Divorce In Egypt!!

asu7s, welcome back! :)

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn it, a real hassle to be married in Egypt.

it's not usually

divorce is messy business everywhere in the world btw

meme1 wrote:

asu7s, welcome back! :)

thank you

meme1 wrote:

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn it, a real hassle to be married in Egypt.

its a hassle to do anything in Egypt....lol

Hi, I married an Egyptian guy in Egypt, he got a court order behind my back of restricting myself and my son from traveling to another country. My son and I hold the American nationality. How can I go about canceling this court order, can I leave the country since now I filed for khlo3. Is there anything I can do to be able to travel with my son when I need to.

Lost here wrote:

Hi, I married an Egyptian guy in Egypt, he got a court order behind my back of restricting myself and my son from traveling to another country. My son and I hold the American nationality. How can I go about canceling this court order, can I leave the country since now I filed for khlo3. Is there anything I can do to be able to travel with my son when I need to.

your son will never leave without the father's consent.

Lost here wrote:

check with your embassy, they have lawyers who could help you

According to Egyptian Law, a wife or an ex-wife is not permitted to leave the country with the children of an Egyptian citizen if marriage took place in Egypt

No one will be able to help with this

I am in a tricky situation and would really appreciate some advice.

I got officially married to my Muslim (I am Christian) husband in Egypt and later it was made official in my home country in Europe. My husband turned out to be aggressive and abusive and I want to divorce him. I don't care so much about the divorce in Egypt, but I need the divorce in my home country. I have filed divorce papers already 7 months ago but my husband has not gotten them. He lives in Sharm El Sheikh and moved to another apartment and I cannot find out his address. I know the street (but not by name) and the building, but not the exact address! The court in my home country just need to inform my husband that I have filed for divorce and then 6 months waiting period starts and after that the divorce is final. We have a prenup in my home country that is registered, so he will not get any money from me. However, I don't know how to get these papers to my husband and also I am sure he will not reply anything even if he received them.

He has agreed to divorce me in Egypt if I pay 1000 € to him. He says it costs around 1800 € for him to get all the papers, stamps and translations in Egypt. I don't want to pay him this money (especially as I loaned him around 3500 € when we lived together and I know I will never see this money) as I cannot trust him that he would actually file for divorce and take care of the whole process with my embassy etc.

He is threatening me that if I ever go to Egypt and I'm still legally his wife, he will not let me leave the country - can he do this? I would think that my embassy would save me in this situation but I cannot be sure.

I don't know what would be the best way to proceed as I cannot trust him at all. I will contact my home country's court and the embassy in Cairo for advice too, but would appreciate some advice and experiences from you.

Sorry to hear that...

Answering your questions,

If you come to Egypt , Yes, he can ... This is an authority given to the husband by law...

You better find a lawyer in Egypt, issue him a power of attorney in the Egyptian Embassy in your country, and file for "Khol3" it is better for you this way...

Best wishes

1000 Euros for a divorce? LMAO !  This guy will suck you dry if you let him.

Divorce is not even 100 pounds, translation and attestation is not more than - as much is it could go - 200-300 pounds for translation (if you need it in some rare language without many translators, English wouldn't even cost a 100), and I'd say the embassy wouldn't charge more than a 100 Euros for attesting the translation. Overall it's not even 150 Euros.

Husbands can NOT prevent wives from departing, tell him to go do something to himself that is anatomically impossible to do, if you know what I mean.

Just get a divorce lawyer in Egypt to do Khol3 for you (unilateral divorce from the woman's side), you will only need to pay back the dowry stated in your marriage certificate (probably a 100 pounds or some nominal amount)....

The.Interpreter wrote:

If you come to Egypt , Yes, he can ... This is an authority given to the husband by law...

Do NOT give wrong information please. This law has been abolished since the 1990s !

Husbands can NOT stop wives from leaving, they can only stop minor children from leaving, but not wives.

The Egyptian wrote:
The.Interpreter wrote:

Do NOT give wrong information please. This law has been abolished since the 1990s !

