Volunteers on Malta & Gozo.

I just have to post this. Figures released today show that nearly one in every 14 people on these islands (30,000 of appx 419,000) is involved in voluntary work and half that number state it is because they believe it is their moral duty. That number includes those aged over 12 years so the actual proportion of people involved is higher. If only other countries followed this example.

Another amazing insight: Forty-four per cent of males and 37 per cent of females had been doing voluntary work for more than a decade. Most volunteers engaged in such activities for less than 10 hours per week, while 5,900 dedicated more than 30 hours per week for such endeavours.

(Usually it is women who are more likely to be involved in voluntary work.)

These stats speak volumes for the character of the people here.
If only other countries follwed this example.

is that further broken down into locals and foreigners?

or in other words, 90%+ do nothing

Its difficult to compare different surveys as the questions aren't the same, but

http://philanthropy.com/article/26-of-A … eer/62876/
"26% of Americans Volunteer, New Study Finds" (from 2008)

http://data.ncvo.org.uk/a/almanac12/alm … in-the-uk/

"During 2010/11, 39% of adults in England said that they had volunteered formally at least once in the previous 12 months, with 25% volunteering formally at least once a month."

I don'know if it's the same here as in UK but 'volunteering' in UK is also linked to some work finding and has association regarding some Benefits Entitlement.
But why are you trying to demean the efforts here?
I know you work in the voluntary sector but not everyone can.

id say its not demeaning the effort Red i d say it was for a sense of balance

toonarmy9752 wrote:

id say its not demeaning the effort Red i d say it was for a sense of balance

Fair comment.

"These stats speak volumes for the character of the people here."

I find what the less than 10% do very admirable, but it is only less than 10%