Divorce In Egypt!!

meme1 wrote:

I wish all foreigners who fall in love with egyptian guys to never pay a pound for the sake of love, some of them are really fake and look for a marriage with foreigners for money purposes.I wish all foreigners know this lesson for good.I really wish foreigners to see this topic on this forum before going for a marriage. Things are not never like in EU.I am sad to hear same stories about egyptians. :o

Not just Egyptians. Moroccans, Algerians, Tunisians, Senegalese, Guineans. Many prey on the vulnerable and give the rest a bad name. I wish the foreign partner would ask him/herself some questions and look in the mirror. Are they homely in appearance? Do they have a blemish? Are they gravitationally challenged? Have they gone through a bad divorce or break-up so are emotionally weak? Do they normally have low self esteem? If the answer to any one of these questions is "Yes", then they should ask why on earth an attractive, young person from the developing world wants to marry them. They should be even more careful if there is an age difference, especially women. It is a presumption in these countries that even much older men can marry younger women, but young men never marry older women as they want children - this is ingrained from childhood. In addition, it is an outrage for a child of a respectable Muslim family to marry out of their religion. Thus families which allow this are in on the scam, seeing advantage for themselves. Older foreign guys marrying younger women in these countries will always be marrying a woman who has a poor reputation already. I have seen this dozens of times. But if one is "on the shelf" or a perpetual wallflower, I can see how anyone can get infatuated by a lovely young thing murmuring "I love you, you're so sexy". They don't mean a word of it. They want the visa to get out and they want money.

maryann83 wrote:

Hi

Are there any lawyers known to anyone who don't charge this ridiculous  amount of money?
What is the quickest method?
If I have a good friend there I trust and give them POA can they do this for me  and how much would the court costs be?

Please help me  as I can't seem to get anywhere with this 

Thanks!

Hello. The UK Embassy website has lists of lawyers in many towns in Egypt who have been recommended by British people. I hasten to add that for obvious reasons, the Embassy does not endorse these lawyers. That's a start.

Good luck.

if all these "prince" from above mentioned countries wil be like you, then we have a more heathy world.

Dora anyone have actual advice or experience of this instead of their personal opinion or guessing? I really need assistance with this. The lawyers recommended by the embassy want at least 1000 GBP which I simply don't have so if anyone can share actual experience it would be greatly appreciated.

Well, so blooming sorry.

No one's guessing, they are trying to make constructive suggestions. If those suggestions are not suitable, then come back and say so and ask for further advice instead of getting testy about it. Remember it's YOUR mess, not ours.

SvenStockholm wrote:
meme1 wrote:

I wish all foreigners who fall in love with egyptian guys to never pay a pound for the sake of love, some of them are really fake and look for a marriage with foreigners for money purposes.I wish all foreigners know this lesson for good.I really wish foreigners to see this topic on this forum before going for a marriage. Things are not never like in EU.I am sad to hear same stories about egyptians. :o

Not just Egyptians. Moroccans, Algerians, Tunisians, Senegalese, Guineans. Many prey on the vulnerable and give the rest a bad name. I wish the foreign partner would ask him/herself some questions and look in the mirror. Are they homely in appearance? Do they have a blemish? Are they gravitationally challenged? Have they gone through a bad divorce or break-up so are emotionally weak? Do they normally have low self esteem? If the answer to any one of these questions is "Yes", then they should ask why on earth an attractive, young person from the developing world wants to marry them. They should be even more careful if there is an age difference, especially women. It is a presumption in these countries that even much older men can marry younger women, but young men never marry older women as they want children - this is ingrained from childhood. In addition, it is an outrage for a child of a respectable Muslim family to marry out of their religion. Thus families which allow this are in on the scam, seeing advantage for themselves. Older foreign guys marrying younger women in these countries will always be marrying a woman who has a poor reputation already. I have seen this dozens of times. But if one is "on the shelf" or a perpetual wallflower, I can see how anyone can get infatuated by a lovely young thing murmuring "I love you, you're so sexy". They don't mean a word of it. They want the visa to get out and they want money.