Husbands can NOT stop wives from leaving, they can only stop minor children from leaving, but not wives.

Thank God for that! He still threatens me with this and I will let him think I believe that. Ha.

The Egyptian wrote:

1000 Euros for a divorce? LMAO !  This guy will suck you dry if you let him.

Divorce is not even 100 pounds, translation and attestation is not more than - as much is it could go - 200-300 pounds for translation (if you need it in some rare language without many translators, English wouldn't even cost a 100), and I'd say the embassy wouldn't charge more than a 100 Euros for attesting the translation. Overall it's not even 150 Euros.

Husbands can NOT prevent wives from departing, tell him to go do something to himself that is anatomically impossible to do, if you know what I mean.

Just get a divorce lawyer in Egypt to do Khol3 for you (unilateral divorce from the woman's side), you will only need to pay back the dowry stated in your marriage certificate (probably a 100 pounds or some nominal amount)....

I thought that he is trying to benefit from this situation, poor man. I will talk with my embassy on Sunday and ask for their advice too.

Meanwhile, I don't really see a reason to get a divorce in Egypt if he cannot stop me from traveling (although I will not set foot in Egypt for a couple of years anyway). I talked with my homeland's court and they told me that the Egyptian officials might be able to send the papers to his workplace. Fingers crossed! If they will not do that or it doesn't work, then the officials can make an announcement in an official newspaper to find him (but there are some restrictions to whether this case fills the requirements or not) and from this the 6 month waiting period will start. That would serve him right. Then luckily in my country I can get a divorce without waiting time after we haven't been living together in 2 years, so anyway I can get a divorce in the fall. Thank god for our legislation!

DesperateS wrote:
The Egyptian wrote:
The.Interpreter wrote:

Thank God for that! He still threatens me with this and I will let him think I believe that. Ha.

he's merely bluffing, he can't do jack s**t ...... and travel bans of any kind btw require a court order

So he can after all ... Through a court order !!!

The.Interpreter wrote:

No he can't ..... I said travel bans in general need a court order, the court is the only authority that can instruct the Department of Passports, Immigration, and Citizenship to ban someone from travelling. A husband cannot just go to the airport or call Immigration (like in those cheesy 1980s cheaply made Egyptian movies) and ask for his wife to be stopped at the airport.

The law changed in the 1990s, and husbands lost for good the right to ban a wife (foreign or Egyptian) from departing, even Egyptian wives no longer require a husband's approval to have their passports issued. A court will not give a husband a court order of a travel ban for his wife any longer.

Only thing a husband can do with a foreign wife, if they have children, is to place a travel ban (through a court order) on the children, but not the wife, to prevent her from departing with them, but she can depart on her own whenever she wants.

The Egyptian wrote:
The.Interpreter wrote:

No he can't ..... I said travel bans in general need a court order, the court is the only authority that can instruct the Department of Passports, Immigration, and Citizenship to ban someone from travelling. A husband cannot just go to the airport or call Immigration (like in those cheesy 1980s cheaply made Egyptian movies) and ask for his wife to be stopped at the airport.

The law changed in the 1990s, and husbands lost for good the right to ban a wife (foreign or Egyptian) from departing, even Egyptian wives no longer require a husband's approval to have their passports issued. A court will not give a husband a court order of a travel ban for his wife any longer.

Only thing a husband can do with a foreign wife, if they have children, is to place a travel ban (through a court order) on the children, but not the wife, to prevent her from departing with them, but she can depart on her own whenever she wants.

That sounds legit. We don't have any children, so it will not be a problem.
I feel bad for the foreign ex-wives who cannot take their children with them to their own home country, that's a real tragedy.

DesperateS wrote:
The Egyptian wrote:
The.Interpreter wrote:

I feel bad for the foreign ex-wives who cannot take their children with them to their own home country, that's a real tragedy.

and I feel bad for Egyptian ex-husbands whose children were taken away and can never see them again. It's a two-way street .....

The Egyptian wrote:
DesperateS wrote:
The Egyptian wrote:

and I feel bad for Egyptian ex-husbands whose children were taken away and can never see them again. It's a two-way street .....

