Melita fibre packages monthly download limits

Hi there

We have just moved to malta and i am about to get the internet setup.. Being used to sky with truly unlimited internet i am a bit off by reading that melita has traffic management policy but i read few posts saying that is 'fair'.

Having said that what are they? Say on the top packages like 60 and 100 mbps?

Also any reason for such slow uploads? I had 10 mbit upload flat with sky in uk and it was awesome! Is their network not strong for giving more upload or they just want to push more vod and selling tv on demand hence the generous download?

Finally if i get their package with fibre and tv, if tv comes off the fibre will that count on my monthly download limit too? (hope not)

Thanks a lot
Gab

Hi gabrio,

if you have TV in your package it does not count against your limit.

What usage do you intend to get you near the limit? Streaming UK TV online day and night ?

Normally it is not an issue but ....Malta is not the UK -)))
Whether a package suits your usage is easily calculated!

But it could also be an issue of discrimination! Contact Byron , he usually has petitions that you sign if you feel that you are being treated wrong.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi gabrio,

if you have TV in your package it does not count against your limit.

What usage do you intend to get you near the limit? Streaming UK TV online day and night ?

Normally it is not an issue but ....Malta is not the UK -)))
Whether a package suits your usage is easily calculated!

But it could also be an issue of discrimination! Contact Byron , he usually has petitions that you sign if you feel that you are being treated wrong.

Cheers
Ricky

Well could be some hd movies here and there and then all the everyday browsing.. Few days of hard download i did 24-30gb daily easy with a 33 mbits fibre connection in uk so with a faster connection thats soo easy...

Plus they count both upload and download together. Clearly written on their site too. We do quite many skype hd video calls.

Bottom line i'd Average i think 5gb / day. So 150gb a month e a s y!

Thanks
Gab

thats not a problem at all.....i ve been doing similar usages for years with a 30mbps with melita and it hasnt been an issue and have have not had the throttle backs.....

toonarmy9752 wrote:

thats not a problem at all.....i ve been doing similar usages for years with a 30mbps with melita and it hasnt been an issue and have have not had the throttle backs.....

Ok not bad then i was thinking to get the 50 or 100mb one... But why upload is sooo slow here? Infrastructure cannot keep up?

Thanks
Gab

For what do you need fast upload?

"If you're uploading and downloading through the same "pipe," increasing upload speeds requires decreasing download speeds and that is one of the mayor problems anywhere"

michael78 wrote:

For what do you need fast upload?

"If you're uploading and downloading through the same "pipe," increasing upload speeds requires decreasing download speeds and that is one of the mayor problems anywhere"

Oh well for once i like doing hd video calls with skype and that alone uses approx 300 k/ sec which is 2.5 mbit itself alonem then i also upload files to dropbox, ftp etc etc.. All in all its the slowest upload speed ive ever seen on fibre and also super expensive. I guess they have to bank on the 10 mil euro optic cable under sicily :-) they put in place! Around 90 eur for 100 mbit is really expensive. Not to repeat myself but back in uk you have 40/10 for 20£ or 80/20 for £30 with sky plus phone at 14.50 which is like 40 - 50 eur a month total and it delivers. Oh well

Thanks for info guys
Gab

I have 60Mpbs and download all day everyday and have never had a problem. I also upload to dropbox, Mp3, playstation etc and never had a problem?

Interesting article about Melita speeds
http://www.melita.com/eu-confirms-melit … -provider/

coxf0001 wrote:

I have 60Mpbs and download all day everyday and have never had a problem. I also upload to dropbox, Mp3, playstation etc and never had a problem?

Yeah I've seen that report, I am not saying they are not good. I am just saying that a) it's VERY expensive and b) upload is slow.

That's that
Gab

gabrio wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:

Yeah I've seen that report, I am not saying they are not good. I am just saying that a) it's VERY expensive and b) upload is slow.

That's that
Gab

Lol, welcome to Malta! I can't compare as I have been here a while...You have to bare in mind, we have only gone digital in the last 5 years or so!

