Divorce In Egypt!!

CAREFUL THERE, When I married in Cairo, the U.S. Embassy never asked if he was married or divorce,  that is how I got in the mess of being a 2nd wife,  cause I was soooo stupid and trusted him when he said he was fully divorced.......... 18 months he lied to me on this.
Maybe if the U.S. Embassy asked this key question,  and asked to see his papers, and if I was educated on law there , I would not of traved to hell and back on this mess in my life.

As for the 1st wife, if she is Muslim then YES she has to give permission,  if she is not Muslim, I dont think she has any say in it...  Remember, Muslim Law applies there in marriage.......  no matter where your from , Germany, Holland, United Kingdon, Muslim law applies especial if your a Christian, and he is Muslim,   and if you become a 2nd wife, your marriage most liley will not be valid in your home country. Most coutries frown on polygamy,,, know what i mean?    Be careful, I trusted, and got deceived and very deeply hurt when it was all done and over with....... its a shame, I will never step foot in Egypt again, A country I so love....... and wanted to make my life there, BUT not as any mans 2nd wife!!!!!!!

You need permission only from your embassy,   the U.K. Embassy there in Cairo...

His first wife is English and living in uk they have been separated 18 months now and he says they are divorced. She hs no plans to re unite nor does he. We plan to marry next year but I am worried if this will be allowed as I think if he is not properly divorced then we cannot marry as we will both be Christian but I believe then Muslim law applies ? I do not wish to be a second wife either nor do I want her permission !

my friend want to marry egyptian man and she is asking for steps to prevent marruage misunderstanding

Can an Egyptian wife take her husband to court to stop the divorce happening

hello. hope to know u more. skype: bebo.egypt2

beboegypt wrote:

its not a dating site! :D

don moe wrote:
beboegypt wrote:

its not a dating site! :D

as if we need more bad publicity :D:D:D

I have nothing against Egyptian men, just like any other man in any other country, there are good ones, and scammers.  just be careful. If he was married, get his papers and take to a lawyer. Get them checked out, make sure it is a NON IRREVOCABLE DIVORCE.  You can get a list of attorneys from your embassy in Cairo....... do it, its worth it.   Avoid surprises later down that long road.  As too many hearts have been broken and brusied.And lifes never the same......

This happen to me, and just today, I received my divorce papers from the U.S. embassy........ I will never step foot again in Egypt, and its sad, I love it there.....  Think carefully, and use your head, not your heart......... Please........

bless you
wish you  peace and happiness in future
most of egyptian boys and men like playboys run after expat girls and ladies for sex money and visas to other countries never satisfy with one lady
also some ladies and girls come to egypt run from there native countries and play with men and are greedy use their beauties and body to flirt and play with men for residency and make love affairs with many men at same time
this is my opinion may be i am wrong and right !!!!

houba wrote:

bless you
wish you  peace and happiness in future
most of egyptian boys and men like playboys run after expat girls and ladies for sex money and visas to other countries never satisfy with one lady
also some ladies and girls come to egypt run from there native countries and play with men and are greedy use their beauties and body to flirt and play with men for residency and make love affairs with many men at same time
this is my opinion may be i am wrong and right !!!!

Your profile says you are American but your English says otherwise

And IF your going to apply with Immigration to bring him to your country, HE MUST have a FINAL Divorce, and the FINAL DIVORE DECREE.... OTHERWISE Immigration will not recongnize your marriage in your country.......

many men think if they just have  NON Revocavble divorce that is enough, well it is NOT!  Has to be FINAL, no ever ever going back to wife. This is where many men get caught, and once they are, your marriage is over, and you dont hear from him ever again... and your stuck trying to get a divorce , and it can take a long time.

Im not trying to be hard or ugly, I speak the truth....... Please use your head, and not think with your heart. Ive been there, and hurt badly, but I survived, and the experience made me stronger and wiser.  And hopefuly helping people such as yourself.....
Another thing is if he is younger then you, CAUTION!!!

