Hello! Fresh college graduate from Texas moving to Bangkok.

Hi there!

My name is Ahsan, I'm 22 years old and just finished up my BA in Psychology from the University of North Texas. I start my TESOL course next week in Phnom Penh, Cambodia but I'll be in Bangkok from October 8th to the 13th, job searching (teaching English) and apartment searching. I'm a little nervous spending six days in Bangkok by myself, I feel like I'll be bored! (Never thought I'd say that!) I've spent some time on this forum reading a number of posts before I decided to join. My hotel will most likely be on Sukhumvit, which I hear is populated mostly of expats. I would very much appreciate it if I had the pleasure of meeting any of you in Bangkok who may introduce me to a few contacts! I want to see the city for myself for sure, but it would make things so much simpler if I met people around the area for some good company and future references when I do decide to move there. Looking forward from hearing from you all!

Ahsan

Welcome to Expat.com Ahsan!

Harmonie.:)

I work for a school language in sukhumvit, between sois 12-14, thaiwalen.com , they teach english with callan method, and the owner like to contract people without experience, so I think is a good way to get some experience.

Every teachers say that teach with callan method is very easy.

And the staff from the school is great so will make a loot of thai and farangs friends very fast :)

Thanks for the reply Ardil!

So do you think it's appropriate for me to visit the school on my short visit for an interview, or how exactly does the application process work? I'm just really nervous because I want a decent job in a decent area, it'll be a good way to gain experience like you said. I'm bringing all my documents with me...passport scans, pictures, CV, diploma etc...

hmm.. actually the owner is on holidays now, he will come back in 2 weeks, he is the one who select the people usually.

I will send you her e-mail in private mail, so you can contact him and sent scans of your documents and degrees.

I also recomend you to signed in jobsdb.com/th and try to send your resume to as many companies as possible, Im sure you can find job as teacher very soon.

Also go to Ajarn.com they specialize on teaching jobs around thailand.

Very easy to get a teaching job Ahsan - there are so many around Bangkok.
My advice would be don't jump at the first one you find - the rates and work vary quite a lot. Also working for English agencies - whilst it can be a great way just to get started. they do pay rather abysmal rates.

TOP TIP FOR TEACHING
The best work i found when i was teaching was weekend classes at International schools and Big name universities.Go Inter etc.

These will pay 800 baht per hour, and one weekend of work means you can enjoy you weekdays off or doing a few business classes in the evenings.

You will be earning quite a good salary...
without working your socks off..

The downside to this is - your weekends will be busy while everyone with normal jobs are out partying... Unless of course you can work and play ;) afterall you still 22

Enjoy!

Dannyboyo,

Thanks for the great advice! Weekend classes to me seem like a great idea. Do you think it's appropriate for me to walk into the school and apply for the job? After all I'll be in Bangkok for a whole six days!

Cheers,

Ahsan

Ahsan,
I think it would be better if you make contact before arrival and arrange appointments.

Oh don't forget! Before start working remember work permit and must apply non-B first. Once got caught! Fine follow by deportation.