True! It happens everywhere in the world.

I wish all foreigners who fall in love with egyptian guys to never pay a pound for the sake of love, some of them are really fake and look for a marriage with foreigners for money purposes.I wish all foreigners know this lesson for good.I really wish foreigners to see this topic on this forum before going for a marriage. Things are not never like in EU.I am sad to hear same stories about egyptians. :o

The Egyptian wrote:
The.Interpreter wrote:

So, you mean even throught a court , an order to be banned from traveling is still not possible?Hardly to be issued?

meme1 wrote:

I wish all foreigners who fall in love with egyptian guys to never pay a pound for the sake of love, some of them are really fake and look for a marriage with foreigners for money purposes.I wish all foreigners know this lesson for good.I really wish foreigners to see this topic on this forum before going for a marriage. Things are not never like in EU.I am sad to hear same stories about egyptians. :o

Not all Egyptian men are like that. Many Egyptian men are happily married to foreigners, the moment he asks you - or even hints - for money, then yes I agree with you, or if he speaks about visa few days into the relationship ....

But there are many Egyptian MEN who are truly MEN, who would NEVER live off their wives' money, because this is a very unmanly thing to do in our culture.

meme1 wrote:
The Egyptian wrote:
The.Interpreter wrote:

So, you mean even throught a court , an order to be banned from traveling is still not possible?Hardly to be issued?

absolutely impossible for a man to put a ban on his wife, except for criminal reasons, and for that matter, anyone can put a ban on anyone, not husband-wife only. And for that, he needs first to get a court verdict of imprisonment for the criminal act, then use that for the travel ban, and again, this applies to anyone.

But for a husband to put a travel ban on a wife just because she's his wife, is impossible

Hello, I have a question and I hope you could help me...I married an Egyptian man in Cairo many years ago in Cairo, Egypt... we lived apart because he could not get the visa to come to the USA to be with me.... eventually 5 years ago he abandoned me and I heard he married another woman in Egypt and has a new family... he is Muslim I am Christian ; I asked him for a divorce but he ignored me.... how can I divorce him in Egypt? Do I have to go there to divorce him by khul ?  any information of help will be highly appreciated.  Thank you...troubledmarriage

troubledmarriage wrote:

Hello, I have a question and I hope you could help me...I married an Egyptian man in Cairo many years ago in Cairo, Egypt... we lived apart because he could not get the visa to come to the USA to be with me.... eventually 5 years ago he abandoned me and I heard he married another woman in Egypt and has a new family... he is Muslim I am Christian ; I asked him for a divorce but he ignored me.... how can I divorce him in Egypt? Do I have to go there to divorce him by khul ?  any information of help will be highly appreciated.  Thank you...troubledmarriage

Get a divorce lawyer to get you divorce by Khul3

The Egyptian wrote:
meme1 wrote:

Not all Egyptian men are like that. Many Egyptian men are happily married to foreigners, the moment he asks you - or even hints - for money, then yes I agree with you, or if he speaks about visa few days into the relationship ....

But there are many Egyptian MEN who are truly MEN, who would NEVER live off their wives' money, because this is a very unmanly thing to do in our culture.

I didn't say ALL.But rare ones are............rare.

Hurghada wrote:

I feel for the ladies in these cases because mostly they have fallen in love and are blind to the fact that for some (and I stress some, not all) Egyptian husbands, it is purely a financial arrangement to better themselves and there families. It is certainly thriving industry in Hurghada. You will see many ladies 50-80 with 20-40yr old Egyptian men. Very sad but for a lot of men this is seen as their only chance of advancement. Poverty twists so much.

Nearly got caught out myself but good job I am a woman of wisdom, I'm due to come to Hurghada in April are there any english people I can meet up with?

Yeah tks I will...I am in the process of that..  thank you for your response ....I appreciate it

U don't have to come to Egypt, just hire an attorney and do a power of attorney in the Egyptian embassy where u live. Just find an attorney in Egypt and he will tell u what exactly u need to do.