I have to say that I am also a bit disappointed with my Melita's download and upload speeds. I pay for a 60MB internet bundle and I don't get even half of the speed I am paying for. When I do a speed test, I get average just over 2MB upload speed, which I reckon there's something wrong there.
I already called the Melita's engineer but the only thing the guy did, was changing my router. I will probably have to call them again at some point coz I am paying for a service I don't get full advantage of it.

mantonas wrote:

I have to say that I am also a bit disappointed with my Melita's download and upload speeds. I pay for a 60MB internet bundle and I don't get even half of the speed I am paying for. When I do a speed test, I get average just over 2MB upload speed, which I reckon there's something wrong there.
I already called the Melita's engineer but the only thing the guy did, was changing my router. I will probably have to call them again at some point coz I am paying for a service I don't get full advantage of it.

Well technically on the 60 mbit package the upload IS 2 mbit. if you want more, there's the 100 mbit package that has 4.

http://www.melita.com/personal/internet/packages/

You're right gabrio but still paying for 60MB speed and not getting even 20MB, it's a bit strange in my opinion. I know I would never get the full 60MB but at least over 30MB I was expecting to.

Perhaps you should try a speedtest on a different computer? On my iMac I get what I pay for, but on my iPad only half.
The upload limit of 2 is really a joke with Melita.

my speed is also spot on.....

I did tests on different computers but the results were very similar...I will have to get them to check the line where I get the internet from.

Just ask melita to re-provision your router...... did my test last night - (no other pages or apps running)  and on a 30mbps service get 28.7mbps down the pipe and 1.5mbps up it.

mantonas wrote:

You're right gabrio but still paying for 60MB speed and not getting even 20MB, it's a bit strange in my opinion. I know I would never get the full 60MB but at least over 30MB I was expecting to.

Well, can you try to test the speed over classic 100 Mbit cable rather than wifi? Sometimes it the wifi adapter on your computer cannot handle more than XX speed when connected to a certain wifi router. Forget if it says "connected at 300 Mbps".

And also, if you use a mobile, don't expect to get the full whack either.

I always recommend to test the speed with Ethernet cable, preferably if you have a cat5 or cat6 possibly.

And last by not least, wifi also is not that "good" for your health, especially if you have kids, you may want to switch it off and use the cable, I know is a mess with the cable, but hey that's up to you, or you can switch it off when you sleep.

There's plenty of articles saying that..

Cheers
Gab

BTW just FYI, I found this (after 10 mins of searching, it's well hidden), from http://www.melita.com/company/terms-con … f-service/

5.4 We reserve the right to monitor and control data volume and/or types of traffic transmitted via your Service and in the event your use of Service risks degradation of service levels to other customers, puts our system at risk, is not in keeping with the Acceptable Usage Policy and/or does not comply with your Agreement and these Terms, we reserve the right to reduce, suspend or terminate your Service or restrict certain type of traffic on your Service. During any time of reduction, suspension or restriction you will remain liable for the payment of your monthly Service charge.

The fair usage download thresholds for Fibre Powered Internet Packages are as follows :

• 15Mbps – 100GB/month
• 25Mbps – 250GB/month
• 50Mbps – 450GB/month
• 100Mbps – 800GB/month

i dint see that as a problem - quite reasonable i think.

Hi folks

I got the 60 mbit package installed.. Works well but i noticed the speed ia odd... In the afternoon it seems i cannot download more than 1.3-1.6 mb/sec but in the evening i gotup to 6.5-7.0 mb/sec which is almost 60 mbit maxxed.

Now this happens both on torrent and say a video driver download apparently. Is that normal?? I had it since few weeks and maybe downloaded 50 gigs i think.

Thanks
Gabrio

Also it seems its like this every day. Sure i understand traffic peaks at days or from other countries on their network but limited just like that every day? Is that their speed management in progress? Shall i complain? At the end of the day this service costs a lot and im paying 60 eur a month and put down 100 eur deposit too. Is it too much to ask what i paid for to be there?

they seem to have started managing the uploads too - as i exceeded the upload speed 1.5mbps for a few days last week and they throttled me back to about 10mbps from 30mbps.... but have since started managing my system a wee bit better and my speed is now back to normal

toonarmy9752 wrote:

they seem to have started managing the uploads too - as i exceeded the upload speed 1.5mbps for a few days last week and they throttled me back to about 10mbps from 30mbps.... but have since started managing my system a wee bit better and my speed is now back to normal

Wow shocking.. With the price they charge. Highest in europe. I filed a complaint. Lets see if it goes anywhere.

Cheers
Gab