Close

Vintage/ second hand clothes

Hi,
Does anybody know if there are any Vintage or second hand clothing shops/ bazaars in Mauritius?

I lived in middle east/Jordan and almost every Sunday in every town the bus station is converted into this massive bazaar for second hand clothes, clothes mainly coming from Europe, and if you have the patience to dig into the piles of clothes, you can find some really nice vintage and unique pieces for practically nothing.

Thanks
Mariam

Hi Mariam,

No I don't think so.

M

Thanks, M.

hi mariam,

u have second class clothes rather. like tshirts that have been rejected for exports( having a tiny hole or somthing in the collar). they are usually next to the market place.

there's one in quatres bornes, the day there's bazaar sellers(i mean fresh vegetable sellers). u have some in port louis too. u can have jeans, tshirts and local wears at little cost :)

i buy sometimes, good for indoors, gardening, doing small jobs like masonry or so.. the prob is, u have to get the proper sizing :)

cheers,
islander.

Thanks iselander77... yes i know about these factory rejects.. i am just surprised that Mauritius does not have any charity shops or these second hand clothing markets which where all over middle east and they are now becoming popular in Europe for people who are looking for vintage items...

Hi Mariam

I sent you one reply in your inbox regarding the details you wnated on some specific items, and which would not have been proper to be displayed on the forum..

Unfortunately, it was edited and, the mail address was removed.

Kindly suggest some means, where I could get you the required details, since right now there is at least one position available in the field of expertise of your partner.

Cheers

Vayid

hi mariam

Good morning .
Second hand clothers in mauritius i don't think so...we have rejected clothers from factory and here we sometime call it second hand...compare from africa where i just came we have most of the clothers second hand and they call it mitumba.....african languages..Those clothers they sell per kg and diferent varieties are pack in seperate bundles...

that all ..

regards Rishi

Hi!
Wouldn't it be interesting to initiate the setting-up of some sort of barter-shop, where these used/second-hand clothes would change hands?

Rgds,

Chris

Chrisya,

Your idea needs some more digging... but it's very interesting.
I'd love to see such a thing materialise.

Vayid :

Hi Mariam

I sent you one reply in your inbox regarding the details you wnated on some specific items, and which would not have been proper to be displayed on the forum..

Unfortunately, it was edited and, the mail address was removed.

Kindly suggest some means, where I could get you the required details, since right now there is at least one position available in the field of expertise of your partner.

Cheers

Vayid

What you mean Vayid? Nobody can go in your inbox or outbox and edit whatever message you are writing there! It is your private box!
Arlette

Chrisya, Nadeem,

In Ireland, where I come from, they are now getting all mad about second hand clothes, they call now everything that has been used as vintage. There are places where once a week, people come with their unwanted clothes and you exchange each item with somebody else's unwanted piece. In other places, your items are assessed and you are given points and you can use these points to buy other items.

it would be great if we could do something like this here. Somebody’s trash is somebody else's treasure.

Mariam

Hi!
Indeed there is a niche-market in there.
Teenagers need to be trendy, be it in relation to clothes or accessories; they may the ideal source of supply of the stuffs they qualify as obsolete, the moreso that teenagers need cash to cater for the revamping of their look.

Opinion welcome!!

Cheers,

Chris

hi mariam
i would like to talk to you in private about your message how?
i have a project
i live in mauritius

Trouspette,

You can send me a private message, just click on my nick name and you can message me from there...
i am intrigued now..with this project of yours..

Mariam

Mariam>
There is a shop in Rose Hill where they sell second hand clothes.
But clothes are not good qualities and are mostly large sizes.

Even in Europe, there are these kinds of markets, and I'm also surprised that we don't find it here.
In Madagascar too, you can find very good qualities for a lower price.

Maybe those interested could start something like Oxfam here, not only for clothes but books, bags, wool, crochet,knitting etc..

For information from L'Express, the Charity shop at the National Women Development Center, route Royale, Phoenix, will held a charity sale from September 6 to 17, 9am to 4pm, with clothes for children, women and men from 10 to 100 rs.

Excellent, thanks for sharing that with us Catherinedp...

Hi

I think its a great idea to create a barter system :p

zeina

i would like to know what are the brands which are identified as Eco-friendly clothing in Mauritius. please help me out.

dev-07 :

i would like to know what are the brands which are identified as Eco-friendly clothing in Mauritius. please help me out.

Obaibi and Earth Child are organic clothing lines.

alisa_ram, thnX loads dr,,but apart from children, are there eco-friendly clothing for people above 18

One idea that might work here is a clothes and accessories swap party.  You get a group together, bring your good quality unwanted items and everyone swaps.