Hi

I have read through this forum but not got the info I am looking for. Got married in 2008 to an Egyptian Muslim. I am Christian.  He moved away  to Saudi  3 years ago and I have no contact details  for him. I want a divorce  but lawyers are charging over 800 English pounds to do this. My questions are....

Can I do this myself by going to Cairo? If so how?
The dowry was 1 pound, and wasn't  paid, does this null the marriage?
Are there any lawyers known to anyone who don't charge this ridiculous  amount of money?
What is the quickest method?
If I have a good friend there I trust and give them POA can they do this for me  and how much would the court costs be?

Please help me  as I can't seem to get anywhere with this 

Thanks!

Hi maryann83

Firstly …. I want to ask u about ur marriage …. Did u marriage this person here in Egypt ?..... and if u did ? ….. r u married with legal way … mean is that u both married at the egyptian ‘s ministry of justice & u follow all the legal steps to registers & legalize ur marriage or not ?
If u do ….. so … do u have ur original marriage certificate or not  ?

If ur marriage set with the legal way & u have ur original  marriage certificate … so I can tell u that :
U need to come to Egypt anyway  to get divorced ( khul'a ) …it is  need u to be at the court in personal at the first period of the trial & after that if u want to travel & ur lawyer ( with POA ) will follow the rest of trial till get u the divorce . 
I don't think that u can demand divorce alone without legal aid from some1 now the procedures …. It s so complicated for egyptian.. so u can imagine for foreigners !! …. Anyway if u can do it … no problem .. but u cant … ur friend cant do it behalf in u as he is not a lawyer .
the quickest method for divorced is demanding ( khul'a ) it is the Guaranteed & quickest method … this method will take from 1year – 1 & half …..also if u don't speak Arabic clearly the court will hire for u a registered interpreter to translate ur claims to the court …. And cos u r foreigner the court will hire for u an arbitrator from ( al azhar ) to offer the reconciliation between u & ur husband  (Formality procedure ) … this two procedure cost some addition fees .
for sorry if The dowry wasn't paid that doesn't mean the marriage is null .
about the total cost & fees …. May I can help u in that …. But as told u … u should be here in Egypt at the preliminaries procedures in personal ( about 2 month ) then u can go back .

wish u luck ….. For any further legal support …. Don't hesitated to inbox me for that .

best regards

The Egyptian wrote:

meme1 wrote:

I wish I could say this was true. Luckily my situation ended before marriage but not before I gave him money.

My husband got a court order behind my back banning me and my son so it's not impossible to ban a wife from traveling in Egypt.

Lost here wrote:

My husband got a court order behind my back banning me and my son so it's not impossible to ban a wife from traveling in Egypt.

does the order ban you or ban your son? and on what grounds does the order ban you?

My husband did all this behind my back and signed the notice that was served instead of me when I wasn't home, they said a husband can sign for the wife.

who get the child if the wife wants to divorce her abusive Egyptian  husband when both of them are Muslim ?

meme1 wrote:

Not just Egyptians. Moroccans, Algerians, Tunisians, Senegalese, Guineans. Many prey on the vulnerable and give the rest a bad name. I wish the foreign partner would ask him/herself some questions and look in the mirror. Are they homely in appearance? Do they have a blemish? Are they gravitationally challenged? Have they gone through a bad divorce or break-up so are emotionally weak? Do they normally have low self esteem? If the answer to any one of these questions is "Yes", then they should ask why on earth an attractive, young person from the developing world wants to marry them. They should be even more careful if there is an age difference, especially women. It is a presumption in these countries that even much older men can marry younger women, but young men never marry older women as they want children - this is ingrained from childhood. In addition, it is an outrage for a child of a respectable Muslim family to marry out of their religion. Thus families which allow this are in on the scam, seeing advantage for themselves. Older foreign guys marrying younger women in these countries will always be marrying a woman who has a poor reputation already. I have seen this dozens of times. But if one is "on the shelf" or a perpetual wallflower, I can see how anyone can get infatuated by a lovely young thing murmuring "I love you, you're so sexy". They don't mean a word of it. They want the visa to get out and they want money.