My ex and I were same age,  early 40's I became very close to his siblings, nieces, nephews, & his friends,  all in Egypt, but he fooled me and his whole family on his divorce. They all thought it was FINAL, done, finished, he lied and tried to benefit himself, all he did was hurt his family and me.......   THINK, and do your homework.

Hi,

I am an american lady who has met an egyptian man who is coptic christian.  His wife in Egypt has left the orthodox church and gone to another christian church and has since filed for divorce from him.  this separation has been going on for years (more than 7) he has two children with her and has since come to American where he has asylum status and has obtained a green card.  He tells me the divorce is completed there it is just a matter of waiting for the judge to sign the paper.  I think there is still some going back and forth about the child support and alimony he will need to pay her, but when will he really be free to marry in America.  He says he needs this paper from the Egyptian court so he can ask the orthodox church for permission to remarry.  He never initiated any divorce proceedings against her and has pretty much given her everything they had there in Egypt including 4 flats.  I just don;t understand why it is so drawn out and why he would not just file for divorce here in a US court just to bring this all to an end and move on with his life.  Can someone shed some light on this for me....

As a matter of fact,he can file his divorce from the US,,,It take 2 months in Vegas!!!!

Hi,want some egyptian person to xplain to me the ruthless selfish behavior I endoured in my marriage,I'm not a person that generalize,so know everyone not the same...will make my story short..ended up closing my business in jhb southafrica to move to egypt to marry a good muslim man...after one month of marriage after been put thrue so much stress trying to adapt to all new things and to make everyone happy my husband went one day to divorce me,without me agreeing and without trying to find all posible solutions first..he knew it was my first marriage and marriage was importand to me and divorce is haram according to me and we already had relations,but he didn't care for this..2days later I was put on a plane back to southafrica,in 2days I could not arrange accomadation quick enough ,nor did I have any funds or could I find work in my country in 2days.so had to come back wth no place to stay,any work or any financial support...I gave up so much for him and he did not care how much he messed up my life.....after he was asking me to come back to egypt,but how cani trust such a person again..would like to know how can a person do that to another human and especially one he supposedly love??so he just wanted to marry vergin girl to have fun wth and then divorce???????

After I just posted asking for inside or explanation of my horrible mis treatment and recent divorce to egyptian man...I actually get egyptian men asking me on dates and if I wana be friends!!!!!!realy....just shows again how different their mindsets is...

did he divorce you without mentioning any reason ?

It depends on person :)  not on all the Egyptian kind of men ... for me as example >> I can adapt my life anywhere , cuz it is a target not just doing it for fun or even exploring other countries :)

Excuse me everybody, Some of you have mentioned that Egyptian are "ruthless, playboys, liars etc...." However, i would say that every place all over the world has good and bad people, but it's according to your own choice, how much are you smart to be sure about your love to and Egyptian man and how much that man is loving you tenderly, is that man will look after you and be totally responsible to you etc.... how welling do you capable to cope with and understand different culture, different thoughts and different religion and so on. Plz guys everybody has his/her own story to tell, everybody has got hurt. on ther other hand, lots of people are happy with their marriage, having children and living a good life together. everyone should know that Egyptian culture and Europe culture are totally different. meanwhile, both (woman & man) must find a tolerance and accept each other for who they are being with respect and be flexible. otherwise, people have to accept the country they are living in despite of it has different culture.
Also, many of Egyptian men has lots of stories towards foreign women!
Please guys, please understand that people are always different, but respect, honesty and truth are the best way to sort out any matter. So, please guys it is not good to publish not good words about Egyptian with my respect to all of you. Thank you, M. Adel

Yavonne......leaving her man in streets with no money to come back is not just about failed relationship.....its completely about being selfish and not responsible person. ...i doubt that she realize meaning of love with that kind of manner

Yavonne wrote:

I thpught my words didnt sound as though i was on about all Egyptian men , thats why i said Turkish etc etc .And my point i was that i was trying to say marrying any foreign person wether male or female , make sure you really know them well enough before you take the plunge

Okay I agree with you :) .... But don't give a prejudge ?

