Entering Iraq or Saudi from Kuwait

Hi there
Has anyone entered Iraq or Saudi Arabia over the land borders?  Is it easy to do? I've had an idea about renewing my family's visas. Instead of flying somewhere with no real purpose and wasting quite a bit of money in the process, I thought about driving over the land borders. Can anyone offer any advice based on what they know or have experienced?

Is the Iraq border crossing open? 

I tried to get a transit visa from the Saudi Embassy here but they said they don't issue them, one must fly from Kuwait to Saudi they said.  But I wonder about that  - surely some people must drive? Has anyone on the forum driven from Kuwait to Saudi? If so, what was their border experience like?  Bearing in mind I'm just crossing for the sake of leaving and immediately re-entering.

Anyway, if anyone has any experiences in this area I'd be very pleased to read them.

Thanks very much.

Kiwi in Kuwait.

hola, i had an experience to cross Kuwait from Salmi border (i choosed salmi since i learned that the folks posted there are sort of relaxed in letting you thru - which turned out to be right).
I cant help u alot with the visa since i already had someone to arrange a multiple entry visa for me. But whenever i called the embassy , i got the STRITCT info by the book , but while travelling by land i observed the policies to be kinda relaxed.

Except for the visa what you need is you OWN car, car papers some people will tell u that u need to get insurance papers prepared already but you can get the car insurance againt a fee at the border customs/check point counters. The reason i said OWN car , is that for rentals , i think its not permissiable to avoid theft so i beleive there would be a procedure from your rental agency to get an authority letter of which i dont have any knowledge - It dosent have to be your car it can be of ur relative/friend provided he/she is with you at the time of travelling.
While crossing the boarder i was asked at customs about my destination , which he took a note of . So in order to avoid suspecision i think you can tell them the city name which is closest to boarder and reason for visit and drive back to Wafra boarder to enter - I know it will be hassle to drive some thing like 150-200 KM's (approx) to get back in , but as i said this will avoid the customs guy raisisng and eye brows.

hope it helped

Hi uzair83

Thank you for that information. It's really interesting.

The Salmi border looks like a good option for me but one question: did you already have an entry visa to get into Saudi?   I can't get this - I already tried but the embassy said they don't issue transit visas and because my family are not residents we can't get regular umrah visas. So I was thinking to try to drive to the border and just ask nicely. 

The tip about the car is useful - we have a rental and I hadn't thought about that.

I understand that you exited at Salmi and then drove down to enter Kuwait from Wafra. But why not just re-enter at Salmi? The border guys can see in your passport when you exited and where.

Is there any chance of entering Iraq?  Do you know?

Thanks again.

Actually i didnt do this exercise as a workaround for the situation you are in - i travelled thru salmi to get to  bahrain :)
And yes, i do had a multiple entry visa for Saudi , about the info you mentioned in your last post about the family members being non resident meaning they would have a visit visa , and from the experience i know that taking a visit visa for Country C while you being in a country B (and originally from being country A) , its not allowed to avoid fraud cases.

Exiting Salmi and entering Wafra was just away to kill time and avoid being suspecious, otherwise you just dont wana ago in  - wait for like 10 minutes and come back :)

Entering Iraq i dont have that experience and i prefer to keep it this way hehe

Cheers

Thanks, again, for that. It makes sense. I think I'm going to abandon the 'drive across the border plan'.  Time for Plan B. Without a visa, there is probably little chance of being able to enter Saudi, and the Iraq option doesn't appear to be an option.

Thanks for your help though.

most welcome - glad i could help :)