Moving to jordan from houston, tx

hi there!!
my husband and i are moving from houston, tx to amman, jordan sometime in july or august.  my husband is a jordanian, but we are both american citizens.  we just built a house in jordan and plan on shipping household furniture to jordan.  does anyone know about the customs regulations or fees to jordan? and any tips on shipping would be appreciated.

Hi Mariapj

Import duties very much depend on what job you or your husband intend to take up in Jordan.   If you are coming with a diplomatic passport then you will not pay duty but if you are coming without there probably will be duty to pay.  I have friends who brought the contents of their home from the UK and duty was in the 000's.  Different rates apply to different items and I suggest you contact the relevant authority here or the shipping company.  One word of caution, I have heard of many stories where shipments have been tampered with both outgoing and incoming - use a reputable company - ask your Embassy staff who they would recommend.  Hope you have a successful move.

Hi there,if your husband holds a Jordanian passport you will not have to pay any customs fees if the furniture is used.I have a dual citizenship Jordanian/Austrlian and returned to Jordan and shipped my household contents and did not pay a cent.
You can email me at [email protected]
Take care