Relocation to Mexico

Hi, all.
I've not posted in this forum before but have been following closely.
Here's my situation:
I'm researching retirement in several areas and one of them is Mexico. Wondering about where some areas you would recommend which would meet my needs.
Warm, low cost of living, good public transportation (want to kick the car) and friendly people.
My monthly budget will be about $1,000. I am in good health, a straight single lady... and let me say quickly.. not looking to hook up with a man. I have some Spanish and am enrolled in a Spanish class now. I will be making an exploratory visit in fall of this year.
Would really appreciate input from anyone.  Any recommendations out there?
Thanks

For ANYTHING other than a temporary FMM 180-day permit you must apply to a Mexican consulate verified proof of income of -at least- $2,000.00 month, They just changed the law and it is strict and unfortunately this is verified and correct info.

Yes, a lot has changed since last November. The nearest Mexican consulate will have the best information. Pop over to Surviving Yucatan for on-line information.

Hi Patti....my husband and I are going to relocate in San Miguel de Allende.  I have traveled this past year to several areas of Mexico and this is the place I fell in love with.  With that said, we were looking primarily for a pleasant temp year round without the blistering heat, humidity, and mosquitos. We were willing to "forego" the close proximity to the beach for a small but lively town in Central Mexico.  SMA is a beautiful Spanish colonial city, about 40 minutes from airport in Querataro, and the conveniences we gringos like...Walmart, Costco, Home Depot, etc.  Good Private Hospitals.

We also are getting rid of our car, the transportation is excellent bus, taxi, etc and reasonable.

Best of luck on your new venture:)

If you don't mind a couple of thousand mile bus rides every 180 days you'll do fine. I've seen many a January morning in SMdA in the low forties, and many a day in late April and May well over a hundred degrees. So it isn't all Springtime In Paris, unfortunately.

GO IN LOW SEASON. I recommend June - September. But before you do, lower the thermostat in your house to 45 and see if you can tolerate chilly mornings. Mexican homes have absolutely ZERO insulation and electrical power costs for heating or A/C is cruel.

Thank you so much for this information, it is so appreciated!!!
Food for thought for sure.

I live in a border town....in Rio Bravo, Tampaulipas, with no issues.  I don't have a visa of any type and I travel back and forth across the border, into Texas, for shopping,etc.   It's cheap to live here but there is limited access to public transportation.  I wouldn't recommend this area if you are a single woman. 

Just wanted to offer my input....

Hello
Im steve from then uk and have lived in Mexico City for seven years.

It is good to live here, can be cheap to live if you choose the right areas like condesa, roma, zona rosa, del valle, downtown.

Steve