I have written a reply and I have deleted it. I was emotional and was going to argue. Then after a second thought I realized that, sadly, there are many of my countrymen who give all of us a bad name. Can't argue with that.

maryann83 wrote:

Dora anyone have actual advice or experience of this instead of their personal opinion or guessing? I really need assistance with this. The lawyers recommended by the embassy want at least 1000 GBP which I simply don't have so if anyone can share actual experience it would be greatly appreciated.

mostly an English speaking lawyer in Egypt (and truly English speaking, not "Engelesh ZBeaking") will be costly, especially if they belong to a credible, well-established law firm, and are recommended by a foreign embassy such as the British embassy.

The price tag might be high, but that might be about what you are going to pay, with other dodgy lawyers (Most Egyptian lawyers are dodgy anyways) you - to them, the fair-skinned, non-Arabic speaking foreigner - will be taken advantage of all through and will have money continuously taken for some reason or another.

No need to be rude. I did not st it was anyone else's fault so calm down.

Thank you for your response. I just am not sure if this is something I can do myself without legal representation.

maryann83 wrote:

Thank you for your response. I just am not sure if this is something I can do myself without legal representation.

in Egypt, without speaking Arabic?  NO EFFING WAY

Can anybody help me?
I am currently in egypt and wanting a divorce from my egyptian muslim husband.. (not sure if it makes a difference)
i am from the UK.
we got married in the ministry of justice in Cairo but didn't get it translated. It was all so quick and rushed i don't even know how to know if it's registered in the UK or not? if so how?
If he agrees how do we divorce? Do we go back to the same place? how much does it cost and how long does it take?
Is this divorce registered also in the uk and will i be able to marry again without issues later on in the future?

Please help.

Emilyh1 wrote:

Can anybody help me?
I am currently in egypt and wanting a divorce from my egyptian muslim husband.. (not sure if it makes a difference)
i am from the UK.
we got married in the ministry of justice in Cairo but didn't get it translated. It was all so quick and rushed i don't even know how to know if it's registered in the UK or not? if so how?
If he agrees how do we divorce? Do we go back to the same place? how much does it cost and how long does it take?
Is this divorce registered also in the uk and will i be able to marry again without issues later on in the future?

Please help.

if he agrees you just need to go back to the same place and it's a nominal fee, you can later on attest it, translate it, and register it in the UK if you wish

Thankyou for replying.
This is where i've gotten confused.
I only married in egypt at the ministry of justice. i did not go to the uk or send any details to them. (that i know of)
so if i return to divorce will it cancel out the marriage entirely here and in the uk?

Emilyh1 wrote:

Thankyou for replying.
This is where i've gotten confused.
I only married in egypt at the ministry of justice. i did not go to the uk or send any details to them. (that i know of)
so if i return to divorce will it cancel out the marriage entirely here and in the uk?

That needs a consultation of a British law practitioner, because it's out of the Egyptian jurisdiction

The wife gets to keep the child, if it's a boy, she will keep him till age 15 and then will be asked to choose which parent to live with, as if it's a girl she will stay with her mom till the age of 18

I have read every single one of these types of threads over the past year and it can be a help and sometimes a confusing nightmare. Today I heard from my lawyer in Egypt that my divorce has been completed. It should be notorised with the uk ministry in the next week or so and my nightmare past will be over. I want to give back where I can to thank yo all for posting tips and advise and also to reduce the headache that anyone may be experience. So here is my tale.

It starts and end the way most people are posting here so I won't go into it. Also my partner was trying to blackmail me refusing to agree to the divorce unless I paid him a substantial amount of money. I told him id rather spend 10x as much on lawyers than accept his bribe. We were only married a few months before he revealed his true colours. I am a British muslim girl and I have Egyptian family. Two things that have been a great help to me in dealing with all this, my faith and my family- and trying to have patience. So here is my recipe for a divorce. This is what I did and it may not be the only way but it is certainly a way.

