Moving to Abu Dhabi with large family

I will be making a huge change, moving my family half way around the world! I have 4 kids ranging from 8 yrs to 13 yrs old.  I have been reading the forums trying to gather as much info as possible as this move is way out of the comfort zone for us! Thank you all for the information so far. I'm hoping to get some additional insight / advice from you. Thank you in advance for your help.

1) I have very athletically inclined kids. My girls play soccer, volleyball, and basketball as well as being very competitive in track / cross country. My son plays mostly soccer but is also interested in baseball, football, and volleyball. My question is are school sports competitive? Locally, we have to join "select" teams outside of school to get proper training and competition. How are things in AD? Are certain schools better then others?

2) I will be moving in January, but the family won't move until June. For the 6 months, are there long term 1 room type options that I could rent until they get there and we find a larger place, or do I need to stay in a hotel? Most rentals I see listed have 1 year leases.

3) I read on one post that I shouldn't bring anything that plugs in. I think this was referring mainly to large appliances, TVs, etc.  What about my laptop, tablet, Xbox, or Wii?

4) will we be able to use taxis to get my family of 6 around, or do I need to look into a vehicle right away?

I know I'm all over the Mao here, we are still in the overwhelmed stage!!! Thank you for any help / advice you can offer.

Hi rudder,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I invite you to have a look at the United Arab Emirates Guide which will provide you with some useful information.

I am sure the members will also give you some helpful advices very soon.

Best of luck,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

No feedback? Is there a more active forum elsewhere?

UP! :)

Hi rudder > maybe if you ask one question at a time: it would be easier for the other members to answer as it is written in the code of conduct ;)

Members will contact you soon.

All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

rudder wrote:

I will be making a huge change, moving my family half way around the world! I have 4 kids ranging from 8 yrs to 13 yrs old.  I have been reading the forums trying to gather as much info as possible as this move is way out of the comfort zone for us! Thank you all for the information so far. I'm hoping to get some additional insight / advice from you. Thank you in advance for your help.

1) I have very athletically inclined kids. My girls play soccer, volleyball, and basketball as well as being very competitive in track / cross country. My son plays mostly soccer but is also interested in baseball, football, and volleyball. My question is are school sports competitive? Locally, we have to join "select" teams outside of school to get proper training and competition. How are things in AD? Are certain schools better then others?

2) I will be moving in January, but the family won't move until June. For the 6 months, are there long term 1 room type options that I could rent until they get there and we find a larger place, or do I need to stay in a hotel? Most rentals I see listed have 1 year leases.

3) I read on one post that I shouldn't bring anything that plugs in. I think this was referring mainly to large appliances, TVs, etc.  What about my laptop, tablet, Xbox, or Wii?

4) will we be able to use taxis to get my family of 6 around, or do I need to look into a vehicle right away?

I know I'm all over the Mao here, we are still in the overwhelmed stage!!! Thank you for any help / advice you can offer.

I would like to give some tips. Which you may find helpful.

1) schools are good for sports education but you can find better one outside school. Check for some sports clubs. You will defenitly find one. But the problem you may face will be like, other kids who normally joins these clubs will extra sportive. Competition is high.

2) you can find 1 bhk or 2 bhk on monthly basis. Its like some people lease flats and they give it for others on short terms for profit. like few months weeks etc. you can get information regarding these short term accommodation from local shops, groceries etc. or you can find it in dubizzle also. Try to talk to few local agents. or just take a walk on the streets you will find lots of bill boards in the streets and walls. Do a small research and you can have a good bargain.

3) Home appliances is not at all a problem. just find the movers advts in the olx.com website and dial. They will come and help you to get your stuffs moves. Just make sure to stay with the or they will handle everything roughly.

4) hire a private taxi cab. Or loan your friend's SUV for a day.