Mohamed Adel wrote:

Excuse me everybody, Some of you have mentioned that Egyptian are "ruthless, playboys, liars etc...." However, i would say that every place all over the world has good and bad people, but it's according to your own choice, how much are you smart to be sure about your love to and Egyptian man and how much that man is loving you tenderly, is that man will look after you and be totally responsible to you etc.... how welling do you capable to cope with and understand different culture, different thoughts and different religion and so on. Plz guys everybody has his/her own story to tell, everybody has got hurt. on ther other hand, lots of people are happy with their marriage, having children and living a good life together. everyone should know that Egyptian culture and Europe culture are totally different. meanwhile, both (woman & man) must find a tolerance and accept each other for who they are being with respect and be flexible. otherwise, people have to accept the country they are living in despite of it has different culture.
Also, many of Egyptian men has lots of stories towards foreign women!
Please guys, please understand that people are always different, but respect, honesty and truth are the best way to sort out any matter. So, please guys it is not good to publish not good words about Egyptian with my respect to all of you. Thank you, M. Adel

All my respect goes to you Mohamed Adel :D

Ts okay .... forget it :)

Hi , i married in the ministry of justice in 2008 and after few months living in egypt came back to the uk without my husband , who then divorced me  ( 2008) he sent me the official translation from ministry of justice of the divorce document and a photo copy of the arabic paper , now 2014 i wish to re marry but the general registrar require the orginial paper , which i dont have , but went to the egyptian consulate and paid them to obtain it for me ( was told would take 45 days ) however we are now past the 45 days , its required within next 2-4 weeks , i don't know anyone in cairo to get it for me , any ideas how i can get the orginial document quickly ? Without being scammed ? Many thanks

Deanna jane wrote:

Hi , i married in the ministry of justice in 2008 and after few months living in egypt came back to the uk without my husband , who then divorced me  ( 2008) he sent me the official translation from ministry of justice of the divorce document and a photo copy of the arabic paper , now 2014 i wish to re marry but the general registrar require the orginial paper , which i dont have , but went to the egyptian consulate and paid them to obtain it for me ( was told would take 45 days ) however we are now past the 45 days , its required within next 2-4 weeks , i don't know anyone in cairo to get it for me , any ideas how i can get the orginial document quickly ? Without being scammed ? Many thanks

Option 1 : fly to Cairo, head to the nearest Civil Status Authority, get your divorce reprinted for you (original computerized certificate)

Option 1B: same as above, but head to Ministry of Justice and get the handwritten one as well, they keep a copy for each party to collect

Option 2 : find a trustworthy friend, give them specific - and not general - power of attorney to deal with Ministry of Justice - Foreigner Marriage Registrar Office, and Ministry of Interior - Civil Status Authority to obtain the documents. Make the PoA as specific as possible (explicitly naming the ministries AND offices within, and the authorities you are granting to the person) ..... He can get it for you almost immediately and courier it to you.

You need the exact date of divorce, his name, his 14 digit national ID card number (not required but would make it much easier)

Many thanks for such a quick reply , the options for me to travel are unavailable due to having small children in school ( travel costs for a family are to expensive and no child care is available for me to leave them behind ) . I do not have any one trustworthy that could get it for me , and finding a honest lawyer in Egypt is hard to establish via emails .. I really do not know how to obtain all official arabic documents quickly within my limits ..

So we should just post good things about Egyptian men.
this is an expat forum - as I am sure you are already aware.
it is a place for expats to post their gripes, and both negative and positive things about Egypt / Egyptian men.
this is a thread about divorce - so do you think you are going to get many positive posts from women.
No - they will post their experiences and advice.
Also for someone going through this rubbish - it is good for them to know they are not the only ones.