Ingredients:
-a lawyer in Egypt                                             
-paperwork to get power of attorney
-a bit of cash (no more than £1,000)
-patience

Method:
1. Get a lawyer based in Egypt. One that can be trusted and one who is recommended. (if you send me a private message I can send over details of one) He will file for kohl'

2. Sign over power of attorney to the lawyer either from visiting Egypt or if this is not an option you can do it in the UK.  I had to get power of attorney papers from the lawyer in Egypt (make sure they are in english and meet UK standards) You have to get them notorised in the uk by a solicitor (£7 or free if they're kind) . I also had to send them off to the FCO for them to be legalised (£30 per page) Fedex them back to Egypt (£37)

3. Your lawyer will get a court date where you appear to make your statement that you can no longer be married. Your partner will be notified of this too*. As part of this you will be asked to see the courts psychologist who will ask you questions to determine that you are indeed not being irrational. In my case they stated that my ex clearly had deep psychological problems.

*If he does not appear it delays things of course. The courts will send him papers to notify him that his wife is requesting a divorce. If he does not respond they will try again. He has a certain time frame to respond and a coupe of attempts are made.

4. The next step involves the police physically taking the papers to him. If he still refused to take receipt then the police stamp to confirm every attempt has been made to try and inform him. This can take a few months and is a very annoying time.

5. Once the court are satisfied that every attempt has been made to allow him to respond they will schedule a court hearing.

6. It may take a few months to get the court date. The lawyer will appear on your behalf and the courts will read out their judgement. Hopefully they will tell you that your divorce has been accepted.

7. Your lawyer will receive papers and in the same way you registered your marriage your lawyer can register your divorce so it will be recognised in your home country.

8. Inshallah if all goes to plan you can finally get on with your life and feel comforted knowing that allah will judge us all including your ex who made your life hell in this process.

What was his true colours? That you were being used for a British Passport? That won't be a surprise at all. Pretty much a normal thing.

No he didn't want to come to the UK actually.

alex22uk wrote:

No he didn't want to come to the UK actually.

Isn't that what they usually say? That they don't want to relocate. Pretending they don't want something, in order to hide the real intention... Anyway, from experience, that's what usually happens. They ask someone to come and move over, then that person struggles with life there (which they already knew will happen). Then they hope that person will move back, and surprise surprise...take them along with them of course! Not a very intelligent tactic, but it works!

:top::thanks: .......live your life as you like/feel/must. Thank you for your post,it's a benefit for me.

Please help me!

Hello and good morning.
I want to ask you something, im married to an egyptian man but not in certificate marriage. We use to marriage with عرفي marriage paper. I don't even expect that he want to married me uncertified marriage bcs he had been marriage with an Australian woman, and he unable to marry more than one bcs Australian law.

My main question is, is عرفي marriage is legal or not? Im asking several people in egypt and they've a lot of opinion. And i know it's unhealthy marriage that i pass through now. He told me that he'll divorce her wife after her wife travel to Australian back on Dec and want to certificate our marriage.

And i feel my dignity lost, due to marry like that. And i dont want to be polygamy. Non of women in the world want to share her husband with anyone else. I've ask him to divorce me for many times but i dont have a power to do more further bcs due to uncertified marriage paper. And maybe the court will not accept due to many different opinion about عرفي marriage. Its been unfair for my life, i was doing a mistake but i want to repay back what i've done.

And now im in malaysia, and عرفي marriage is not illegal here bcs we use Mazhab Shafie.

Another question is, do i still be his wife when im in malaysia? Bcs we just married عرفي without any certificate married.

I hope you can help me to solve this problem. Please! Thankyou and God blessed you!

