Living cost in KL

Hi All,

I am from india, single and an IT professional with 5.5 yrs exp in software development. My monthly salary in india is approx 55k INR (includes tax).

Recently i got an offer with a salary of 13k rm per month in KL (it includes income tax also). As it's a direct employment and not the contract so i am planning to stay there for 1+ year.

Please let me know if this is a good offer to save some money while living a descent life (i.e. I am not much into parties or drinking) in KL ?

Thanks in advance. Responses with detailed info will be appreciated.

Regards
lmbisht

hi...
a life for a king:
RM2500/month for best apartment in KL
RM500/month for transportation
RM1000/month for 3 meals in a day
RM4000/month in total

RM9000/month savings

Hi Omargaryen,

Thanks for the reply. Well your figures are much inspiring for me actually. Please let me know how much tax i have to pay for first 6 month and what will be tax rate after 6 month stay in KL.

Thanks in advance !!

hi..
i think there is no taxes for renting an accommodation/apartment/room. for the meals, yes, there are taxes but not that much. 1 - 1.5% for fast foods (RM0.50 - 0.65), restaurants 1.5 - 2.5% (RM1 - 1.5). but in local restaurants, no taxes.
that is all i know for paying taxes. others like issuing visa, flight tickets, bus tickets, ferries.. yea, there is tax.

well actually i meant income tax on my 13k rm per month salary.

that is what i don't know :)... sorry man.

no probs omargaryen. Your help is really appreciated. Hope i'll get the info from other members :)

it will be 2206 MRR - if you are single..

Hi akshatjais,

Thanks a ton mate for giving me the exact figure. I have below confusion on this :

1-Just to confirm, this amount is per month right ?

2- Will it be the same amount if i stayed there for more then 6 months as i heared tax amount will be lesser if a foreigner is staying for more than 6 months.

3- And how much i have to pay for initial 6 month period.

Waiting for ur reply :)

Regards
Lalit

omargaryen wrote:

hi...
a life for a king:
RM4000/month in total

RM9000/month savings

What absolute nonsense - fair/ok salary for single person hardly well off salary these days. Upper middle class in KL is 100,000RM+ per month in my experience and many around - most do a Starbucks with the taxman though.  For anyone living a LOW end expat lifestyle/local lower middel class salaried type:

After taxes 13k is 10,780 Rm per month.

2,500 Rm gets you an average appartment (top end 8k+). Rates going up as we speak. Even in rubbish ares some low end places now 4k. KL is getting silly!

Transportation depends. Fourth world bus system in KL so a car/taxis will easily end up 1k at least. A car is essential though so higher really. So let's sat 1.2 k min.

Bills/internet/Tv 800 per month. That is small. Some spend that on aircon alone!

Food 1.5k.

So 6k. Medical 0.2k per month, trips home etc will eat up say 0.8k typically so;

7k spent. 3.8k saved (before buying clothes, computers, gadgets and extra holidays).

If you drink 2k per month on booze is easy!

So can save. But not luxery lifestyle. Typical salaried lower middle class lifestyle. for single person wanting to have nice life and save a bit ok.

I know too may locals who blow 1,000 RM on ONE round of shots! (some locals have the money expats don't these days :( ) so gone are the days of overpaid expats). When I try to explain that some think 10k is a lot all I get is amazed WTF looks :) - income disparity is very high in malaysia. Don't compare oneself to Burmese worker on a building site, as some would here, and say "I'm rich" lol (and they often earn quite a bit these days as they have upped their rates). Expats are expected to be middle class at least. Maintaining a middle-middle class family lifestyle is 20k+ earning nowadays in KL. Salaries of grads now 3.5k (if chinese - Malays/Indians get less due to rascism) and that is pocket money/car money for those living at home. Without parental capital most will never be able to buy a house now - a real shame.

My simple guidline for min salaries is

Intern with well off capital rich parents and no need to save/pay medical costs 6k
Young single 10k min
Older (>30) single 15k min
Family - one earner - one under 5 year old kid - 20k min
Two kids at international school - 30k min

Anything less is misery living.

Hi there. 

Are you sure this is a genuine job offer?  Have you been interviewed?  I am afraid that there are currently lots of job scams here in Malaysia. 

They usually offer higher than usual salaries(which yous would be as a local with your experience would earn probably on RM3k per month. 

The tricksters then ask for money for working permit or accommodation.  If you would like your job offer to be checked out by someone here I can put you in touch with a gentleman on InterNations Forum who is a retired Indian and he is helping people like you to see if the jobs they are offered are real.

13k is good salary. Don't worry at all.
I had higher salary in India than what you are getting. However, I have joined here at a salary lower than offered to you. Still, good savings with a greater lifestyle.

However, as mentioned by other members, I want you to beware, because the salary that you are telling is on a very high side. I am not sure what are the terms and conditions! Can you name the company who has made you this offer? Join only if its a global brand.

Hii Harsha,

I have sent you a mail.

Please respond if possible.

