How should I be dressed?

Can anyone tell me if there is a "must" in dressing to a wedding between two Jordanian people, me being European.... I don't want to do something inappropriate... And also if there is something I should know about an event like this. Thanks everybody!!!

Hi,

I dont think there is a big difference between Jordanian and Palestinian dresses. They are almost the same, but I think you might consider wearing the red koffiya (head dress which can also be put on the shoulders), not the white/black one, because it is expressive of Jordanians. I wish you a great stay in Jordan. Please contact me if you need any help, especially with the Arabic lessons. if you are interested:) you can contact me on 0788661409 or   belal,[email protected]

wish u a great stay in Jordan.

Bilal

Sorry, but I don't think it is appropriate for a girl to wear a kaffiya to a wedding. A guy maybe, but I think it would be a bit insensitive for a foreigner to wear either. It's hard to tell who's who, i.e. Jordanians of which origin, in large mixed groups.

As to what to wear, how traditional are the families getting married? Will it be mixed, in a hotel, for instance, or traditional, with the women in one room or building and the men in another?

I didn't mentioned, I am not a girl, I am 43 and the bride is my husband's colleague... I don't know so many details about the wedding, we are both Romanians and we will go in a group with other Romanian and American people.

Hi all,

I am really glad that you raised this issue. In fact, when I said kofiyya, I meant real kofiyyah. Women do wear kofiyya in weddings. Howeve, I agree it could be a sign of insensitivity to wear red or white ones in weddings where people with a mix of cultures could be present in the ceremony... My family and I usually go to such events without paying attention to these traditions, because they have eventually melted down... As for traditions and whether men are separated from women, this all depends on the families, their social backgrounds, and the degree of religious devoutness or commitment I would say. For some families, this is not an issue, for others this is a criticcal one...

[moderated]

I still don't know what should I wear.... An elegant dress that I usually wear in my country is good?

I have a solution to this. Why dont you ask the relatives of the bride/groom on what you should wear. Tell them what will best fit the occasion. I strong recommend this. Again it depends on the social/religious background of the family. I am sorry I could not be more helpful on this, but I am sure that a caring person like you would look fabulous no matter what you wear. Go and break a leg.

Best,

Bilal

Hi Dana, what you usually wear will be good enough ..

wanna go wild and have a moment try wearing something very Jordanian or Romanian traditional,  you will be the center of attention and have some good photos to post on fb.

have a good time and pass our congrats to the couple.

Cheers

Thank you all for messages, it was a real pleasure meeting you here... To be honest, I would like to wear a Jordanian long dress, but I didn't know if it's appropriate... Finally, I think I'll go for a western-style elegant dress...
"Captain Jaw Breaker" (sorry I don't know your name), I would love to dress in Romanian traditional style, but I am not prepared, I don't have such an outfit with me... Next time, maybe.... And I sure will post photos on FB, it's an very exciting experience for me... I just love being here, in Amman!!!!!

First above all id like to say hello Danik!
its very simple thing that people are making a big mess about it.
90% of the weddings in jordan men would be in a different place than women "its a culture thing" and you would be welcome and appreciated no matter what did you dress, just take one thing in consideration be modest and dont be overdressed! and have a wonderful time!

Thank you very much, Daleelkom!!! Your advice is perfect!!! I am a little bit nervous about this event, but I am sure everything will be just fine!!!

i would be if its my first time in such a different culture's wedding, but trust me people over here are so friendly and they would make sure your comfortable and having a wonderful time!
our weddings are amazingly beautiful and i hope you enjoy this experience!! :D

In fact, I agree with Daleelkom about the friendly and wonderful Jordanian people. People here are very hospitable and generous and they are very considerate when it comes to foreigners and care much about their feelings. Again, I believe Danik will be the star of the who wedding! You should be very proud of yourself because ypu care much about others' feelings, cultures, and traditions. That is really humane!

philano79 wrote:

In fact, I agree with Daleelkom about the friendly and wonderful Jordanian people. People here are very hospitable and generous and they are very considerate when it comes to foreigners and care much about their feelings. Again, I believe Danik will be the star of the who wedding! You should be very proud of yourself because ypu care much about others' feelings, cultures, and traditions. That is really humane!

You are so right about he friendly and wonderful Jordanian people, I am here since Christmas 2010 and I feel great!!! About being a star at the wedding... I really think that's the bride's "job" :) but I'll try my best.... And yes, I do care about other people feelings and not to offend somebody, that's me!!! I will be back with my impressions about the wedding. Thank you all!!! :)

I wish you all the best with the wedding. I cannot wait to know about your impressions, but I insist that you will be the star of that ceremony! :)