Unfortunately it's life. And u don't know what's happening around the corner for u. Just be happy and I believe some things good waiting for you. ;)

I have a question. Married my ex,husband, an  Egyptian, Muslim  at Ministry of Justice, He divorced me, a Irrevocable Divorce,   at the M of J. in Cairo 2 years later.  it was over a year since I had last seen him when he divorced me, me as a Christian living in USA, did I have to have a Iddah time?, 

Actually our marriage was not legal in USA, cause he only had a First Revocable Divorce from his first wife, no Final Decree Immigration did not see this as a legal marriage....   Then married her again while still married to me cause he found out I knew he could not produce a Final Divorce Decree

Hi. I have been seeing an egyptian man for about a year. He is married but wants to get divorced and was saving up to pay his wife the money agreed in the marriage contract. She has found out and had him arrested. He is now in jail where as I understand it, he remains unless he pays her £150000 egyptian pounds.
I thought divorce e was simple in egypt. How long can he remain in jail as he can't pay her? Does he still have to pay her when he is released? Is there no other way to stop him being locked up? Is this normal in egypt?  Any advice would be helpful!

In jail cause wife found out he was planning on divorcing her?   Not likely.  Men can divorce their wives in a matter of a couple of hours even without her there......    How do you know he is in jail?  I smell BS

I think you have a scammer.... Not all men are scammers there, many good Egyptian men.....
but this one, I'd be very very careful, and don't send him money.  I truly Egyptian, Muslim man does NOT take money from a woman, no matter what.

I speak from experience, been there, done that, and have the T-shirt.

Be careful,  what you wrote don't sound right.

I agree he is just another scammer

Yep, I smell a scam..... I hope she has not sent him a dime no matter how well she thinks she knows him.  My ex should have a Academy Award for his act of caring, and etc.  I was too stupid to see it too late

Me too I am married for 8years to my husband in my country. We come here and Use all my money for a stupid business.  Next he remarries his first wife behind my back. He waited for me to leave the country to go on holidays. I only found out about the marriage. Three months ago. He lied to me fo seven months. How is that for a scammer. I think he would win the trophy for the biggest liar

it is not a lie...... it is called مؤخر صداق   ...... i am sorry i don't know the word in english .......... but this money is paid after divorce .. not before divorce ......... if he don't pay , then he go to jail

you ask for help >>> what is exactly the help needed ????

concerning he cant marry you ( certified ) because of his australian wife , i would say to you ; that Australian law is not applied here

concerning orfi marriage is legal or not ......... you will find many different opinions .......  but the difference is based on religious opinions ..........  difference only elated to the religion ...........    BUT , in court , the orfi marriage is not accepted ........ you can't go to court to ask divorce ...........   it is not legalized marriage .................   maybe the only case that  court "may" study a case of orfi marriage ; is when there are kids  born and to prove paternity

concening you still his wife in malaysia ; yes .... you are his wife in every place ..  because you accepted this orfi marriage

i don't know if i could help or not ... you can ask if you feel need more info

I am sorry I don't understand. What do you mean it's not a lie?  What do you mean he pays money before?

i meant that the man maybe not lying that he is in jail , because he didn't pay his ex-wife.....

but the money is paid after finishing the divorce .......... not before the divorce
the amount is money is already determined in the marriage contract

so , for the story to be true , the man should had already divorced his wife ... then he didn't pay .. then she claimed him in court .. and the court sent him to jail .......................

If u need to know about yourrights in Egypt law. In case ur husband dies.u cannot keep anything of him.
inheritance
The law won't let u inherited from ur Egyptian husband unless u are a musleman.
Iam facing daily cases

Thanks for the explanation. I am sure many of us expat women appreciate the truth

What about if you have a business venture?
What if you have a contract between you both?

I totally agree,just when knowing a local Egyptian, try to pick up the one from big cities,cairo.alex,but from countryside means lower education and lower society level,I am having a case now.for a.romanian living in countryside.banha,she is really suffering after husbands death,
Ilive in europe 12 years non stop and I just returned now.
Me myself is having some issues with adapting,
Try to be always in capital,as countryside is dangerous too.
Things you will discover by time.
Try to have something on your name if you are married.get a baby,and to inherit get an Islam certificate.other wise husband dies.nothing will remain to u.
We will organise together. Alerting about that and I'll let you in details
Cheers

