What do people do when they retire in VN?

I've been planning my early retirement for a few years now and moving to VN when I retire after my dog passed away. Well, sadly, I had to say goodbye to my beloved dog yesterday. His health was failing and it was time to say goodbye. Now that he's gone, I need to decide when to give notice to my company and start the process of prepping to move to VN. My emotions are up and down with some anxiety because after living with my dog for over 14 years and only away from him maybe 5 times his entire life and now he's not around so having a little anxiety about my next chapter of my life. BTW, I'm 54 and single. I need to figure out if I want to lease my place until the interest rates go down then sell or sell now and not have to worry about my place being leased. That's something I'm going to need to discuss with my accountant and realtors.

Back to my original question. What do retired people do in VN? I don't really need to work due to the cost of living there and I don't want to start a Youtube channel because I'm somewhat of an introvert and don't like being in front of the camera. My plan was to settle in Da Nang and then travel throughout SE Asia but there will still be a lot of free time with nothing to do. I don't want to resign from my good paying career as an IT Director and move to VN to be bored and wishing I wouldn't have made the move so early. I mean I will be spending a lot of time exploring the city but can't be doing that day and night so just want to see what other retirees are doing with their time. BTW, I have a 5 year visa exemption so I will need to exit VN every 6 months. It's probably cold feet since it's so soon after my dog's passing and having to think about early retirement.

Appreciate any inputs

Hey there,

My plan is similar to yours, living in Vietnam semi retired (either Danang where I was born or Nha Trang).  I am still years away from that plan.

I lost my dog a little over 2 years ago and know how you feel.    I also work in IT (Infrastructure Engineer). 

A few things you can do :

1) Travel across SE and stay in each popular places a few months

2) Exercise to keep yourself healthy

3) Sit a the beach and do nothing, stare at the ocean and reflect life (haha)

4) Continue to read stuff online (those burn time quickly) as I am sure you still have interest in many other areas

5) Did I mention naps?  Haha.

Btw, what state are you in?  Would like to keep in touch.

TT

@qnbui

cooking, eat healthy , exercises, living healthy, learning sth new , drawing, kungfu , understand some new cultures , tons of things

share your time with me , i will show you , and keep you are busy

i was back here 2 years  ago totally happy

@qnbui

sorry for your loss

There is a huge need of English teachers in Vietnam

I volunteer every day 1 or 2 hours for a Charity NGO teaching to kids, teenagers and students.

That is a very useful way to give back to this country

Just wondering under what Visa you would qualify for? I am married to a Vietnamize women, am financially independent and I don't think I can qualify under any Visa program that I know of.

Just one thing that your realtor and accountant may not know as they have a US perspective.   There are some reasons that you  may need or want to keep a US address.   One of these is Social Security.   You have a few years to go but it's coming.  The cleanest way to go is with a US address and direct deposit to a US bank.   Otherwise you are dealing with the SS office in Manilla.   There are a multitude of posts on this subject on Expat.com.   Some expats say they have cut all US connections and like it that way, while others chose to remain connected.  At the same time you might want to check on any private pensions you may have.

Another area could be life insurance.   That may depend on the company but NY Life closed out my policy when I inadvertently let them know I was in Viet Nam.  Besides losing the policy, the payout created a tax liability for me that year.  Some, or maybe most, brokerage firms will not let you open an account from overseas but I don't know if they would cancel you.

As a homeowner, perhaps you could work out something with a rental agent to collect your snail mail and forward it to Viet Nam by FEDEX or UPS.   It will cost about $50 a pop but it could be worth it.   Over time you can probably filter out the junk and reduce the volume.

Just a few things to think about when you sit down with you advisors locally.  I hope they help.

@THIGV

Regarding the home he needs to sell.  Can he just use an address of a relatives or close friend for Social Security?  Keeping a house in the USA and living overseas come with other issues too.

...BTW, I have a 5 year visa exemption so I will need to exit VN every 6 months.     -@qnbui

Just wondering under what Visa you would qualify for? I am married to a Vietnamize women, am financially independent and I don't think I can qualify under any Visa program that I know of.
    -@tomshooter

He's talking about this:

https://vietnamconsulate-sf.org/en/2017/05/11/certificate-of-visa-exemption-for-vietnamese-and-family-members/

As the husband of a Vietnamese woman you are qualified to have her sponsor you

@qnbui:

Consider looking into this highly regarded organization here in Đà Nẵng:

"Paws for Compassion"

You can request a free 30 minute orientation at the "Dog House".

Otherwise, the most well-adjusted expat retirees I know have partnered with a Vietnamese woman.

If that's not your thing, consider getting a simple place in Đà Nẵng as home base and then travel up and down and across the country.

Ride the train or fly cheaply or hire a private driver or talk to someone else about getting a motorcycle license.

If you move to Vietnam and live on the coast but you sleep in when the sun rises, you'll miss our favorite daily activity: hitting the beach between 5 and 5:15 AM, taking a dip, walking on the sand, checking out the beach fish market on Đà Nẵng Bay, watching people your age play volleyball, etc.

Be a fresh market person and go every morning, even if you only buy a piece of fruit.

There's always a few coffee cafes in and around the market, and you'll eventually find just the right place that suits your style.