Try calling a company called SGS. They do inspection in clothing factories; they might be able to help you out. I can ask my organic clothes supplier as well.

Celio for men might have organic shirts/t-shirts/polo shirts etc as well.

Hi everyone involved in this discussion!
I am so happy to see the conversation thread along the same lines as the ones I have been having with people I met here so far.

I see that this thread hasn't been active since last year. I was wondering whether the same sentiment and will to at least explore possibility of opening up a second hand/charity shop (if one has not been created in meanwhile) still exits?

hi maja Z,,, i will be happy if a second hand shop is being open,,and wiZ proper marketing tool and a good entrepreneurial mind,, this will surely b a success

I think in mauritius, some people offer these clothes if they know somebody who are in need. Also sometimes people donate for charity if there are some countries who had a disaster like tsunami, earthquake, cyclone etc. Like myself i sent lot of my clothes to some charity shop when i was in Ireland, but here in mauritius i give to people who are very poor and in need. Also there is a charity shop at Beau Bassin, next to SBM, They will take your unwanted clothes and will sell it cheap to the public.

Vintage and second hand items to be sold in VS Deco's garden, Ambrose Street, sunday 18th september 11am to 4pm!!!

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Thank you all for the information! This blog truly is amazing. I will go check out the charity shop and this market next Sunday. I will update you with how it goes.

If everything works out with my visa and I stay for longer amount of time here, as part of my work I plan to engage with youth of Mauritius. If I see that there is a need being expressed by them for more of things like this, I will get back to you on this forum.

Keep posting any new info related to this topic.
Thanks in advance,
Maja

hi maja, streets sales will be your competitors: jeans, trousers, you can find everything in port louis(near air mauritius building)...check out before venturing..

yours kindly
I.

[Moderated: free ad is not allowed on the forum]

Thank you so much for those who participated at today's Charity Event, O Chic Bazaar!!! It was a huge success. We had to close much earlier than 4pm because by 1pm, we were sold out!!! We're definitely having another one soon, it will always be on a Sunday. I'll keep you posted.
Thank you again!
Sabrina

Hey everyone!

I just found out that every first sunday of the month there is a second hand bazar in Black River in front of Tuti Fruity store.

See some of you there :)
Maja

Maja Z :

Hey everyone!

I just found out that every first sunday of the month there is a second hand bazar in Black River in front of Tuti Fruity store.

See some of you there :)
Maja

Cool! Morning or afternoon?

Hi All,

LOVING this thread!  :)  I am interested in helping to get something like this going!  Whether it is a clothing swap amongst us girls or something else.

I wanted to share what we did in St Thomas...where I just recently moved from.  There was a shop set up at the local animal shelter. It was very basic, but enough to showcase second hand clothes, small appliances, toys, etc.  When people moved off island (which happened a lot!) or when they simply cleaned out their closets/homes, they would drop their donations off at the shop and then volunteers (that could be all of us on this thread!!) would assist in sorting the donations and then running the shop and selling the donations to locals.  It was a fantastic way to help the people in the community while helping the sweet animals at the same time (all proceeds went right back to the animal shelter!)

Anyway, we just moved to the island (been here about 10 days now) and I would love to find out where the animal shelter is located and how to volunteer my time.  Also, if anyone is interested in a clothing swap or trying to set up something at the shelter, please let me know.  I'm always ready to lend a hand!

Have a super day!

Courtney  :)

Try at PRIDE MARK.... new cloth at very good price.. LOcation:-
port louis . - near the market
Trianon
Jumbo Riche Terre

Hey Christel see here: http://mu.onefutureoneplanet.org/event/ … and-bazar/

Hey Courtney welcome to the island and yes wonderful idea (very practical too)... I am choker busy blocked in the week to come, so am not allowing myself to indulge the idea you proposed just yet. I will get in touch soon to see how we could develop it further :)

Hi, In London I came across something called a 'Swap Shop'. You bring you unwanted clothes, get some sort of value for it and then can chose other clothes in return.

I would love to see secondhand/vintage here in Mauritius. I have seen 1 charity shop in the North but the quality of the clothes there could not be compared with what gems you can find in a charity shop in Europe. Very bad and very used...

Keep going with this!!

I know what you mean charity shops or nearly new shops don't seem to exist here like the UK.  I think one of the challenges here is that the family networks are so large that they tend to pass things around that way.

With regards to a swap shop - some people in the UK also organise one amongst friends and colleagues as a one off event.  Would that work here via this blog???

Expatriate health insurance in Mauritius

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mauritius

Moving to Mauritius

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mauritius

Travel insurance in Mauritius

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Mauritius

Flights to Mauritius

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Mauritius