Close

marriage fraud

hello, is marriage fraud a colossal issue in egypt ?( men coming from egypt )

need some guidiance and insight
thanks so much :)

The short answer is yes ... most but not all Egyptian men will marry non egyptian women for the opportunity to live outside egypt ... and will stay married long enough to gain residency.
I personally know 9 such men ...
The women are usually either older and some times considerably or emotionally vulnerable.
If marriage is not an option then the motive is usually casual sex and requests for money usually on the pretext of an ill mother or such. Again personal experience of many ...
But there can be exceptions and I know of 1 very successful marriage .. both well educated professionals of a similar age .. with 3 children and married for about 12 years

I need help . I don't know if mine is fraud or not . I'm four years older , I'm in shape / attractive etc but he does say his mom is sick a lot
He says when he's here he wants to send 100 a month home to cover his mothers medical expenses .

Leila999 :

I need help . I don't know if mine is fraud or not . I'm four years older , I'm in shape / attractive etc but he does say his mom is sick a lot
He says when he's here he wants to send 100 a month home to cover his mothers medical expenses .

Hello, Leila999.

I'm an Egyptian man myself. I have to tell you you have to be very careful while dealing with such relationships. I don't want to intrude here. I cannot claim to know everything. but caution is best.

I would be alerted if my partner mentions money right away even before we travel or meet (Sorry, I don't know if you did).

It depends on how long have you known each other and on the nature of the relationship.

Is he financially stable? so that he can guarantee sending the 100 he says he will? I mean, Why is he mentioning that? I'm just thinking with you out loud.

I am not sure of your exact circumstance in respect to if it is from your money or your husbands money the 100 is from. if it is his well ok, if its yours, in my opinion it is not ok ... $100 dollars is approx. 1800 Egyptian pounds and is the equivalent of an average months salary at the lower to mid range.
I am personally very suspicious of Egyptian men marrying western women. I am not racist or xenophobic, after all I married a Egyptian Muslim woman and I have some very good personal Egyptian friends. But the track record is not good. As I said before I personally know of many such marriages and 9 out of 10 end up with the woman getting exploited. I have seen a guy divorcing his Egyptian wife, marrying an Irish woman (15 years older) and sending money back to support the divorced wife on the pretext of supporting his sick mother and on his first trip home remarrying the first wife, which is perfectly legal and the Irish wife none the wiser. Now, I don't want to sow suspicion where there is no reason but the sick mother story is a recurring theme in exploited cases. If he is not capable of earning his own money and contributing to supporting you rather than the other way round and wants to send your money back home for his sick mother, I would be suspicious. Cultural difference run very deep, it is a very patriarchal society where the man is in charge, respect for women in general is low, where she does what her father tells her until she is married and then what her husband says and in general, women end up on the short end of the stick... and respect for western women is even lower. Now I am not taking a position on this one way or the other; it is just the way the society works and you just need to be aware of it and go in with your eyes open as you are not going to change it.

Please be cautious and check the other stories written here in the expat website about other women's experiences. Unless he is a man with a stable job or a prospective future, who is very open about his economic and social circumstances and lets you meet his family and know how he lives, then you can start considering him. And then make sure he is not just pushing for traveling back to the U.S with you to take the nationality. Best of luck!

Expatriate health insurance in Egypt

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Egypt

Moving to Egypt

Find tips from professionals about moving to Egypt

Travel insurance in Egypt

Enjoy stress-free travel to Egypt