British Muslim Women in Mont Kiara

Are there any British Muslim Women living in the Mont Kiara area, am looking to make friends with families from the UK who also have young children and are living in the Mont Kiara area.

Good luck, sister.

Salam, I'm in the same boat, I'm currently in petaling jaya I've only been here 2 weeks so I'm not sure how far I am from you?!?

I have also moved to KL a few months ago from the UK with hubby and two kids. I also live in Mont Kiara

Salaams! Am looking for a place to rent  in KL near PJ, preferably near an islamic montessori and where there are good number Muslim expats. Any suggestions would be great. =)

Salaam,

I do not know about any Islamic schools but if you check out www.salaamexpat.com/malaysia there is information and blogs you may find useful.

I'm sending my son to the British International School in Bandar Utama.

There is no particular area where you will find mainly muslim expats as they are scattered around KL. Most international expats live in Mont Kiara that's also where I live. Bangsar is also another good area where you will find muslim Malays as well as international expats. Also around Bandar Utama you will find muslim Malays but not many expats but there is a new condo called 1 Bukit Utama.

I should also warn you about the traffic in KL, nothing is as close as it seems with the crazy traffic situation therefore it is wise to consider where you decide to live and how far from school and work. I would advise you do not rush in to things and find somewhere once you move to KL.

If you need any further info I am happy to share.

Salam dear friend.

I am local Muslim who live here in Kuala Lumpur since I was born :-).. I have few list of islamic schools here but probably quit far from your area.

One of the best is in Gombak as English is a medium of communication in school. Starts from 7 years old. I will get you the details if you are interested :-)

Salaams,

Thank you for both your replies =).

Few more questions-

1)Is living in a house not safe? Cause much of the advice that we are given is to rent a condo or serviced apartment.

2) My elder son is 4yrs old. So am looking for an Islamic Montessori for him. I have found Brainy Bunch, CIC, Genius Aulad online. Any suggestions of which are the good ones?

3)Are there any active  Muslim community centers in KL? Where they have halaqah for ladies, men and/or families? Wld love to base our choice of location depending on this.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Jazak Allah Khair.

Assalamuaalaikum Rayna.

Q-dees and Brainy Bunch are good. i would ask around if they are any islamic montessori for expatriate.

Basically, It depends on your preference. If you prefer house more than condo or serviced apartment, it's advisable for you to rent a house with guarded and gated services (Mutiara Damansara, Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, Bukit Damansara, Ampang). The monthly rental would probably not less than Ringgit Malaysia 3k/month. But,ofcourse living in a house is more preferable for a family.

Fully furnised Condo/serviced apartment is good as well. But you have to pay additional fee for car park, maintenance other services. Plus.. the muslim community not really keen to live in condo.. most of the residence are non-muslim.

However, before decides on which location you intend to live, I need to know where is your office here. Kuala Lumpur traffic is really bad. It's better for you to live somewhere neat to your office. Plus i believe.. you will need some times to get familiar with the road. N u need a place near to public transport.

You don't have to worry much about the Muslim community centres. We do have alot!!!!

Hope these information are helpful for you to decide ;-)

Wassalam.

Salam alaikum,

I'm a sister from Germany and currently staying in Kuala Lumpur. I will start my practical term in a company at Mont Kiara next week.

I would really love to meet some sisters!

wasalam

Khadija

Assalam Alaikum

i am also looking to get to know some nice sisters , i am from Germany and moved here with my american hubbi 2 month ago.have two kids 2years and 4 years old and need some friends. we are still looking for a good area to live in so some advice is much appreciated.we where thinking that Bangsar would be a good place to move....
If anybody wants to chat , i am more than happy to.

