New, heading to Ilorin

Hi everyone,

I am a Dutch who is moving to Ilorin soon to work for VSO. I saw most people here are mainly in Lagos and Abuja, but I hope Ilorin will also be fine and fun.
When you arrived to Nigeria, was there something you noticed what made you think; 'why did no-one tell me THIS?' In that case, please do tell me now before I arrive :)

hello...
Ilorin is a smaller city in central Nigeria with predominantly Muslim population. It's not as busy as Lagos or Abuja, so if you like the small town life then you may feel at home.
There's a well established University in Ilorin as well.

Thanks for your reply! It is interesting that Ilorin is a smaller city for Nigerians. If you would put it in the Netherlands, it would be the biggest city for sure. it's all about perspective!

Hi, I live in ilorin and wil be ready to answer any question bothering you. Please feel free to ask and I'l answer

Hi, I'm Nigerian.I have visited Ilorin a couple of times.It's a state capital so you can get basic, even luxurious, living facilities.

You did not mention if you've ever been to Nigeria before.I don't know what VSO means.

The electricity supply in many parts of Nigeria including Ilorin is not constant.Many people use generators, silent ones preferably;inverters(batteries); or both.

Which airport will you be arriving at? There is a local airport in Ilorin, so you could arrange for a domestic flight to Ilorin from whichever airport. Many of the roads are bad, so you will prefer to fly. I recommend Aero or Arik airlines for all your domestic flights.

The airport in Lagos is crowded and not as organised as other international airports I have been to.On my first return to my country, I was shocked at the arrival lounge; it was cramped,hot and I had to pay for a trolley. I kept wondering how it must seem to foreigners.However, I didn't notice any foreigners, so perhaps there is a separate lounge for foreigners which is pleasant.

If you can have your hosts come to pick you up, this is your best option.Alternatively, there are online chauffeur services that you can arrange in advance.They are expensive in my estimation but trying to get one by yourself at the airport is more likely than not to have you ripped off. The first two options are also safer because the drivers can be traced.

The roads are bad, very bad, or extremely bad in many parts.A 6yr old Nigerian coming home from Britain,for the first time asked her Mom while in the car, "Mum, did an earthquake occur?" Mom answered, when we are almost there, you will be asking me about landslides. Be prepared for a bumpy ride. A comfy car, particularly Jeeps will ease this, should you be in a position to choose.

Ilorin is a smaller town than Lagos in many aspects aside size - less people, less commerce, less industrial pollution, less noise, less traffic jams, but you may not find a wide array of foreign products as you would in Lagos.

It will be useful to go along with a local who is your friend to open markets (wherever you need to bargain price)in order to get reasonable prices.

Should I wish to buy anything from the vendors in a traffic hold up, I usually divide whatever price they mention by 3 or 4 as a reliable estimate of a fair price. I'd advice a white person to divide by 6.You are better off shopping in super marts or malls, where prices are displayed, and same for all but a times these vendors have "just the thing" you've been looking for, and didn't know where to get.

There are historical sites in Ilorin and neighbouring places.Visit the old markets. Visit Lagos if you can. Nigerian people are warm and welcoming.

Buy dollars at the bank, sell at the black market. Some banks have 'specials' for travellers.

Make photocopies of your essential travel documents to take around with you and show the police, if asked, once out of the airport. Show these first, if asked. 

BY ALL MEANS, NEVER pay for a good or service that is yet to be delivered. And by delivered, I mean it is completely, irreversibly, and irrevocably in your possession. Of course, there are few exceptions, but you will need a tested and proven reliable, honest person who is conversant with the milieu to help you till you know the ropes.

Let me know if this helped.I felt I was off track for the most part.I expect that your hosts will shield you from the grosser aspects.

Cheers.

@Ylse Hi are you still in ilorin? Let me know about your situation there bro, and we can maybe meet and see how I can help you

Hello Ellev8 Group,

Welcome to Expat.com1f601.svg

Please note that this thread has been inactive since 2013.

I doubt you will get any response here.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

[Thread closed]

Closed