Mobile phone and Satellite TV packages

Hi there,
I'm wondering how easy/quick it will be to get a mobile phone and Satellite TV package when we arrive (December) and which ones are the best at the moment.  Im presuming we wont be able to get either until we have our residency cards etc but how long after that should it take to get up and running?

I have an Iphone 4 and would be wanting a data/calls/texts package.
For Satellite TV we would probably have to go for the best one there is with regards to football for the other half (groan) ;)

Any info muchly appreciated :)

Oh and a broadband package too!!  (not that i'm asking much!)

I'm not aware of any mobile/satellite packages - do you mean cable ?

Im not sure of the correct terminology??  Cable TV I think if its not Satellite.  Similar to Sky in the UK if that helps?

Melita do the best optical cable broadband internet/landline phone package for sure. Go and Melita both have tv packages but you would really need to study them to see what suits you better. but be aware that their tv packs are crap.....and i really do mean crap...sorry but they are not very upto date and rarely show any live uk programming. check both for mobile phones though - but in my opinion Go have better coverage and more users. Be wary also of long contracts typically 15-24 months and will short of a maltese idc ard demand a hetfy deposit (refunable on produciton of the cards)....and both Go and Melita seem to swap around for football packages - for example to get both premier league and european champs league you would have to have both. However there are satellite systems avialable - full systems with a 1.2m dish and either motorised or fixed with 3or4 lnbs for betwwen 430 and 480 euros....they can certainly achieve bbc1 bbc2 itv1 2 3 4 ch4 and ch5 really well and for free....they can get other stuff too but i cant talk about that here so if you want to know more message me. ok

you can certainly be connected to internet within a couple of days....and as for satellite that depends on how busy the installer is - but if you message me i can put you in touch with a good one.

i just install melita internet today and it's good, i want to know if it's really unlimited download or it's just from 11 pm until 7 am?
pleaaase i need to know

depends on the package - check their website for T&C

hi, yes it says unlimited put i'm just wondering coz i seen ppl here saying it's not loool! any way it's 16.5 Euro every month unlimited

its says "Unlimited downloads (Fair Usage Policy of 100GB)"

Hi Designs,

unlimited for Melita means subject to ' Fair Usage' for the 15 Mbps connection.

Unlimited downloads (Fair Usage Policy of 100GB)

That could be equivalent to about 20 average video films/month. So it is quite a bit !

Cheers
Ricky

i have been using the melita service for 4 yrs and mainly download overnight when it deos not go against your download limit never had a problem and i download lots of stuff - probably on average 10-12-15gb  each night and then theres the usual daytime stuff too...also remember internet tv packages are classed as download and  will go against the limit during daytime viewing. fair usage policy is likely to be subject to interpretation, and in any event even if they contacted you about excessive usage they wouldnt cut you off they would juts throttle you back on your speed and thus control your internet usage.

Hi Sarah,

Just for your info if you have the app (film on) on your iphone which is a free app you can put this though your tv wireless using wireless apple tv box (119 euros). Film on has all uk stations and plays in HD  similarly this can be done with ipad to,obviously you need a wifi connection in your property and both iphone and apple tv has to be connected to same wireless router works really good for me

Toonarmy I'll wing you a PM re this ta.

Thanks for all the info folks alot of good stuff to have a think about :)

Toons one is good deal...

Filmon is great but only the SD is free HD is at a cost.

Julian.

any one familiar with Nile-sat satellite?

yes its a satellite that broadcasts via i think 7.0W

Hi Designs,

you should be able to receive Nilesat in Malta even with a small sized sat dish. The signal deteriorates rapidly the further north you go in Europe.

You should make sure that you have free view towards 7 ° West which is slightly west of south -)))  otherwise the signal could be influenced by neighbouring  buildings !

Cheers
Ricky

sarah101 wrote:

Toonarmy I'll wing you a PM re this ta.

Thanks for all the info folks alot of good stuff to have a think about :)

no problem sarah101 - will watch out for it

ricky wrote:

Hi Designs,

you should be able to receive Nilesat in Malta even with a small sized sat dish. The signal deteriorates rapidly the further north you go in Europe.

You should make sure that you have free view towards 7 ° West which is slightly west of south -)))  otherwise the signal could be influenced by neighbouring  buildings !

Cheers
Ricky

thanks Ricky, in my building i can put the dish in the roof no problem

designs...does it or wili it have clear line of sight.

Toon, can you explain more?

Hi Designs,

it means that you need a clear view from your rooftop to 7 ° from south towards west ( slightly west from true south) at a low elevation ( not looking upwards but towards 7 ° west close to the horizon ) ( you should use a compass!)

If you have any higher buildings in that direction than your own rooftop it won't work !

If in doubt you would have to have a TV technician measure the signal strength.

Cheers
Ricky

i think my building is one of the higher in the area.... ok i got it now,,,,,thaaanks, other thing from where i can buy the dish :rolleyes:

pm me designs i can put you in touch with someone

Hi Designs,

it sounds as if you are best off getting a package !

Dish+Digital receiver+cable connection from dish to your TV ( maybe through the shaft?)+ installation.

You should check if the installation is possible without going through other owners walls and/or major construction work.

I'm sure someone can recommend a good dealer/technician.

Cheers
Ricky

pm sent designs

Hi, I am moving to Malta (Marsascala) to live there permanently on 16. Jul.13. Is it worthwhile bringing my Sky+ box with me for someone to perhaps install a dish etc. when I get there?
Thanks.

as long as its already paired to your sky card it should work fine for the fta - depends on maintaining a package with a uk address with sky though for the scrambled channels

however i will say that although currently you can receive sky channels and fta uktv here on a 1.2m dish the sats involved are all moving before the end of october 2012 so its highly likely many uk channels will not be viewable

:) . . . . But I am sure we will have the answer to that toon... and be abel to get it sorted ;)

where theres a will theres a way scoobs

Can you send details about satellite?

why bother with satellite as the majority of uktv fta channels will not be receivable after february

IPTV is the way to go  -

davelden wrote:

Can you send details about satellite?

Which one?

Yes-which one do you use?

I don't, not here. My service is provided over the internet.
See https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =2#1656878