Some Adivice on Kuwait 'Airport'

So can someone on here give me some ideas on the following when like everyone else in the country, we have to make use of the 'airport' .

1. Has anyone ever tried to do this and take their own car to the airport for obvious reasons (uncivilized hours for friends to drive you, or simply because that is how it 'NORMALLY' is in 2014?)... but then the 'long term car park' is closed as it's not big enough.. what would you do then?.. and not going into possibility of loosing your flight and what to do then...

2. Owing to the lack of the above facilities.. you come back to Kuwait again at say 2.30am.. and then there are NO LIMOS or TAXIS available to try and go back home and you need to wait another 2 hours for a taxi to appear?
cheers

I have a bunch of friends here. Never needed facilities. If I'm not mistaken there are some 24 hours call taxi services, but I need to make sure of that.

i believe regular taxi's cant pick you up from the airport, dont quote me on it but i heard that from a taxi driver whilst i was in highschool - they can drop you off, but not pick you up.

as for your concern regarding parking; there is an alternative, if you do not mind walking.

it will either be a quick or less-quick detour, but here is how it goes:
if the police haven't blocked off the road which leads infront of the airport directly, meaning you pass by the doors where arrivals come out from, take that road and keep going past the doors, ignore the first left, you will come to a fork in the road, you can either take a left and head back to route 50 or a right, you will find yourself in an area full of airport govt. offices. keep going straight and you will find the Kuwait Airways main office on your right, with plenty of free spacious parking. if you ever played rugby in kuwait you will know that there is also a football pitch on the other side, again with free spacious parking.

if the road infront of the airport is blocked by cops, then you need to head to route 50, take the first right exit and keep going right (dont stop at the traffic light, take the free right); and then you end up hitting the same spots as mentioned above.

it sounds highly confusing until you are actually there and driving around.

Hi Justfedup, thanks but can tell you some of us are not that lucky :)

Hey legacy.. ever anyone told you you're a star?  :thanks::top:

Thanks so much for the heads up.. i'm going down there first thing tomorrow to try and follow your directions. Will let you know what I find!

And you are right, pick ups from the airport by a Taxi are deemed 'illegal'.. in the ridiculous situation we all faced several times, including last one on 2nd of Jan around 3 am, there were hundreds of people waiting for non existent taxis - then you go to the departure drop off area and they refuse to take you home! This is often happening now with every set of holidays when lots Locals and expats are coming back from holidays. It also only takes the 3 large daily flights coming into kuwait to grind the whole system to a halt, passport control, baggage pick up, security scanning and now the taxis LOL! - try being caught when KLM, Lufthansa and Emirates happen to land at the same time LOL!! Good luck with that!  :cool:

I feel guilty saying what I said. You know what ... whenever you're in a situation like that and I'm in Kuwait, give me a call (I'm serious). I've done this so many times it feels like I was born to do this ;)

Hey legacy, what about the google maps link? I might need that location soon. :)

i'll try to hook it up Riba :D i remember it was quite tedious trying to find the place when the rugby folks used to practice there, but being the keen observer i am, i could not help but notice the plentiful parking spots available in the area, a short walk away from the airport, and quite far removed from the angry policemen of the airport.

hope you were able to find it SportsMan :D and thank you  :cheers:

I did go up there to have a nose around.. Legacy, you are talking about that football field around all those departments right? I can confirm what legacy said and there are quite a bit of parking spaces, though some of them do have a barrier because there are lots of Government Departments around. When I will use it, I will actually use the parking space in that football field as both times I went it was totally empty and deserted, though I am not sure when it is used. The gate to this field always seems empty.
Ribsom, I do suggest you go have a nose around beforehand as well.. you can easily find it on google maps or use your mobile GPS - you can see the football field on the right side of the airport terminal,  but quite frankly both are not much help until you get there - as I said many places have got a barrier and the traffic system there is quite confusing.

Thanks so much for your help.  :idontagree:

I believe the easiest way to get to that area is driving on road 55 all the way straight to the airport. This area will be on your right. I did park there once when the traffic in the airport was absolutely HORRENDOUS. That area was virtually empty and probably no one would notice even if you park in one of'em government offices.

yes you are right SportsMan, the field is right there and the other areas are closed off. there is one however that is not closed, if you are coming from the 55, just keep driving till its end, you will get to a roundabout, if you go right you get to the airport, go left :)

there is a VIP terminal there i think, and plenty of open parking. that being said, it is the farthest (albeit most direct) walk from the airport, but its the safest bet.

I might use it myself, coz i'm travelling for the weekend starting tomorrow :D

3 yrs i've been here and nobody told me that one, i'll be parking there from now on thx!

trust me, it saves a lot of hassle when it comes to picking people up! most of the time u find the cops closing off the road that leads to the airport door, which means you have no choice but to enter the parking lot, which is a hassle especially during rush times! so yeah, park over there and either walk back to your car, or park there and drive to the small roundabout when exiting the road infront of the airport, either way, u save a lot of time!

Legacy, i have used that space since we last chatted on here and it is brilliant. And yeah Rob, nobody tells you these things, especially most expats as they just don't know the ins and outs of the place.. unless you're Legacy of course  :D;) CHEERS again  :):thanks:

thanks legacy for the information

aww come on guys you're making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :P

glad to be of assistance!

You deserve it @Lagacy ... a standing ovation from the expats ;)