Cheers

Hi,

13k MYR is a good salary. However, try to find out whther the company is good or not. i am from india and currenlty I am in Malaysia, you can send me the company details sothat i can verify it if possible.

Regards

@All: Thanks a ton for showing this much interest to my query. Its really appreciated. Please lemme know if i have to ask anything to my employer which i missed out. Also please tell me the figure of tax amount which i have to pay intialy for 6 months and after that.

@sanjeevjntu: Well i tried to find out about company.Company is Princeton Blue and HQ is in NJ, USA. In south east asia it's in Singapore and it has client office in KL and Bangkok. Please check from ur side also if u can.

@harsh6sigma: It's PrinctonBlue and from company profile it looks like a nice company in my technology i.e. BMP. Please lemme know if u heared anything abt this.

@Gravitas:Yes i have been interviewed for this. 2 tech round and 2 HR round. And that is a normal recruitment proces as much i know. Please suggest if u feel anything fishy here. Offer latter also looks genuine with all the terms and condition just like my prev company.

It's agreed that they will bear all the cost of VISA process and the first time travel to my work location.

Please pass this info to ur friend and lemme know his views.

The above mentioned company looks like a genuine company. I will try to find out more details about it. In BPM salaries will be more and hence the offer u got is correct.

We are a retired couple hoping to arrive in KL by 31 May under MM2H. Have a car and condo already. In such a case how much would I require to live in KL? Any suggestions?

Hi,
I am software engineer offered a job in KL, Malaysia.
Salary given by my employer is 9000 MYR.
1. what is tax deduction over this salary (is it flat 26% ??)
2. If i will live comfortable, own a 1 bhk apartment over rent, cook by own and weekend entertainment. how much i will spend in this.
3. Approximate cost of good living standard.

Thanks. appreciate your quick response.

Hello
I am Erwin Dangan, I just want to know the status of dolumite company? any help? I dont know the address yet but my wife is working now in this company that's what she said. It is a quarry business in Malaysia. Please send me an email about information. Thank you

Erwin

Nemodot wrote:
omargaryen wrote:

hi...
a life for a king:
RM4000/month in total

RM9000/month savings

What absolute nonsense - fair/ok salary for single person hardly well off salary these days. Upper middle class in KL is 100,000RM+ per month in my experience and many around - most do a Starbucks with the taxman though.  For anyone living a LOW end expat lifestyle/local lower middel class salaried type:

After taxes 13k is 10,780 Rm per month.

2,500 Rm gets you an average appartment (top end 8k+). Rates going up as we speak. Even in rubbish ares some low end places now 4k. KL is getting silly!

Transportation depends. Fourth world bus system in KL so a car/taxis will easily end up 1k at least. A car is essential though so higher really. So let's sat 1.2 k min.

Bills/internet/Tv 800 per month. That is small. Some spend that on aircon alone!

Food 1.5k.

So 6k. Medical 0.2k per month, trips home etc will eat up say 0.8k typically so;

7k spent. 3.8k saved (before buying clothes, computers, gadgets and extra holidays).

If you drink 2k per month on booze is easy!

So can save. But not luxery lifestyle. Typical salaried lower middle class lifestyle. for single person wanting to have nice life and save a bit ok.

I know too may locals who blow 1,000 RM on ONE round of shots! (some locals have the money expats don't these days :( ) so gone are the days of overpaid expats). When I try to explain that some think 10k is a lot all I get is amazed WTF looks :) - income disparity is very high in malaysia. Don't compare oneself to Burmese worker on a building site, as some would here, and say "I'm rich" lol (and they often earn quite a bit these days as they have upped their rates). Expats are expected to be middle class at least. Maintaining a middle-middle class family lifestyle is 20k+ earning nowadays in KL. Salaries of grads now 3.5k (if chinese - Malays/Indians get less due to rascism) and that is pocket money/car money for those living at home. Without parental capital most will never be able to buy a house now - a real shame.

My simple guidline for min salaries is

Intern with well off capital rich parents and no need to save/pay medical costs 6k
Young single 10k min
Older (>30) single 15k min
Family - one earner - one under 5 year old kid - 20k min
Two kids at international school - 30k min

Anything less is misery living.

Hi Nemodot,

I love to read your comments. They make sense and are written by someone actually living there.
Lots of people write that they got an offer of x and would like to know if they can live comfortably in malaysia with this salary. They even do not bother to read other messages, as messages like this come up on a daily basis.
As you mention quite often that malaysia is not any more cheap and that their are lots of malaysian graduates with no jobs or are on jobs which pay little money,
How can it be that half india is applying for jobs and getting them. Probably on very low pay.
As you mentioned shortly that a family needs a min. income of around 25k MYR., that's around £5,000/month.
With this sort of money you can really live well everywhere.
In the UK, average family income is £24,ooo/year.
£60,000 that's what a doctor earns. I friend of mine is a young consultant and doesn't earn this.

I know that international schools are expensive and this has to be considered.
I also see, that f.ex on i property, rents are going up, even there seem to be 1000's of properties on the market.

