Commute times for morning drive

I have found out that I will be working near the Sheikh Saad General Aviation Terminal in the southern part of the airport.  I want to live in Salmiya because I have heard that it is the most popular spot for expats but I don't want some really bad commute in the mornings to work, thirty minutes is about the most I can stand.  I was curious what some of your experience is with the morning commute and what do you recommend as far as good place to live and not to crazy traffic.

I work near there too and did live in Salmiya too. My commute times were about 30-40 minutes (I start work at 07:30) and about 25 minutes if I left five minutes earlier than usual. It's a balance between work and home life, at least you can walk to the shops if you are in Salmiya but most other places you'll have to use your car.  That said you will not want to walk in the summer months no matter how close the shops are.

well said Kevan :)

whether you like it or not, chances are u might end up getting stuck in traffic for longer than 30 minutes due to accidents on roads that cause bottlenecks. ur best bet is to leave home as early as possible.

Cool, I know I won't be able to avoid getting stuck in traffic from accidents sometimes but I have heard that the schools in the area make traffic horrible in the mornings.  Is there another area with less traffic problems and similar convenience?  My wife doesn't have a driving license license and won't work so I want her to be able to walk and take buses easily to do activities so she isn't to bored during the day.

My wife takes a taxi (although she can drive we don't have two cars) most trips are 1.5 and 2KWD - always ask for the price before the journey or make sure the meter is on. We were stung once when we just arrived and didn't know the real cost of trips.  I've not heard of anyone taking the buses...

Can I suggest she joins the British ladies Society  theblskuwait.com  they have a good library and support group to get her started and they are also in Salmiya.

Thanks

KevanV wrote:

My wife takes a taxi (although she can drive we don't have two cars) most trips are 1.5 and 2KWD - always ask for the price before the journey or make sure the meter is on. We were stung once when we just arrived and didn't know the real cost of trips.  I've not heard of anyone taking the buses...

Can I suggest she joins the British ladies Society  theblskuwait.com  they have a good library and support group to get her started and they are also in Salmiya.

I brought up the British Ladies Society to her and she was very interested.  It seems she will be on a waiting list to join because she is Hungarian and not British but she is excited about the book clubs and coffee meets.  Thanks for the tip.

that seems a bit pretentious and borderline snooty "/

there is another literary wonder in Kuwait known as the Kuwait Writing Club https://www.google.com.kw/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFEQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkuwaitwritingclub.com%2Fabout%2F&ei=u2i6Uo_aAoWshQfr0IHACQ&usg=AFQjCNEOLAeN7cfkbmQeM3k2HGATxM02gA&sig2=U8cQ77vHrz25rLRmWK1bUw&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZG4

they organize their meetings at the q8BookStore in Bait Lothan in salmiya right next to marina mall.

check them out; also, there is the kuwait bibliophiles on facebook.

legacy wrote:

that seems a bit pretentious and borderline snooty "/

there is another literary wonder in Kuwait known as the Kuwait Writing Club [img align=link]https://www.google.com.kw/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFEQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkuwaitwritingclub.com%2Fabout%2F&ei=u2i6Uo_aAoWshQfr0IHACQ&usg=AFQjCNEOLAeN7cfkbmQeM3k2HGATxM02gA&sig2=U8cQ77vHrz25rLRmWK1bUw&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZG4[/url]

they organize their meetings at the q8BookStore in Bait Lothan in salmiya right next to marina mall.

check them out; also, there is the kuwait bibliophiles on facebook.

I seen the Facebook group on another thread here today so I will bring that one up to her as well along with the writing club.  Thanks for the info.