am expat too i am a lecturer  at university at same time phd student at ukm ,i am Arab mix guy from Yemen and UAE, if u interest we can talk and know each other

Hi, Cathy

I am in the same position as you. I moved from the UK, 7 weeks ago to work in a school in Subang Jaya. I am really enjoying it, I love the culture of Malaysia and feel I will stay around for at least few years. I would love to meet some Malaysians, we could even do some activity together if that's any easier. Would love to go for coffee with you. It would be nice to speak to someone who is British and failure with everything I miss from home. Let me know if this is  when the best time would be. My email is [email protected].

Thank you
Charlie

Hi Cathy... If you feel bored and need someone to speak please do contact me..  we can arrange to meet up each other.. I am local Malay... I have live in UK for a couple of years... I live in Gombak area... its quite close to ur place actually.. be in touch...

Sal
email: [email protected]

Hi Cath,

I have few Brits colleagues here, so if you need help on meeting people, I could prolly ask them if you want to.
They all live in Bangsar.

Maybe you should consider volunteering, or do some outdoor sports/activities. I know their wives do this.

Hope it helps.

Catwmn

If you need a friend here in KL let me know. Thanks

I agree

I see some of you are teachers?

I am in the process of applying for a teaching post there, not sure which area as the school has 5 campuses. What is it like? Charlie, I see you love it! What are the kids like?

Just arrvd today nite but would sure like to make a friend out of you.Got no friends other than the contact i came to visit and that's for business purposes.
Regards,
Brian Mutumba (Ugandan)
+601123201844

hi girl, you're still so new here, i believe with the time you'll be able to hang out with malaysian. Im indonesian currently pursuing my master study in malaysia and i have a lot of malaysian friends, you just need to be patience.All the best... :top:

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the replies. Work got crazy busy and so I just didn't have time to check this (No wonder I have no life ;) ).

PM me on here if you want to meet up and I'll reply as and when I can. TY

Hi Cathy,

Welcome to Malaysia. The area you're staying now is quite good. Away from the city and have a lot of Shops and Malls. Wangsa walk is recommended.
It's not hard or difficult for foreigners staying in Malaysia especially Kuala Lumpur. Peoples here are nice and friendly. You will be fine.

Hi, if you wanna meet some friends in malaysia first of all is to adapt their culture and language. I would be very happy if someone from different nationality try to learn my culture & language. All my american friend and south american even african friends making tons of friend in malaysia :)
There is few other way but one of the most effective way is the "language" like chinese/malay/tamil.
Just few word like "how are you?" "Thank you" will do.

Cheers.
Daniel

hello there. i am looking for friends here in KL. I am a corporate kind of guy working in the oil and gas industry. but being an expat it's really difficult sometimes to find friends who can get along for dinner sometimes even for a simple coffee outside. by the way, i stay just around klcc, if happen you're in the area, we could meet for lunch and chit chat? looking forward to hearing from you..

we can meet for a cup of coffee. please let me know wheen you're free.

daniel here

hi
how are you
have a nice day

Hello British girl , hope ur getting along with Malaysia kind of life style , believe ur adopting very fast ,  how are ur experience like ?

Alex .

hi i like the idea i will be there in 3 weeks or month so can i join that group and u from KL ?

so since from when u r living in KL

Feel free can drop me message as well. I'm in town everyday. Sometime can meet up as I'm always waiting after traffic clear only going back. :)