Buying a car

So I'm planning on buying a car...
What do I need to be able to buy one and how/where do I get insurance for it?

Also, buying a car from an individual, what do I need in terms if documentation?

Thanks for any help in advance!!!

Hi,

If you want to buy a car in Hungary maybe i can help you.
However i have red that you live in Kuwait.
So, i can help you find an appropriate car and translate documents, insurance, etc.
My issue is training english with you.
Send me a message.
Bye
Lazlo

ummmmm, ok, nvm that :P

SCG, marhaba and hello to Kuwait! congrats in advance on ur desire to join the league of speedesr, i mean drivers, in Kuwait.

now, i wish i could draw a tree diagram for u, but here goes:

1) New or used?
- if new, you need a salary continuity certificate from your job, along with your civil ID. depends on which bank you are going to go thru, its best to use the same bank where u have ur salary deposited, coz then they wont ask u for a statement. also, if its the same bank,they wont charge u fees for setting up the monthly deduction. (its usually 5KD to set-up, and 2KD a month above the installments, or 0.500KD if its the same bank)

I recently bought a new car, through NBK, and didnt pay a dime in fees. just the installment + interest on consumer loan.

if its gonna be used, you dont need any documents, u just head on over to the DMV with the person selling the car and transfer ownership there. It must have no outstanding tickets.

You can buy a used car through a bank, however that would be a personal loan and not a consumer loan, hence higher interest.

i would suggest u get a new car, if its too big an investment for u, then a car that is roughly a model 2006+ with relatively few mileage (calculate that it does 30K a year), coz then u wont have to keep taking it to a garage. also, always deal with the dealership for maintenance, trust me on that.

asides from that, Gentlemen Start your Engines!

check out q8car.com and the classified in al-wasseet, but be careful when buying a used car as the owner will not volunteer the info regarding what he has done to it in terms of accidents etc unless they are honest. most of the time they always include the clause of "inspection". and that will run you around 25~35KD depending on what u want to inspect (engine, chassis, undercarriage etc) and it is best done at a place called Golden Sands in Shuwaikh.

hope this was useful!

@ legacy....
A long over due thank you!!!

I've got a used car picked out from an individual... But everyone says have to have my residencey and driver's liecance to be able to buy it.... Is this so?

you need residency to buy it, yes as you cannot own property without a valid residency.

u can rent a car with an international license, or if you ask the people at the DMV they'll tell you whether or not you can just use your American Licence, or better yet, just have it converted to a kuwaiti one when you have residency.

are they "your employers" going to make you a resident, or are you expected to travel out every three months and come back in on a visit visa?

even if residency is expired, it needs to be renewed for such a purchase.

if you came on a commercial visa, its just a matter of a week or so, hoping no one messes up said procedures :P

Thanks for your post

loool Expati. Not to sound negative but expect a few months for everything. With Ramadan right now that will add a few weeks to the whole process.. good luck

dear Expati, welcome to Expat-Blog, firstly :D

second, i see ur coming from dubai, if that be the case you can also convert ur dubai drivers license here, or even use it freely until your residency is processed.

generally speaking, a commercial visa is quicker to convert into a residency. however, much like Kona808 said, Ramadan is upon us. meaning ministries etc work for fewer hours, and the hours they do work they are catching up on the latest soaps etc.

being a canadian citizen u need not worry about residency troubles etc. coz even without a commercial visa, ur visit visa on arrival is valid for 3 months. u can also rent apartments without a visa, being a western national.

so in the end, adopt Alfred E. Neumans strategy to life; "What, me worry?"

:D

Thanks

I can help you find an appropriate car and translate documents, insurance, etc.
My issue is training english with you.