Sky Tv

Hello all, we have been researching Malta for the last few months and we would like to move to work & live. We have been to Malta a few times & got married there June 2012 so were not going in blind. We have made some good friends along the way so it won't be hard for us to settle down. I have been looking into getting a Sky box & card and it looks like it is possible to do from a company in the UK. Does anyone else have it installed and do you get a loss of signal? We have an apartment in the South of Spain near Gib about 5 years ago and at the same time every evening "about 7pm" the signal got very weak, very frustrating when we were in the middle of watching something good!
Presently we have 2 HD boxes in our house and would like to take them down with us as we know that the box needs to be married up to the card which it already is. There will be no problem still paying for sky back in Ireland which costs us €91 per month on the HD package and looks like thats cheap compared with what I have seen from Melita??

Sky has changed some of its satellites and the beam is now a lot smaller than it was, at the moment you can get some of the sky channels but these are again likely to disappear.

One way is to share with someone in the UK and use a Slingbox on their Spare box, i.e. you would get them to get another receiver and then you are controlling that through the slingbox.  Alternatively if they do not use Skygo then you could stream from this.

Another way is through the other type of Satellite receivers and a motorised or fixed dish, you will get some of the Sky channels and FTA, if you had a motorised you would also get the FTA channels from around europe.

Some options but not all are here for you to check

Julian.

Hi Julian, many thanks for the reply. I am always supicious of companies offering Sky channels due to my extensive travels in the past. Below is what they have advertised on their website!

Watch Sky TV in Malta today!

Join Sky Cards for the very best in Sky TV abroad
In order to pick up the Sky TV reception in Malta you will need a dish size of at least 1.2m . However to receive the BBC channels the dish size will need to be considerably larger and we recommend you speak with a local satellite engineer.

Despite the difficulty in picking up the BBC reception we have sold Sky TV to Valletta, Bugibba, Rabat, Gozo, Birzebbuga and St Julians, as even without the BBC channels you can still get over 300 English speaking Sky channels.

Sky Cards not only provide cards but also boxes and we stock all equipment from standard Freesat receivers to the latest Sky high definition boxes

I live in Birzebbuga and to be honest i do get channels here but they don't tell you that you need a certain size dish etc to even receive some of the channels.

A lot have gone totally now and you will not receive, but certainly look at the Receiver option as this is what i use and this works well for all other European Satellites.

PM me if you want to know more about what we are not allowed to talk about

tut! tut! J ... what could you be referring to ???

many of the british FTA channels will start to disappear from now to about late summer - by then no more bbc1 2 3 4 + itv1 2 3 4 ch4 ch5 etc...only receiveable with a dish in excess of 3m. one other option is iptv thru the internet or a dedicated box - www.filmon.com is currently free in SD, but chargeable in HD quality.. there are some satboxes with iptv built in - i have one and it has webtv and superiptv plus it has filmon in the box's portal - with limited uk channels but it does the job for us without conecting a laptop.