Well then, I already contacted the UK embassy to be listed in lawyers.list. But I'll send them needed docs after feast.
I can give you the right answers you need,for free.
About fees I front of court, it's a bit expensive cause we pay taxes at court for foreigner cases too,plus other documentations.
Lawyers are materials
,cheap ones get cheap results,but not very expensive ones depending on your case.
I can tell you an example
I have a romanian client whom her husband died and she got kicked of home, no will,not musleman,no kids and she need to inherit.
She is paying 5000 euro
Other case.an Egyptian husband took the child and hide it.and needs 60000 euro to give it to mam.she needs kids out
She is paying 10 000 euro
A countryside wife.romanian living in banha,musleman certificate.kids,Legal to inherit need to leave with kids from countryside,villagers don't let,case I front of court.money in bank.property by both names,she is paying 4000 euro
Is no big fees here,
In family CA see s,there is revenge,terror to the lawyer,mission to get foreigner safe,court.transportation ext..
Every case is different.just before you do something please ask first and I'll help
Thanks

If he dies,you will not take your half.unkess rest of family will have their share..a contract between you both is ok. Registered and legalized and translated.to English.
.the problem is I can not meet with a foreigner and her Egyptian husband and says that.i have to check the contract.otherwise he will come after.me.
Only way is to meet away from husband and in egypt is a bit difficult
Only way is at embassy and if possible in a cafe.but in cairo.
Countryside like kaliubeya.banha,munufeya,is different.just.to meet cause husband will know.this is countryside trips.

His wife will inherit him,but if you are not a musleman you will not take anything,if u have a baby he will inherit.
Try trave your own account, if u need to live with him become a musleman,if not don't make scandals.prepare yourself.
Save cash,get partnership on papers, tell him to write to you an apartment by your name.get something on your name only,and if u need help contact me.
And measure the importance of the situation as fees for your lawyer.
I can tell here free whatever you need,but believe me.if it's not an expat lawyer like me.lived in europe.the Egyptian lawyer will be afraid from your husband family and he may tell him.
But in my case.iam from cairo. downtown,good family.lawyer of 3 European embassies.good society level.i receive threats but I defend.😀 back hard.i have my connections too.
Idont like bad treatment,or fake live.or treating a woman badly.
Anyway guys. Lucky tha TV you have me around😊
UNTILL I'll get shot.

All, urgent help is MUCH needed as my application with USCIS is about to be denied.

I'm a permanent resident originally from Egypt. I got married to an Egyptian citizen in 2010, and we went through divorce in early 2015 ... both events happened in Egypt.

In mid 2015 I became a permanent resident of the U.S. with no souse/dependents (Status: Divorced) and got my GC in August 2015.

I met my current wife (Egyptian) in January 2016, and we got married a few months later, in Egypt.

I filed I-130 application for my new wife, and I have included all required documents but - sadly - got an RFE two weeks ago asking for a "PROOF OF LEGAL TERMINATION OF MARRIAGE" and in the explanation it said "The type of divorce decree necessary for the benefit being sought must be irrevocable".

I responded to the RFE with a photocopy of my past marriage divorce decree, and its English translation; Both are certified and officially registered in Egypt.

Today morning, I realized that somewhere in the divorce decree that I sent (which I obtained from Egypt, translated, registered at Ministry of Foreign Affairs and authenticated) it said that the divorce is "revocable". This is how things are in Egypt, because in Islam, first and second divorces are revocable (i.e, The couple may choose to get married again in the future, but with new marriage contract). It's only after the third divorce that it becomes "irrevocable". They cannot marry each other again until after she has married another husband and got a divorce!

The presence of the word "revocable" is freaking me out! and it might freak the IO out too! Although it's clearly explained in the divorce decree as:

"Mrs. X became the divorcee of Mr. Y, first divorce pronouncement, revocable, and the said divorced wife will not be legally allowed to marry the said husband but without a new marriage contract and new dowry, and according to her consent"

Does anyone have a similar experience?
Is there anyway I could get an "irrevocable" divorce decree in Egypt?

Please note that the divorce was very civil and peaceful (no courts or fights of any kind), we both walked to a mazoon with witnesses (her family) and we got the divorce decree.

Thanks in advance