Discover the new expat blog

Hi everyone,

as you can notice, we've released a new version of the Expat.com. Of course we'll all need a few days to get used to it.

Why these changes ?

You can read the official announcement here :

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=327061

The main improvement is that Expat.com is now optimized for mobiles and tablets. Have you already tried browsing Expat.com on your mobile ?

Of course everything is not perfect, we've already identified issues on IE, we will release our fist fixes tomorrow, and will improve the website little by little. Should you notice any bug or issue, please do not hesitate to post on the "help us to improve the website" forum

The team and I hope you will little by little discover the improvements we've made and that you will appreciate them.

So far, what do you think about this new version ?

Sincerely yours,

Julien

I like the old version, this one is so plain. It reminds me of the new Yahoo mail changes, everything is in a collapsed thread. When I logged on and saw the new look I closed the site and re-opened it 4 different times hoping it would go back to the previous layout, I thought I had the wrong web site. Sadly, I realized the site has implemented the "updated" version. I bought a new laptop and saw windows 8 which is stupid so I went back to using my broken laptop because it still has the old windows, why does everyone feel change is needed? How about a poll first? Ask your readers if they would like it instead of "take it or leave it." I haven't decided yet if I will continue with the site or move on......

Collapsed thread format is frustrating!

Thanks for sharing your first feelings with us. Of course we'll all need a few days to get used to it, and we completely understand your frustration. But hopefully, little by little, you'll realize all the improvements we've made on this version.

why does everyone feel change is needed?

The internet is changing. It's getting mobile. All websites will have to adapt. We consulted many experts, even Google advised us several times.

Collapsed thread format is frustrating!

You mean this page ? https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=417

dont like it at all

I think it is fantastic. People will oppose the change by default. :)

change is difficult because at first you feel frustrated you cannot do what you previously could, until you realize its just a different layout but the core message is the same: expats helping expats.

the one constant in life is that everything changes; adapt & accept :)

I agree, change is difficult.  I liked the old format but I am sure this one will grow on me after awhile.

legacy wrote:

change is difficult because at first you feel frustrated you cannot do what you previously could, until you realize its just a different layout but the core message is the same: expats helping expats.

the one constant in life is that everything changes; adapt & accept :)

Hey Legacy, do like and appreciate your philosophy and fully agree with you that everything changes -  but then why accept  and adapt to something that is way inferior, just for the sake of adapting? Change should be for the better and not the opposite :).

Wasn't there before the site changed so I don't really know the difference. However, I had a bit of difficulty with getting around a few things. I work in IT and I know all about user resistance. From the replies I read, I didn't get the point of why people don't like the new look and feel. Addressing the problems more specifically will definitely help improve the site while harnessing the benefits of the new changes.

Glad to be part of this blog ... have a good time, y'all!

SportsMan wrote:

Hey Legacy, do like and appreciate your philosophy and fully agree with you that everything changes -  but then why accept  and adapt to something that is way inferior, just for the sake of adapting? Change should be for the better and not the opposite :).

how is it inferior mon ami? i for one am glad that with this new theme i can finally access expat-blog from my smart phone, and for that luxury i'm willing to invest a bit of time learning the ropes of the new site :)

its easier for me coz i bookmarked the kuwait forum, otherwise i did face difficulty navigating to it, but again, its just the initial reaction, once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you ever lived with the one.

the only time change was refused legitimately was the infamous Coca cola and new coke story :D