Here and moving to Swieqi

We arrived in Malta on Saturday and had a look around Mellieha, Qawra and St Pauls Bay but decided that these areas weren't for us. We then moved on to Sliema and St Julians and preferred these areas and managed to get an apartment in Swieqi which we are pretty happy about. However after having a longer look at Mellieha over the last couple of days we were surprised at some of the areas we missed and may have been somewhat hasty in discounting it all together. Swieqi is much better for my course which is in San Gwann and as for proximity to amenities, well I can't complain, we have everything we want on our doorstep realy. We move in on Saturday. So does anyone know the area at all. The main thing I would like to know is where could I buy groceries for a decent price? I have been buying bits and pieces but I think I must be going to the wrong stores.

We are interested in meeting other expats now that we are here as would love to meet others in the same boat.

Summer

Hello!

I lived in Swieqi for about 5 months in 2010. It's a great village.

Check this out: swieqiguide.webs.com

Green's is great for veggies - technically in Tal-Ibragg but probably walkable from wherever you are living.

I used to go to Corner Supermarket only for 'emergencies' (and Sundays - one of the few places that is open on Sundays in Malta) - but I did find it pricey.

Good luck and enjoy!

For fruit and veg, there is a fab farm shop opposite the 'Garden View' Complex in Sweiqi. Not sure what the road is called though. Miracle foods are pretty good for some fresh meat and frozen stuff.
You are very welcome to join us Expat Mums on a Wednesday in Playzone, Sliema at 3pm. Im not sure about the buses, but GillMC usually comes and she lives in Swieqi so would know more...maybe send her a message.

Hi Summer ,

welcome to Malta ! Now you're in Malta and I'm in Germany - ))) ..... but that's just this week and I'm flying back to Malta on Monday.

Our Expat group meets every Wednesday at Bianco's restaurant on Spinola Bay in St. Julians at 7 pm ! One of our regulars comes from Swieqi - and she walks down so it can't be too far.

Swieqi is quite large so it depends where you are. If you live close to San Gwann then you should try Lidl. Their prices are very good and best quality. They are similar to the Aldi or Lidl you might know from the UK or Germany.

I wish you a great start in Malta.
PS What course are you taking in San Gwann. I'm sure you told me in the past but I've forgotten -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Welcome to Malta Summer

Hope you settle in well and start to enjoy your new life....

You have seemed to have arrived just as the Spring has Sunshine :)

Enjoy

Julian

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and I will be sure to check out the stores that you mention. I am living in Triq-Il Marbat, just through the bridge from Bay Street Complex, so right in the heart of it really, although the street seems very quiet.

I do have a question re buying bedding and towels. I went looking in Sliema today and I couldn't find any stores that weren't UK based that sell these items. Obviously I don't want to buy them from the likes of Debenhams or Marks as they charge a small fortune as it is all imported. Is there anywhere else that I can buy sheets, pillowcases, bath sheets etc? I managed to buy a cotbed, highchair and things from Mothercare which was reasonable.

I would be very interested in coming along to both the childrens Playzone in Sliema, in fact I have already passed it several times and the expat meeting place. It would certainly be nice to meet others as we don't know anyone here.

The course I am doing in San Gwann is at The First International School for Aestheticians at Triq Salvu Gatt. I am hoping it will be close enough to walk from Swieqi.

Thanks again everyone

JB stores is pretty good for towels and sheets. The big store is in Iklin, but there is a smaller store on the main road in San Gwann. The store in Iklin is worth the journey though as some of the towels they have there are from John Lewis.
I live in San Gwann so I can show you around the shops and the main street (but I dont know where your college is!)if you like. Just send me an inbox and we can arrange something, otherwise I look forward to meeting you at Playzone.
Good luck!x

Welcome to Malta!
I agree with Damsel... JB is your choice. My wife goes there often. I will also suggest LIDL, last week they had the bath and bed items... so I saw yesterday that they still have a few left.

In case you need some furniture I'll say KREA and ATRIUM are your best options