$3000 plus all living costs enough?

Hey,

I'm from the UK, been living in China for 3 years, I'm studying a master's online and I'm tired of China.

Been offered a job on the out skirts of KL, they are offering $3000 a month, before tax.

They also provide all electricity fees, gas, internet and any rent upto 5,000 RM.

Essentially all costs for housing are taken care of, plus insurance.

Please bare in mind they don't give me 5,000 RM, they pay upto that, so if I stay in a place that's 2,000 I don't get 3,000 back!

After initial tax, that works out at $2,200 at 26%. So, is it realistic to live on 2,200 dollars?

I'm single with no kids or wife, and I'm hoping to save a bit. I like to cook, I speak Chinese and prefer to eat local foods than imported foods. I don't drink or smoke and my work assures me I can find an apartment 5 minutes from the office, so I guess transport costs are low.

I would assume with working and studying together I'd be quite 'routiney', i.e. not hitting up bars or clubs or anything. I'd prefer to stay in and watch a movie, I'm sure I'll be exhausted.

So, what's my realistic expenses?

Mobile Phone
Groceries
Entertainment [maybe Cinema or playing sports]
Gym [need to get in shape, don't we all!]

Anything else I need to be aware of?

I've been to KL before, and AS A TOURIST, found it on about the same elvel as Beijing but cheaper than SGP and HK, Tokyo and most European cities. I would say it was about as expensive as Cairo or Casablanca from what I can remember.

Using cheap airlines I saw that travelling could be done quite quickly, is internal travel cheap in Malaysia? How about hopping to Indonesia or Thailand?

Thanks for any replies, appreciated.

The bear.

Hi no way can you save on that. Yes you can just survive if you don't drink alcohol, don't eat out, avoid the cinema etc so basically just spend nothing but essentials and study non stop.

You certainly couldn't afford to travel.

Kl is a terribly boring city if cashless. It is very expensive to live in.

I think the dollars are USD (the RM is often referred to as dollars from its name earlier this century) and its basically spending money, as most other big ticket items are paid for (but will be taxed) and condos have gymnasiums. So I think if the assumption about currency is correct, you can live quite comfortably. It is expensive to drink (shopping around helps) with lager prices starting at about RM22 per pint after tax. But hopefully you will also find other things to do with your time (although there is not much else in KL, I have to say, unless you are a family with children, school, etc.). It is, after all, well-known as the city of ruin.

Yep. Just to clarify its 3000 USD.

To be honest without drinking I think with housing and other main expenses paid I could live in almost any city on 3000 USD a month.

Hi There,

Personaly I think that the offer is very interesting, if you wish for change and consider to live for while and experience different culture (her a lot of expats, from all over the world) I don t know about Beijing, but from what I heard from my friend living in Shanghai, she said that living cost is very high and salaries low.. But anyway..
The most expensive and challenging thing here, for single ppl, is housing, and since you re offered allocation for that then you are covered - and there might be few tricks you can use to save some of that money for yourself ;) -
Food and entertainment withing the city, since you re considering mostly eating local and cooking on your own wouldnt exceed 1,000.00 RM per month. If you like travelling and considering backpack trips you can consider like up to 500 RM for trips in Malaysia for 2 or 3 days road trip (it s varies according to places and activities, also season, but here there are a lot of cheap hostel and guest houses, where you can meet ppl and at the same time enjoy the beauty of the country.

And for visiting countries around, it s also possible, and you can get nice offer, if you ll consider low cost flight.

I d stay positive about this offer if I were you :)

By the way, Casablanca is wide more expensive then KL :P

3000USD are you sure? People call the ringer dollar here. If they verbally offered 3000 dollar they meant rm prob.

If it us 3000 USD then of course you can live off that ok as just over RM 10k although tax has to be paid. Not a lot and not luxury living but for a single doable.

Kl is very expensive don't think of it as as Asia. In UK or USA especially 3000 USD buys a same or better living standard. Especially USA where you can enjoy life in 3k USD especially in warmer parts

It's definitely $3000+ maybe 2 months bonus a year.

In London if I had $3000 a month WITH my rent paid I could live a really comfortable life and save alot, how on earth are you guys suggesting I won't?

I can't see what my expenditures will be.

$100 on groceries a month? I spend less than $50 in the UK. But let's say $100.
Maybe the same again on eating out? I like local food and I heard indian and malay food is cheap, $10 or so.

That's $800 on food being generous.

No drinking bills, maybe $500 on entertainment a month, that's $1300 being generous, where's the other $1000 going?

You would need to choose to live somewhere that has public transport, otherwise a car would be necessary i.e. RM1500 per month (with fuel). The transportation here is hit and miss and not yet good coverage of mass transport such as LRT or MRT out to the suburbs.

Yes I mean more expensive than London overall. Especially allowing for transport etc. Easier to blow a 1,000 RM in one night with dinner for two and drinks. That would be less in London for same amount/quality. I often see many locals buy 1,000 RM rounds with friends. Only the well off go out in Malaysia. Or as seems to happen is young Chinese max out their credit cards to impress their friends and get into financial trouble. That is happening a lot these days.

Property isn't so cheap either but 5k rm covers you for a nice place either one bed close to centre or two bed further out. In suburbs more than enough as typically 3k a month but you would need a car.

Actually a car is not a luxury and 1.5k a month for a local proton is about right (although the doors handles might fall as they seem to do a lot with proton)

Just don't think of KL as asia. It isn't. Although not like Singapore that is now ranked the most expensive place in the world to live (higher than new York, Tokyo or London)

I cannot believe that the cost of living is higher than London.