Regards,

hello all,
just read an artile where Malaysia was rated No. 3 of places to retire, am about to do that, was going to do so in Pattaya, Thailand, but with this new information, thoughts are more interesting in Malaysia, (thailand was rated 9). 
See here that a costing for living there is about $1300 Aussie month in KL, is around Penang the same, not into big cities, want somewhere where I can walk the promenades of beaches and on same when I want.  are cists similar there, would be renting, what sort of rent for an apartment (separate bedroom, not studio stype) reasonable size, nice and safe area.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi All,

This is lalit again who started this post and got so many replies. I have another query, as my employer agreed to complete and fund all the visa process for me. I am just curious what exactly is the process so that i can come to KL and join this job.

I mean what are the steps my would be employer has to take ?

hey... just a note... there are so many scams for jobs in Malaysia. Just be careful yourself and remember "do not pay anything just to get a job"...

Check out the process with the Indian High Commission - its changed recenty.

Hello
Can anyone help me to find this company is genuine or not . Xabtech malaysia. It is tier 3 data cenetr located in Kula lumpur.Please let me know is this company is valid or not.

Hi Lalit,

So finally you went to Malaysia? I am also from India and contemplating a job at KL.

Would be great if you could share your expereinces in terms of the following:

1) You had said that you were getting MYR 13k- is it sufficient for a decent lifestyle in KL?

2) Which area are you putting up and what rent are you paying?

3) I have a family where only I will be working. My child is 3 months old. Is any salary above 10k good?

4) In India, if we agree to give more security deposit, monthly rental can be negotiated down...is the same applicable in KL?

Would highly appreciate your answers as this would help all the forum members.

regards
RP

HI ibankerr,

Things got change and i got a nice offer in india itself with a promising career and descent salary package, so i dropped the plan to move out of india.

May be u can start a new thread and get a quick and exact information.

Best of luck !!!! :)

So it was a fake job?

hihiih

Hi Gravitas

No it was not a fake job. That organization is a well known company  and based in US. I just reject the offer coz of my career plan.

Still i advise please do a lot of research before moving out.

Best of luck !!!!!! :)

Hi Harsha,
I have sent you a mail. can you please reply .
Thanks in advance,
Rabin

Hi Rabin,

I have replied you. Plz chek

Moving to KL

Hi All,

I am Vipul Prajapati from Pune, India. I got an offer of RM 7500/Month. I'll be coming to KL with my wife. Can you please answer my below queries?

1) RM 7500/Month is sufficient to live for 2 persons in KL?
2) What % of tax will be imposed on my monthly salary?
3) What is the rent for 1 BHK? (Budget is RM 1200- RM 1400)
4) What is the transportation cost?
5) What is the utilities(Electricity, Water, Internet, Phone...etc) cost?
6) Do you really think I should take this offer?

Regards,
Vipul Prajapati

Hi Vipul

Cost of living is about 60% higher in Malaysia so take this into consideration.

1) RM 7500/Month is sufficient to live for 2 persons in KL? - Its OK
2) What % of tax will be imposed on my monthly salary? - 20-26% (higher figure if you spend less than 182 days here)
3) What is the rent for 1 BHK? (Budget is RM 1200- RM 1400) - Depends on the area you need to live in
4) What is the transportation cost? - public transport is low and depends on distance. LRT is max RM7.50
5) What is the utilities(Electricity, Water, Internet, Phone...etc) cost?  You would need to budget about RM300-500 pm*
6) Do you really think I should take this offer?  Can you survive living away from your family?  If so, then start the adventure.

*for your wife, you may need to subscribe to Hypp TV or Astro so she has some Indian channels

If will probably be difficult for your wife to get a job - is she prepared to give up her career if you move?

You need to give more information about location of your job (are you sure its not a scam?) for accommodation budget purposes. There are not very many 1 Bed apartments, they are usually larger.

I agree with above. As always you can live off small amounts yes can be done. But you won't save anything unless you live a really frugal lifestyle. But is it worth it? Depends on you. You may have no other job offers. It may be a promotion or foreign experience that results in better jobs back home. You may just love the adventure and fun of being abroad.

But on purely financial terms it is a poor offer for an expat with a wife. Whether it is fair for your job HOW CAN WE TELL!!!!!! You ought to say what job you are doing! cleaning toilets great salary. Engineer bad salary.

Hi Vipul,
I am SH from Mumbai, India. planning to shift next month. In one of my contributions, you can refer to a detailed living cost that I had done for myself. When I checked with a couple of my friends, they agreed with it. May be it will help you also.
Thanks

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=320722

Budget for KL

Hi, I am an Indian and married. Currently I am getting 9 Lacs as yearly CTC in Kolkata. I have around 6 years of experience in Software Development field(Web Development technologies) and working one of the big names in the IT world. So if I move to Malayasia(Kualalampur) what salary I should expect there? Please help.

According to the Kelly Services Guide the salary range for your skills and experience is RM5k-RM7.5k per month:

http://www.kellyservices.com.my (see foot of page for their annual survey)