Getting rid of a car

Hello Friendly ex-pats, my husband and I are planning a big trip driving from England to Kuwait next September in a Morris Minor. That seems a weird thing to do doesn't it, but it's in memory of my grandparents who drove from Kuwait (where they lived) to England in 1953.
The problems we are having is figuring out what to do with the car at the end, can we get it shipped back, can we sell it to a Kuwaitee, can we leave it somewhere?
Thanks!

Hello Hannah Jones.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll soon get some advices from other members.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi hannah

welcome to Kuwait .....

Hi There,
Last year I went to a Road trip from Manchester to 14 country and was amazing.
I was going to drive to Lebanon and then to Jordan and Kuwait but couldn't pass Syria as were some problem there and now its worse, and i was bit scared to drive through Iraq so i did change my plan and driven back through different direction.
advice , do not drive through Serbia,
if you drive through Romania and Bulgaria you will enjoy the country side but roads bit not good.
you could take Ferry from venice to North Greece Igoumenista it take 24 hours, was nice trip back to UK and the driving in Switzerland was amazing.
in Turkey Petrol are too expensive.
about your Car in kuwait i guess you can keep it at the car park or use it in here (can ask if possible)
any more question will be happy to help
Fadi

forgot to say if you drive to Switzerland or Austria make sure to buy road Tax at the first petrol station or any shop when you enter the country.

Hi Fadi, It's great to hear about your trip read your tips. We are planning to go this way: England, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Eygpt (by boat) Saudi Arabia, Kuwait. We are following the route that my grandparents took in 1953 (except they went through Syria and Iraq instead of Egypt and Saudi) When we have arrived in Kuwait we will be flying back to England so the issue is are we able to sell the car? or can we get it shipped back? We'd probably be happy to give it away.

Hi Hannah
you are more than welcome,
and this is a great route,
I just moved 3 weeks ago to Kuwait and you could email me on [email protected] if you need anything.
I know a friend who work at the Kuwait DVLA will try to get some info from him. also will ask about the shipment coast, email me the car detail to get the info for you.

There's a guy on this website called Legacy, he has a wealth of knowledge and he'll pass comment I'm sure when he's next online. He works for a shipping company in Kuwait, so may be able to assist in that for you.

Hope you have a safe road trip

Hi there

That sounds so exciting, good luck with your travels!! There are a number of shipping companies online that seem to ship cars to and from Kuwait, not sure how much it will cost! Yeah legacy will probably have some information about it. I googled it and there seemed to be a number of companies.

Safe travels :)
Ally

you can also go to Jordan from Egypt and visit Petra very nice place and then you don't have to take boat to Saudi,  you can drive from Jordan to Saudi and kuwait.
Egypt, Jordan, Saudi, and Kuwait petrol are very cheap.

hehe, thank you vindaloolad :D many thanks indeed

driving through saudi is no problem as you are allowed a transit visa for your vehicle, its about 5KD or something. bringing your car to egypt is no problem coz we did it before during the gulf war.

your case presents two challenges. one, the car will be a European car, meaning the driver is on the right, whereas in kuwait, drivers are on the left. second, it would be considered a technical import, and expats are not allowed to import cars into kuwait.

given your intentions, yes, it would be possible to ship your car back from Kuwait in a 20 foot container, or a 40, depending on who you go by. once back in the office i can check for you (i am not actually involved with the shipping activity).

most likely tho, id put a hold on the idea before getting the appropriate info, try the www.e.gov.kw website and ask em directly. id hate to have u bring your car all the way over here to be told u need to pay customs or worse, need a ton of paperwork to ship it back.

Wow thanks for all the helpful advice this is all really useful stuff that I can look into. The trip isn't until Sept 2013 but I just wanted to start researching into all the costings before we buy a moris minor.

In reply to 'Legacy' Our car will probably be left hand drive because we will get it in Britain, but the exporting thing will be a big issue I'll have to look into.

My grandparents didn't seem to have so many paperwork issues when they did the reverse of this trip in 1953! and they only spent £40 on petrol for the whole trip!

keep in mind kuwait was just starting as a country in the 1950s, i think, so paperwork etc was not really a big issue back then. now tho, in the borderless world we live in, things have become a tad difficult.

why 'Legacy' (quotes :P) u can call me ayman or Aymz if it makes you feel more comfortable ;)