I agree 😊 .. I actually have no bad experiences with Egypt or Egyptian men !! My ex husband did not use me for visas or anything , he honestly loved me , he always remained in Egypt , he never wanted to come to the UK !! However , having children from a previous relationship proved difficult for our relationship to remain close ( my children's father would not let me leave the UK with them for longer than a few weeks at a time ) , i chose to stay in the UK for their educational needs and because of their father!! Ive just no contact with my ex husband to ask him to send me an Original divorce certificate which i require to re marry in the UK 😊

Hello All and Happy New Year!

need your help in something. I need to know how can divorce one christian egyptian family?
Can you give me some informations? What steps should i take? How long it will take? They have 3 kids, he is working, she is not. They have a big flat in one expensive area and he is planing to let all the money and the flat for the kids and wife, of course.

I read here that it might be imposible...why?

I will appreciate any answer that you can give me related to this subject.
Thanks to all!

if they both belong to the same sect or denomination (both are Orthodox, both are Catholic ...etc.), it is virtually impossible to get a divorce, and even if they do, the partner at fault will not get a permission to remarry from the church.

Yes, the Egyptian churches are still having legal authority over people in Egypt !

Why you think is imposible if the both agree....or one of them did a big mistake in front of the other, or they don't love each other..

So tell me, how can they get divorce? How can they start this? Do you have some experience in this?

I heard that the fault one can move to other religion like Orthodox to remarry in the church. Or he /she will remarry by law.
Thank you for your time, I appreciate that so much.

I do NOT think. This IS the reality, even if both are willing and in agreement, the churches in Egypt do not grant divorces, except in very few cases (adultery ...etc.) and usually the partner at-fault does not get a permission to remarry

If both belong to the same sect, it is IMPOSSIBLE.

Only way is, if one of them is willing to change sect and in such case Divorce or Khol' becomes a possibility, and again, the church might still not give one/both a permission to re-marry.

There is no "marry by law" or civil marriage in Egypt. Christians must get married by churches, Muslims must get married by Muslim Registrars, and each has to follow their own religion's rules and laws mandated by Church/Islamic law respectively.

You are the best! You brought light in my mind! All the respect for you!
Can you help me a little more please?

How it will be in case of adultery? What it will happen with the fault one?  How it will work?  The church will divorce them if they want in this case? What if he will remarry in other country where the law is different?

Thank you!

Or, what about he will decide to go abroad alone, his wife has the rights to ask the divorce?

the one at fault in an adultery case won't get a permission to remarry

If that partner marries in another country, that marriage is null and void in Egypt, and accordingly the wife is not entitled to get a visa, and children won't be recognized as legitimate children of that person or as Egyptian citizens by descent.

I eard something about that the one at fault in an adultery case can go to prison too, is it right?

if the husband is caught red-handed in the "marriage bed", or if the wife is caught red-handed anywhere, yes they can go to jail if the other spouse presses charges

Thank you for your help! Thank you so much!

:thanks:

In addition to all that have been said earlier, there are still few cases that enables them to be legally separated..

And in these cases, it's no more called Divorce (coz divorce in Christanity is only based on adultery) so in these cases they call it (Breaking the Marriage Contract) or something like that i don't really know the right terminology in English!!

These cases are depending on the following reasons:

- If one of the 2 was diagnosed as mentally disordered (He/She) knew about it and hided it before marriage!!
- If one of the 2 was diagnosed with a disease that dissable him/her of having a complete sexual relationship with the other (this can go before marriage or even profound after marriage)
- If one of the 2 spouses is being infected be a disease that can infect the other during intercourse , which of course going to be a kind of life threat ( conditioned that the other spouse can not bare this situation , He/She can plead for a legal separation)

- please let me know if any further clarification is needed.

Regards,

Thank you.
I told them... we will see what it will happen. :)