Salams Sandy

Salaam! I am a local Muslim living in Mont Kiara. Would love to make new friends. My contact is [email protected]. 😘

Hello Sandy,

Am soo glad you responded, hope your settling in well. It is very difficult when you move home, and you have moved from one country to another and are trying to make friends at the same time.  Even the simplest things can become overwhelming.  I was totally depressed when I moved here, now I feel a tad more settled and have got to know some other Muslim women which helps.  I still miss home (London) but its not too bad now and is getting a bit better daily.  I live in Mont Kiara, its in the middle of the city so its easy to get to anywhere from here. I have the number of a sister who is from London and has just moved to Bangsar with her 2 1/2 year old son. Let me ask her and will pass on her number to you and you can meet up.  Also please feel welcome to come to our home, let me know which days suit you and I will work around that. My number is 0173317019, name is Minah

nice to meet you Minah.
i will definitely  get in touch with you, In Shaa Allah. My hubbi has the phone during the day. do you have FB or an e-mail i can contact you? we should find a day to hang out.I don't really have a daily schedule so i am pretty flexible.

Hello Sandy,

I have an email it is [email protected]
Do get in touch, it will be nice to meet up.

Regards

Minah

Salaam Lisakhadija,

I live in Mont Kiara, your most welcome to meet up for a tea or coffee, my email is [email protected].  SO whenever your up to it give me a tinkle and we'll have tea. Welcome to KL!!

Regards

Minah

Walaikum salam sister Minah,

thank you very much :)

I am not sure yet which day next week I will be at Mont Kiara, but I'll tell you inshaAllah.

Lisa Khadija

i would suggest ampang, nearby kuala lumpur.. close to british embassy, international environment, cheaper place to rent, and good islamic school nearby and international school.. it would take just 5-10minutes from city center.. it will cost u arround gbp200-gbp300 per month for apartment/condominium(swimming pool,security/parking)

send me also detail , pls ,
i want to get admission for me ,can i get ? Rana , 24 year old ,i am from pakistan , have done ACCA ..have respectable and business family there , wanna more study here ,but in real muslim community .. can u guide me , i live alone here in Kuala Lumpur .

The Muslim community is scattered. Mainly because food is not a problem here. Most chains are halal. Finding halal groceries isnt a problem too. And  everywhere is equally safe/ dangerous ( depends on how you put it). Would suggest a more neutral, high middle income neighbourhood. People in that range are more accepting and friendly.

Hi all...
I am planning to shift to kl next year mid..my son will do his preU in sunway university..hence I am planning to stay near or around sunway. I have been browsing a lot and getting confused..pls help me on following matters:
*What are the good school ( preferably islamic) near sunway for my daughter.( grade2).
* what are the newly built condo/apartment near sunway university.
*is there any good private school which is near sunway university.

Pls pls help..I am planning to go to kl next month to servey...

Salaams Zubaida,

Hope you are well, just read your message.  I am going to get straight to the point and please do not be offended or shocked. Also this my personal opinion from the experience I have had as a parent and professional in KL so far.  Malaysia is all about the "money". If you want a "good private school" than there are schools with beautiful facilities and buildings and gorgeous school uniforms and lovely looking classrooms for your children to sit in, for these schools you pay deposits, registrations fee and school fees through your nose. As for how good they are at educating your child, please do not be under any illusions you are better off where you are,the education here is not what they proclaim it to be. Then comes your point of finding an Islamic school. Again this is down to you, a lot of it the international islamic schools are not really international, teachers are not qualified and although the children are being taught islam through text books the problem is the teachings are not always being reinforced or modelled by the educators. The islamic schools are nothing like the ones in the UK or USA or even Canada. So come with an open mind and prepared with a million questions to ask. Please understand that as a parent you have a responsibility to give your children equal rights to and access to a good education. The islamic schools do not provide this and even the islamic studied they teach is subjective.
Now your final point, accomodation, KL is continuously building new condo's and houses. You will see yourself when you get here there are buildings going up everywhere. 
Again it is all about the money, the chinese own everything and charge you exorbitant rents for the plushest to simplest accomodation. It really is upto you. There are lots of places to stay in and near sunway, again it is down to your needs and budget. You really need to haggle with the owners regarding the rent and understand that their concept of furnished and unfurnished accomodation is nothing like yours.They will say the accomodation is furnished even if it has curtains hanging in it and nothing else.  I hope all this helps. Good luck.

