Where to buy Galangal ginger and a Citronelle plant?

Does anyone know where one can buy Galangal in Mauritius for use in thai recipes? Ordinary ginger just doesn't cut it.

Also I'd be very grateful if someone guided me to a specific nursery/pépinière where I could get a healthy Citronelle plant. I use it quite a bit in both the thai recipes and for infusions.

I've tried a couple of Espace Maison/Jardin outlets - one didn't have it and the other one had some rather sickly specimens.

Thanks in advance for any leads on these two items!

Hello, Laviemaurice
We bought Citronelle plant at Vacoas. There is an open air place on Candos Vacoas road. You will see there are a lot of different plants, flowers, herbs, cactuses.

Thx a ton Olga, I think I know the place. Is it on the right of the road as one comes from Jumbo Phoenix towards Candos? (where everyone stops in the middle of the road to buy vegetables from a guy in the field)

Yes, it is this place.

Today I'm planning a first visit to the new Medine Garden Centre at Cascavelle for a quick look around as well. Apparently they have both a nursery and sell their own fruits/vegetables.

Anyone know about where to buy some Galangal?

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question and it's called something else in Kreol Morisien? :)

Laviemaurice wrote:

Today I'm planning a first visit to the new Medine Garden Centre at Cascavelle for a quick look around as well. Apparently they have both a nursery and sell their own fruits/vegetables.

Anyone know about where to buy some Galangal?

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question and it's called something else in Kreol Morisien? :)

Try asking for "Longouse or longouze" from the same family and see whether the root  is the same thing as Galangal that you get in Thailand.

Hello,
Hope you are doing fine. Could you find Galangal in Mauritius? Please let me know where. Thank you. Take care.

Hello there
I have planted citronelle around my house in Chamarel as it is a mosquito repellant

I am back in Mu on the 21st Nov. until the 13 January 2014. You will be very welcome to a plant.

Keep in touch, i have relatives in QuatreBornes and Portlouis, we could meet up if you cant come to Chamarel. I will bring the plant with me
You will be welcome if you decide to come and see us

Chandra

Hi
If "lingouze" is the same as the ginger plant that you are looking for , i have it in Chamarel.Some reofer to it as wild ginger.
The flowers are pretty and different

Chandra

Hi,
Thank you very much. From where did you get it? I m staying in rose-hill. Anywhere in the centre you know I could buy Galangal? I need the ginger itself for cooking. And if I could buy a plant for future use.
Thank you