Cost of baby furniture, essentials etc

So my family and I are coming out in 3 weeks time:D I have an 11 month old son and I have started looking at cots, highchairs etc on various websites. It seems that cotbeds are very expensive, in fact all baby furniture seems to be so now I am wondering whether I should buy a cotbed here and have it shipped with all my other things. Am I missing something, why are these things so expensive in Malta?

Hi,

you are not missing anything, in fact your are just making a typical observation about the Maltese market in general. Most things are either more expensive, much more expensive or not available.

There are really only a few things you can save money on but usually when you pay less than in the UK or Germany you get less service/quality. Examples: You don't have to pay for central heating but have to shiver during the cold months; you don't pay council tax but run the risk of breaking your leg on bad pavements/roads and falling over plastic garbage bags stacked on pavements and will find it difficult to get any other service you would normally expect from a council. Car insurance is cheaper but you could find it difficult to get them to pay up when you need it. Health costs insurance costs are low but when you need the service you might have to wait - long or pay private. A friend needs surgury for a hernia: Waiting time at state hospital is about 1 year, minimal invasive surgury is not available in Malta and would cost around 2000 € in Germany. Here the private classical surgury as outpatient is 1400€. Cheaper but ? Maybe an extreme example , maybe not?

So if you have the chance to bring the kind of things you mentioned at reasonable transport costs bring them with you. This includes computer/electronic stuff , good quality kitchen things and so on.

Look forward to seeing you here in Malta. Otherwise it really is a very nice place to live -))))

Cheers
Ricky

We are in almost identical situation as SummerRaine, and likewise I do not have high hopes for finding proper local furniture... I am thinking to use the company that takes IKEA products from Italy (Sicily?) into Malta. If you search the forum, you should find the link or maybe ricky knows it by heart.