Very well summarised. I as  a Malaysian can't disagree

Yep, its quite true. If you are not prepared to pay the asking rent, the landlord would rather not have a tenant than have one that is not paying the perceived value of the property???? Stupid, but true.  Malaysia was never a very orthodox Islamic country and only re-adopted Islamic ways about 15 years ago. Young professionals are trying to bring it up to standard, but there is a long way to go. Malaysia is a strict country though and only tolerates Sunni Muslims. All other sects or adherences are not permitted by law. If you want the full Islamic experience, don't live in KL or PJ, you will need to live in the northern states of Kedah, Kelantan and Pahang. But you will probably not enjoy those environments if you have lived overseas as they are very narrow. As a woman in Malaysia, if you venture into the Islamic zones, you will loose your right to think for yourself and have to be always guided by your husband, father or brother. You will be chaperoned and not given the freedoms you have become used to.  So even if you complain about the lax standards in and around KL, you really don't know what you would be letting yourself in for, if you really actually found what you think you are looking for.

Salam dear sis .......i m muslim n mother of 2 girls ......moved here last year ......living in usj .....still looking for nice muslim families ..r u still interested

Salam...how are you? ...how old is your kids? Which school you have put them in?.. My daughter is 7 and I am deliberately looking for a good school for her...which area is usj?

Thx for your prompt answer....as days are passing by I am getting more confused now...it's really tough to diciede on school, house and all sitting in different country...thx for sharing the actual picture of islamic schools...to be very honest I preferred islamic school only thinking on the environment..being from a Muslim country I want to select a school which is not necessarily big n glorified but good education, good administration, caring teachers n all...for my son I prefer to live in sunway or near to sunway...pls advise me some schools which would be good for my daughter and also she can sattle comfortably..

Surely an Islamic education is an oxymoron?

Educate them properly. Leave religion out of it.

BTW the elite Malays  in KL were kept away from Islamic schools and sent to UK. The reason? To keep them sane as future leaders and away from extremism and to accept other's cultures and religions. A wise policy in my opinion that has strengthened Malaysia.

Dear sis zubaida
My kids going kingsley international school .........i m really satisfied wid their pre school .......very friendly staff ......very motherly head of the department from garden school ......n i dont really have religious issues there........its in putra heights only 15 mins drive from my house ........help international also good ....

Thx for your reply....I am not stubborn on islamic school...all I want is a school with good education, environment, administration and overall good caring teachers....since my son will go to sunway university, so I prefer to stay sunway or around that part...so if I get a good school I. That part that would be great for my daughter..
Where do you live? Where are you from?

Hi everyone,

a quick post to remind you that there are two things that we don't really like discussing about on Expat.com : religion and politics.

We are not qualified for discussing about politics nor religion here, and we clearly don't want to become qualified for these two personal matters.

So please, avoid these topics on the forum

Thanks in advance for your comprehension,

Julien

Topic here is school not religion....

Does any of you sisters know any tutor or mosques who teach the little once the Quran? i was thinking if i can't get my kids into an islamic school i just take them to classes on the side. but i have no idea where to start and look for.

I thought it was the father's responsibility to teach his offspring and spouse everything about Islam and the trailing religion?  Contact a local mosque, but expect the language of tuition not to be in English. However, you may get some tips.

I know some agents who provides arabic courses plus quranic teaching to kids ......in english ..,.....once or twice a week the teacher will come to ur place n taje 1.5 hrs class .....quran plus islamic educations  in english .....malay ...arabi .....ur preferable language

would it be possible to get any contact info sister?

Gravitas wrote:

I thought it was the father's responsibility to teach his offspring and spouse everything about Islam and the trailing religion?  Contact a local mosque, but expect the language of tuition not to be in English. However, you may get some tips.

I don't get your question Gravitas- are you wondering why i am looking for a tutor and don't let my hubby take over the teaching or is it just a irrelevant comment?

Anyone any idea on UCSI international school in subang jaya??? Is it a good school interms of education and administration?

Is it basically?

Asalamu alaiqu everyone I am glad I found this recent blog!
I am finishing off my teaching english as a foreign language course and will be applying for jobs soon in KL.
we have been wanting to move for a long time now. I cannot wait to actually take the steps.

iv got alot of info from the above posts and need to consider
traffic
Drive to schools and work
location of house

if there is any other advice please let me know.
Jazkallah khair
masalam
farah