Expats bearing the burden of higher costs in Kuwait

Me again :)

the next piece of news is very important for those currently in Kuwait and those wishing to come to Kuwait, as it draws a general idea of the way expats are viewed.

Here are some figures for the proposed increases in driver's licence and vehicle registration fees:

The gist of the proposal is as follows, for Non-Kuwaiti's:

1) 500KD instead of 10KD: issuance fee

2) 50KD instead of 1KD: renewal fee (except for drivers by profession)

3) Car registration - 300KD instead of 10KD. Renewal of car registration 100KD instead of 10KD, and these fees increase incrementally by 100KD for every second, third car etc.

Vehicles have increased in Kuwait annually by 9%, the population increases by 2.5% and the infrastructure changes at a rate of 2.1% per annum.

The Ministry also stated that licenses issued to expats since the year 2000 is over 810,000. The valid licenses to date are 581,000. There are over 166,000 vehicles older than 10 years and still on the road, of which expats own 487,000.

Here's a link to read more about it.

and heres the link to the news agency website, its in arabic tho.

Is it fair that expats are being forced to bear the brunt of rising costs?

so much for 'it'll be cheaper to drive in kuwait' oh well that sucks!!

and also, dont forget the most important rule of economics - the trickle down theory. meaning:

in the face of these rising costs, taxi's etc. will also raise their fees, to help cover the rising costs.

its a vicious circle.

altho i agree that renewing the license should cost more than 1KD, 50 is excessive, make it 10, not 50 times as much at once!

500KD instead of 10KD for issue?? Is that for a license?? Looks like I will be spending a lot of time at home, reading!

mon expat ami's, the above is still in "planning phase", just FYI, im merely translating what was said in Arabic daily, it is not the current law (I will fill you all in on the proper licence renewal procedure as mine is up for renewal as of the 19th of this month), if i pay 50KD for renewing, that way we'll know they implemented the new system.

its still in planning stages probably.

this is just a glimpse of what its like to be an expat in Kuwait.

u are already scaring me off, Legacy..was planning to apply for a driving license soon..

btw..it is nice to read your regular feedback and important posts for expat information..

Thank you :D

Dont b worried, it's just being discussed, they'll definitely put it to rest

Honestly, I don't mind paying a little more for these things. Fifty times the usual cost is just ridiculously extreme though.

You really are a wealth of information, legacy! :)

:up:

I like to read, and I like to help people :)

thanks Crittle ;)

be assured everyone, renewal fees are still 1KD :)

legacy wrote:

be assured everyone, renewal fees are still 1KD :)

:top:
Good looking out!

Legacy...
As usualy... "MOST" of what you put out is awesome info!!!
Just F@*(^%#! with you about the most... hahaha

This is simply insane! Especially for a country with no public transport.

Do you know what will be effective date of these changes? I will be receiving my civil ID within next couple of weeks and was planning to buy a car immediately, but i will not pay these insane and discriminatory amounts.

Max it will take quite some time before the govt changes these, i'm just merely posting it to make people aware of how the people think on this side of the globe :)

it wont be for any considerable part of the near future, so worry and fret not :D

It's still not yet pushed through right? The driver's license cost? Is it also true that you have to be in Kuwait for at least 2 years before you can apply for a driver's license? I'm actually planning to get mine hopefully by December but the expenses and the said new rules wowed me out!

rules have NOT been implemented yet, as for the 2 year thing, i'm not 100% sure. there's a DMV in Jabriya, best place to ask :)

The 2 year residence is dependent on your profession.  Doctors, nurses, teachers, engineers, professors, etc.. and many more categories are exempted from the 2 year requirement.

legacy

thx - verified this with the office folks this morning. They said the same - that it will take some time and most probably the raise will not be as drastic as currently being proposed.

Will rush up on the car as soon as i get my papers done.

Very, very helpful information.

Hi legacy, could you make a sticky about the legalities, procedure of going about in getting a new license and all the other formalities associated with it along with the cost?

Would be really helpful!

I'll try T2J, thing is - it has a lot of factors. its best done through your companies mandoub (messenger) as they are more familiar with the process. it depends on your job description that is punched into your work permit. others have to satisfy a salary criteria, some get exemptions from salary.

u basically apply for a learning permit, and then schedule an exam after a certain number of lessons.

Dear Legacy,

First of all let me thank you for your helping mind...!

I was wondering whether the rules written on the first post still applicable or not. Because I am supposed to be there at Kuwait by mid of coming September and I am planning to take license there along with a car. I know the thread is old but I wish if I could get answer for that old thread because it is applicable in my case.

Thanks in advance.

expat licenses are now being exclusively issued by a single dept. in the DMV under the patronage of the minister of interior himself in order to curb the phenomena of expat drivers in kuwait.

if ur coming over from qatar and have a license over there it should be a fairly simple affair to get that license converted here. i think.

Dear Legacy,

Thank You so much for your prompt response and I really appreciate that. Then if possible can you tell me approximate total cost for getting license in Kuwait..?

Thanks in advance.