16 days in Bangkok looking for advices

Hi, 4 of us will be in Bangkok this august for 16 days. 1st time.

I would like to rent a motocycle/scooter so we can go around. we have US/IDL and Vietnam DL. I have no problem driving in Saigon/HCMC. Is the traffic in Bangkok worst than Saigon? where can we rent? should we?

what is the catch for renting motocycle, deposit, parking etc...

We are also looking for a good clean simple place to stay.

If we have motocycles we don't need to be downtown.

Any advices (about anything) will be great. We will be glad to have a drink with you.

We do speak English, Vietnamese and French.
Thanks.

Hi NPBD,

I suggest you post an ad in the Housing in Bangkok section for accommodation. It might help :)

Also you can post an ad in the Vehicules classifieds in Bangkok section if you looking for a motorcycle or else ;)

And I'm sure you will get more feedbacks from the members :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Unless you are in Bangkok for business the whole time I would not spend more than 3-4 days in the city.  You can take in the sites in that amount of time and then move on to Pattaya or other tourist destinations.

If you want a budget hotel I suggest the Honey Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 19 or the Federal Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 11.  Rooms go for 900-1400 baht per night including breakfast. The Honey Hotel is cheaper of the two and is short walk to both skytrain and subway station.  The Federal is also within walking distance of skytrain and subway but a slightly longer walk.

I for one would not rent a motorcycle in Bangkok but its an individual choice.  Subway and skytrain allows easy movement around the city and should you need a taxi or motorcycle taxi they are very cheap.

So many great thing to do and see in Bangkok area..
And yes i do love it here...

If you like to use the river boat and exploring a bit, i do want to tell you about the Chao Phraya River, it have a nice and cheap ticket, and a lot to see, maybe for 1-2 days.. The river boat ticket is 15 baht pr person, DON`T buy from the people trying to sell you same ticket for 100-200-300 baht...
Search google for "Chao Phraya River boat map" and find the one for the public river boat (Not sure if i can post a link)

Chinatown pie5 on Chao Phraya River and Indiantown pie6 on  Chao Phraya River.
Have a lot to go and look at, get away from the main street/road, and go where much Tourist donŽt come, easy use a few days here, if you like that...

Bobae market 50 baht from Chinatown in a tuk tuk, take the channel boat behind Bobae market (150 meter) 10 baht to pratunam market...

Chatuchak market is all so a great market to go and see..

If you like public park, there is a lot to go and see and have a picnic there..

Ancient city muang boran bangkok, it is super great, was there short time ago, and we all love it, and want to return again, we use 6 hours there, and still miss a few things to see...

Kwan Riam Floating Market in Bangkok (Min Buri) build in 2012, so it not overrun by Tourist, but it is a good trip there for a relax day, and super good, cheap food..
Right now only open Saturday & Sunday, but soon be open every day, because it is very popular...

Well as you can read, i love Bangkok, no need to rush away from it, so much to do here, so much to see..

Have fun on you trip here...

Thanks we will use your recommendations to plan our trip.

I have been with a thai national 5 years and married for 2 years , I have been told that after 2 years of marriage my thai partner can apply for my perminant residency , Please can anyone help me with more info . Thanks joe

Well depends on what you want to do and your interests.

I'll tell you the places I hit on weekends and never fails.

Rooftop bars - Octave at Marriott Sukhumvit 57 is by far the best! Best view of Bangkok with a 360 degree view!

Asiatique - great for shopping and food

Khao san, Sukhumvit soi 11 and Thong lo for bar hopping and late night fun.

Pratnum, china town and Phaorat for cheap shopping

Being here 18 years, I still haven't seen the floating market and Siam nermit shot, which I hear are a must-see for tourists.

Hope that helps. Can contact me directly if you need more advice.