Canadians in Abu Dhabi/Dubai

Hi All,

So my wife and I are moving to Abu Dhabi in 1 months time, and I've been given some amazing advice from all of the people here on the Expat.com forums, BUT, I wanted to find out from all the Canadians what's missing from back home..

I guess my question would be: if you knew now what you did before you left, what would you make sure to pack with you before you leave? Kraft crunchy peanut butter (I missed this more than anything while living in the UK), your favurite hockey jersey, REAL maple syrup, Kraft Dinner (lol)... ?

I'm starting to pack my life up here in Toronto and would like to make sure to include a few things I won't be able to pick up while in the UAE..

Thanks!!

36 views and not one Canadian?? Damn...

Hey Good Luck ! :)

"hockey jersey" <3

james.hamad wrote:

Hey Good Luck ! :)

"hockey jersey" <3

lol thanks!

And believe me, I have my Montreal Canadiens jersey packed and ready for the trip over!

Hello cwilde.

Here is the list of Canadian expatriates in Abu Dhabi. Maybe it can help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

cwidle
well, one thing u will find similar b/w two places is temerature but with + sign. Abu Dhabi (Dubai) is a wonderful place to live, a vibrant and plusating city with lot of things to do...from beaches to deserts...malls to pubs/bars/discotheques...amazing night life (in Dubai especially) and its not a "DRY" country.
In nut shell it will keep you engaged the whole year.
I am hopeful that you will have a good time here...either alone or with family.
Good luck and welcome
Cheers
Waqas Zafar
(Ottawa, ON)

waqas wrote:

cwidle
well, one thing u will find similar b/w two places is temerature but with + sign. Abu Dhabi (Dubai) is a wonderful place to live, a vibrant and plusating city with lot of things to do...from beaches to deserts...malls to pubs/bars/discotheques...amazing night life (in Dubai especially) and its not a "DRY" country.
In nut shell it will keep you engaged the whole year.
I am hopeful that you will have a good time here...either alone or with family.
Good luck and welcome
Cheers
Waqas Zafar
(Ottawa, ON)

Waqas,

Thank you very much for all of your input! I'll be coming to Abu Dhabi in 2 weeks time, so it;s nice to hear positive things about making the jump over...

To be honest, most Canadians are unfamiliar with life in UAE and continue to question why I would give up my life here to move abroad.. Enough with the close-minded people already, I just want to make the move lol

Hey cwilde, are you in town? ;)

Hey Guys ! why dont we all plan a meetup ?

james.hamad wrote:

Hey cwilde, are you in town? ;)

Not quite yet. I have 10 days left in Toronto, than I move over.. Looking forward to coming over, but definitely starting to get a bit nervous!

We'll al have to get some ppl together soon.. I know a few people are up for some pickup football or basketball.. I'm up for either!

M in

Hey Cool !! Just let me know once you're in town !

I hope that the weather will be fine once you're here ! ;)

So... after all these years... how was the move cwilde?  good, bad, experiences ?  Was it worth it ? :)   I´m almost moving over there (Abu Dhabi) and doing research as well!