Wanting to move to Malta for the summer of 2013

I am thinking of moving to Malta from the UK for the summer season. However the thought is quite scary when I think about it more!!
I would ideally want to share an apartment, but I dont know anyone in Malta! How can I get to know more people when I arrive there?
I really like the place and would love to move out for the summer and work.
Is anyone else thinking of doing the same? I am only 18 and am having a gap year.
Thankyou!! :)

Hello imsosuperwoman.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope other members will soon give you some advices.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi superwoman,

if your forum name is program you will not have any problem in Malta!

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

You have come to the right place to look for a flat share and to meet people. Check out the offers here on the forum under ' Housing'. I'm sure you will find the right place and people to share with.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Superwomen,

I know a women she shares her flats with students. She lives in Sliema 2 min from the seafront in a modern house.

Say greetings from Fritz;-) Dont worry i dont receive any commission

Fritz

Thankyou everyone for your replys!
Is there anybody else wanting to move over for May-October next year?
I would like to share with some students, or young people around the same age if possible, anybody? :D

Also, how long do people usually take to find jobs and settle down etc?
Thanks again guys!!

Hey, I'm 18 too and moving over in April 2013 on my own but permanently. Send me a message if you fancy meeting up whilst you're there!

As a general rule it depends on what you are capable and willing to do and what you can live on when finding a job - some people can do it immediately some take a few weeks some take months. In my experience of others moving here it is usually best to have at least 6 months money in savings to survive here before arriving - this should cover rent, deposits, agents fees, food clothing, transport and the nights out too. Reckon on cash in hand type work at 4 euros per hr to start with as thats what casual work  pays assuming you can find it and secure it - remember too that much of the work here for casual staff is seasonal. Dont come here thinking its easy to find work... it really isnt. Its even harder to find well or even half decent paid work.

but good luck in your move.

Lily Arnold wrote:

Hey, I'm 18 too and moving over in April 2013 on my own but permanently. Send me a message if you fancy meeting up whilst you're there!

Hey, yeah that would be great! Where abouts are you thinking of living?

Hey! Erm hopefully around Valetta/Msida central area. You?

I was thinking around St Julians or something but I have no idea really, wherever I can find work I guess :D

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I thought Valetta would be best because its quite central and their is lots of public transport from there. What work are you looking to find?

Yeah I know what you mean, I was on holiday in August there and heard that its 2.60 for unlimited travel on the buses but I'm not sure is this is true haha and Im just wanting bar work or waitressing etc, how about you?

its 2.60 euro for a day ticket (for non id card holders) to be used all day on any bus to any location until about 11pm...id card holders it drops to 1.50euro.

Noisy area Valetta but that is essentially where you would get every bus :)

Julian

Would would you suggest is the best place to live for the Summer? I am looking at April-September ish time

Okay thanks, I thought Valetta would be best as I won't be driving for a few months when I first get there. Are the apartments (1bed) a lot more to rent in Valetta than other places?

i would have thought (could be wrong tho) that 1 bed apartments are probably harder to find in the city (il belt) rather than being expensive to rent but a major city and high rents would normally go hand in hand - you could try looking around the sliema gzira msida st julians area as the buses are good there too.

good luck in your search and hope your move goes well

Would St Julians be any cheaper than the Qawra/Biggiba area?

Thanks toonarmy, still have another 6 months to wait unfortunately!!!

if anything its likley to be more expensive-much depends on what you are after really-st julians is in my opinion more cosmopolitan and a much nicer area much more to do-whereas bugibba/qawra/st pauls is more touristy and dirty..not many jobs there either but they do have a half decent bus termainal/service. It was designed decades ago as a tourist village to serve the rising tourism.

Oh right, thanks!
So would you say there is more work available in St Julians area? I was thinking there would be more in qawra etc because of the tourism

Have a look online on the Times of Malta website, especially on Sunday for the Classifieds for work and accommodation.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/classifieds … ons-vacanthttp://www.timesofmalta.com/classifieds/to-let

Il-vjaġġ it-tajjeb!

imsosuperwoman wrote:

Oh right, thanks!
So would you say there is more work available in St Julians area? I was thinking there would be more in qawra etc because of the tourism

id say there was more chance of work - as your not far from sliema
and valletta...

How long are you thinking of staying because nobody seemed to mention that prices ( I Seen - not in Malta yet ) come cheaper depending on if you stay a day, a week, month, half a year, etc.

I assume from your researching areas, work and your post title that you plan no less than from April to October but just remember to use that to your advantage. :)

I really want to work in Malta this summer!
imsosuperwomen have you already found work? Where?
anyone else know how to find work for summer AND onwards because I finish college this summer and not going to university... Thanks everyone!

hi did any of use move to malta for last summer and was it easy to find work? thinking about it for summer 2014

This is a very old thread.
Try looking around and reading some of the previous posts.
The Jobs subject heading may be a good place to start.
Good luck.