Close

Can you buy mace or pepper spray anywhere? hcmc

Hey guys my friend has recently moved here shes a white lady and says she would like to try get some pepper spray or mace as a form of protecion just incase, she feels safe in general but she says she would feel a lot better with some protection, anyone any ideas? thanks

just seen this home made version, maybe a good idea lol http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-pepper-spray/

Nope at least not legally and if she's going shopping illegally then I'd be less worried about buying mace.
TBH she's not got a lot to worry about unless he's putting herself in some dodgy situations. Most singe females never have any issues here, the worst I've come across is bag snatching but violent crime is rare on the hole.

Yes I tend to agree shes only been here a couplke of months so still a bit wary, think well just try make her own, could be fun lol oh just thought phobo place at mines has the hottest chilli sauce ever that could be a good ingredient lol

Be street smart. Don't flash your purse and you will be fine.
Carrying of concealed weapons may work against you. Alternate is a whistle.

Yep keep in mind, if your carrying weapons you not only increase the risk of being hurt yourself, far more serious than you would be without, unless you are well versed in using them in stressful situations, but if caught by the authorities will face sever penalties for doing so.
Tell her to go do some martial arts\street defense courses if she feels vulnerable\at risk, they will be far more effective than fishing around in her handbag (which is already likely to have been snatched).

best protection is a woman's voice. Tell her to scream an cuop (robber) many times or cong an (police). Locals hate thieves so they'll lynch him.

Unless I plan on a big purchase, I rarely have more than 1 million on me, no wallet just a copy of my passport when I am out.  If someone wants to rob me, I am not about to risk hurting or killing someone over $48 usd. I will gladly give it to them.  People need to use common sense, be aware of your environment and project a confident behavior.

Best advice I can give her, don't carry a handbag. I realise it's a ballache when wearing a dress or skirt but just use a clutch (or stash things in boyfriends pockets/bra). You're only as vulnerable as you make yourself..

hELLnoi :

Be street smart. Don't flash your purse...

...or anything else.

jakejas :
hELLnoi :

Be street smart. Don't flash your purse...

...or anything else.

Split the money you carry into TWO amounts.
1. small amounts - small notes totalling no more than 100-150k vnd
2. other amount - up to 1million VND

NEVER flash USDee
and yes, NO purses when possible.
Otherwise, hold your purse close to your body.

NEVER challenge a robber/snatch thief. Your life is more than 1M VN Dong!

AlexSarah :

Best advice I can give her, don't carry a handbag. I realise it's a ballache when wearing a dress or skirt but just use a clutch (or stash things in boyfriends pockets/bra). You're only as vulnerable as you make yourself..

Boyfriend's bra, reminds me of a joke I heard in Thailand. This guy's girlfriend told him a small penis should not matter with true love, he still wished she did not have one.

ancientpathos :

Unless I plan on a big purchase, I rarely have more than 1 million on me, no wallet just a copy of my passport when I am out.  If someone wants to rob me, I am not about to risk hurting or killing someone over $48 usd. I will gladly give it to them.  People need to use common sense, be aware of your environment and project a confident behavior.

You have a god heart. To be honest, 48 USD not make me poor neither, however, someone having issues to distinguish my pocket with his pocket, will learn a good lesson.

I appreciate the advice given here, Vietnam is safe. ( I have lived here for more then 20 years).
BUT I was attacked and beaten near to death in my own home in one of the most remote and tranquil parts of Vietnam.
With a small population I am a known and respected citizen, and considered a "local".
But.
Things happen.
For all of you that think you have the answer, you are simply not thinking of all the possibilities.
I have never been out at 3 a.m. staggering around drunk in H.C.M.
I do not carry any money, have no enemies, but want mace.
FYI.
Of the three attackers all were caught.
1 got off with a warning
1 got 10 months probation.
1 got 10 months in prison.
My costs to BRING PROSECUTION were in excess of $10,000. Not considering medical bills, lost business and ongoing disability. I was not robbed by a thief, but an insane judicial system.
Total costs more then $20,000, and disabled for life.
I`ll take the pepper spray.

Hi cordonblew,

a shit story and I am still convinced, pepper spray and similar don't help. I am not here 20 years + but well over 6 years.
Especially @ home: a good dog will do the trick. I have 5. There is a doberman and a ridgeback in between. All can roam freely inside and outside. When i go out, I also have quite commonly one of them with me, less the fear, but their need and desire to go out on occasions.
Once on the way on the bike, I had the doberman sitting in front sitting between my legs and some guy on a bike was closing up to me on my right side and his companion trying to reach in my pocket ...... ouch. The did not see but feel.
I have no problems with any of my dogs in bars or restaurants, they seem to always welcome.

That might be a solution a solution for you is well, especially living remotely

l3ully

Amazing how the Doberman fit between your legs. Love to see a picture:)

Atilla, there is a lot of place for the feet.

btw, they are not really that big, still only medium sized dogs 35-50 kg and my one is barely 37kg (female)

ancientpathos :

Happy to see someone that thinks like me, if no big purchase, am only with 25 dollar for beer or eating out...

Hey Bully;
So I took your advice, and the rats bastards stole and killed my dogs, found them in the market.
I hope yours do not end up the same way. So much for your 8 years, likely hanging out in the expat nightclubs, enjoying the cheap beer, while hitting on your students.

Hi Cordonblew,
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident a few years back.

But.....those other guys posted their suggestions THREE  fu[at]kin years ago.

Back on topic,  pepper spray,mace etc ......it's illegal to have here and a lot of other countries. 
But Yogi has some.😃

Yogi's a naughty boy.   Actually,,Yogi's been a very naughty boy, but he's always meant well.

You can buy it in Dam Sen market saigon and in Cho Lon . There is a kid who hangs out in front of  59 Yersin. I now  have 2 tasers, and 6 X 150 ml c.s. gas in the house

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Vietnam

Flights to Vietnam

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Vietnam