I've been to 70+ countries and no where has come close to London. Tokyo, NYC, Hong Kong, all were cheaper.

I paid 4 pounds for a single tube ride a few years ago, that's $6 to go 3 stops. A taxi ride 30 minutes costs me over $120  and I've paid over 1000 RM just to get itno a club in London.

I don't understand this 'I've seen people dropping xxx on rounds', ok. Well, as a former lawyer, I saw people spend wealth that you could not imagine in London City underground men's clubs.

I said I don't drink, so the cost of spending money on drinks is irrelevant.

I found this stat interesting:

You would need around 8,322.38RM (1,493.08£) in Kuala Lumpur to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 4,200.00£ in London (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Consumer Prices Including Rent Index. This comparison assumes net earnings (after income tax).

That's more Ringit than I will get after tax, and that is including rent. Rent is a huge expense in London, and I do not need to pay that, so I feel having done my own research on numbers that it's not probem.

I will rent close to my work, and they have assured me there are apartment condos within 5 minutes walk of the office.

I still do not understand where you believe $3000 will be spent when I intend to wake up, walk to work, work, return home, buy groceries, maybe use the gym, study and go to sleep.

Dont worry - he's a wind-up merchant - always trying to scare people away from KL.

Haha, thanks.

I'm one of those guys who can live anywhere in the world on $3000 a month, I'm pretty sure.

I'd like to finish after a year with at least $5-6000 paid, and preferably pay off all $10,000 of my two year course, but who knows.

For the first few months I will literally be working,studying, gyming, cooking and sleeping, so I figure I can feed myself for about $500. That would allow me to save alot.

We will see!

You can live on an average of Rm35 per day, as long as you dont want any frills. But come April there is a new 6% tax (GST) and it will mean some items are taxed for the first time.

3000.00 a month is enough to work with in Malaysia. One thing to ask is whether or not your money for your housing allowance will be taxed too. If it is then that 5000 rm will be 26% less.

That cost comparison is bs. Out of klang valley yes but not in kl. Actually the single most expensive city in the world is Singapore per research. KL is cheaper than Singapore of course and in reality you need to earn one sgd to myr in reality.

I am.not comparing living in James square with central KL buy what an upper middle class person wants. Now if you can burn a grand in a London nightclub you will burn a lot here although boredom with KLs rather poor nightlife will.push up your travel costs to get some weekends away.

Rents are cheaper than London about half. But a car is essential in kl whereas in London a car is a pain in the butt. Cars here cost way too much so it reduces that saving considerably. Don't forget less tax is paid for in not getting the nhs etc

If you are the sort of person who can blow a wad of serious cash in London then 10k rm is poverty living. You will find out for yourself that make you working class here - spm holders (gcse) can make 15k on uber, 10k running a stall or 20k selling DVDs. Or 25k as divers. Even a cleaner with no quals makes 4-5k with lots of overtime. A dub degree holder makes 7k just doing tuition. Most of my local friends earn 25k plus and I feel poor as an expat! (official stats here are rubbish black economy is massive)

A decent car will knock you back 150 to 250k. A house 1.5million plus. They don't do that on official stats.

You do the math!

Nemo you seem slightly strange.

I've been here for a couple weeks and the 'rent half of London' is a joke, it's about 1/4.

I don't know why you lie about some things.

http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-su … ;loctype=1

I spoke to some lawyers andthey were straight up with how much they make, I could make, in London, in ten hours what they make in a month.

Living in KL is cheap, full stop.

I don't drink, but the gym was about $22, my apartment is paid for with no bills.

I don't have a car but I only live 3 minutes walk from work, and I pretty much go to work, come home, cook, gym, watch movies etc. Not interested in bars or alcohol.

I spent about $120 in my first week, and that included eating out almost every day.

I don't know how you would spend $1000 in a Malaysian nightclub, I went to one and the drinks were cheaper than London, but you can just get tanked before.

Public transport, taxis, tax, all much lower.

RM 5000.00 a month with your bill taken care of and a balance of RM 2000.00 a month seems barely enough for you to make ends meet.  If I were you I ll ask for RM 5000.00 and you take care of all your expenses. Let me summarised for you. If you are living alone you can rent a room for RM 500 to RM 800 per month or rent a studio unit for RM 1200 /month semi furnished ie with airconditiong, bed probably a small dining table n chairs and something a couch.  u need to buy a tv, fridge and washing machine or opt for self cleaning laundry. Your bills will be for water, sewer will be minimal around RM 50/month.  your electricity will will come up to RM 150 to RM 300 depending on your air conditioning usage. I ll do a summary below

Rental  1200
electricity RM 150 to 300
water and sewer RM 50
Mobile RM 150
TV astro satellite bill RM 150
Transport : sometimes taxi and light transit rail maybe RM 100 to RM 150 or buy  monthly pass
laundry RM 100
Food : Depending on which restaurant you eat : average RM30 to  40/day ie rm 1200/month
Other expenditure like medical shirts snack RM 300/mth
This is on budget expenses

It in not cheap living in Kuala Lumpur and if you drink beer can cost Rm10 to 20 per can depending where you drink
I thk you can buy at 7 eleven for RM9 per can as the tax for alcohol is extremely high in malaysia
cinema can cost you RM12 to 30 per show

My son earns RM 5000 k per month and working at home but living with me and just enough for him.  Mind you a car is a necessity in Kuala Lumpur but opting for LTR can be a good idea.  car is very expensive here.

I hope u have an idea of what you have been asking

regards and good luck

azlan

sorry about the drinking bits

azlan