Buy a bicycle for exercise but be careful where you attempt to ride it.

Or you could get and stay drunk.

That's retirement for some poor slobs.

Send me a message when you get here and we'll meet you for coffee.

Good luck with your plans!

😌

🙏

@THIGV
Regarding the home he needs to sell.  Can he just use an address of a relatives or close friend for Social Security?  Keeping a house in the USA and living overseas come with other issues too.

-@Svho

Very true.  The only problem is that you are relying on someone's good will.   A rental agent is presumably motivated by his/her commission.

@THIGV

-@Svho

He can do that until he gets caught.

Some of us have done that for years without problems, realizing that the law requires us to report our new address after 60 days outside the U.S.

It seems a former regular member of the forum got caught when they moved from here and registered to be a resident in another country.

Somehow that triggered a report to the SSA and the former forum member was given 60 days to change their address or stop receiving benefits.

He can do that until he gets caught.

-@OceanBeach92107

Which scenario are you referring to:  using the address of friends/relatives or using the house you own but rent out?  Or both?

@Svho TT, I'm in Southern California, Los Angeles area. Now that my dog has passed and it's a real possibility, I have some anxiety but hopefully it'll pass.

@Yanick De Montréal   Yanick, I was thinking about volunteering also and that's definitely a possibility.

He can do that until he gets caught.     -@OceanBeach92107

Which scenario are you referring to:  using the address of friends/relatives or using the house you own but rent out?  Or both?

-@THIGV

Both.

The SSA regulation doesn't consider home ownership.

It's pretty simple: after 60 days outside the US, a person is supposed to report a change of address.

@THIGV  THIGV, I have thought about the US address. I will either be signing up for a local mailbox service or use my sister's address in California for snail mail and banks/credit cards if they don't accept the rental mailbox.

@OceanBeach92107 OB, when you wrote Paws for Compassion, I thought it was an in home euthanasia service because when I was searching for one, their names were similar :-). Thank you for the suggestions. I've been single for many years but hopefully will meet someone after I retire. I know the Asian culture is to pressure to marry or be with someone and they will ask if you're married or have a girlfriend all the time. I'm not an early riser but I know VNese do wake up early to beat the heat from the sun. That's something I'm going to have to get used to when I'm there. Exercise is important to me even if it's just walking which I plan to do a lot in VN. I would walk my dog 2-3 miles a day almost everyday up until when he wasn't able to walk anymore. After he wasn't able to walk, I bought a pull wagon and pulled him for about 2 miles almost everyday until yesterday when he passed. I will definitely hit you up once I move to Da Nang.

@Svho TT, I'm in Southern California, Los Angeles area. Now that my dog has passed and it's a real possibility, I have some anxiety but hopefully it'll pass.        -@qnbui

I am also in Southern Calif.   I will send you a pm.

Talking about dog, I had to put my frenchie down.  Broke my heart.  I kept his ashes for over a year and finally spread it in the ocean.

TT

I read somewhere a few years ago that the state you are living as a retired person will have an effect on your taxes.  So plan ahead *cough cough *

For anyone considering living and retiring in Vietnam when receiving Social Securiny please go to the SSA website and get the offical information. Some of the information posted previousy is not currently correct.

@OceanBeach92107

OB...I've lived outside the US since 2003...I've never had to report to anyone about where I was outside the US; Never.  I've been receiving my social security check since 2014.  I used the the Consulate in Saigon for the address and signed each month and never had a problem with receiving the check in my bank back in the US.  My social security and military retirement both go to the same bank each month and both know my 'residence' is here in DaNang.  I have not had a residence in the US since 2003, nor a phone number for such.  I also had no problems receiving my new Passport back in November from the Saigon Consulate.  Adding....I also make it a point to personally contact the Penn State Social Security every two or three years and verify with them and have told the Manila staff to 'stick it'.  Also, with the acknowledgement from Penn State office.  I mail my annual form to the wilkes-barre office.

@OceanBeach92107OB...I've lived outside the US since 2003...I've never had to report to anyone about where I was outside the US; Never.  I've been receiving my social security check since 2014.  I used the the Consulate in Saigon for the address and signed each month and never had a problem with receiving the check in my bank back in the US.  My social security and military retirement both go to the same bank each month and both know my 'residence' is here in DaNang.  I have not had a residence in the US since 2003, nor a phone number for such.  I also had no problems receiving my new Passport back in November from the Saigon Consulate.  Adding....I also make it a point to personally contact the Penn State Social Security every two or three years and verify with them and have told the Manila staff to 'stick it'.  Also, with the acknowledgement from Penn State office.  I mail my annual form to the wilkes-barre office.         -@Anthony Stephen

are you going to go through this whole thing again (as with your previous posts) just to basically prove exactly what I'm saying?

you talked about this at length before and basically you're just confirming that you have official contact with the social security administration through that Pennsylvania office and that's how they know that you are living outside the United states.

yet at the very start of your rant you say that you've never had to report to anyone ever.

you just contradict yourself every time you jump into one of these conversations, so some of what you write ends up giving bad information to people until they read everything you've written and then they see that you don't even know what you're talking about.

it's totally fine to go to the route that you do instead of going through the Manila office, because the Manila office only processes paperwork that ultimately has to be able to be approved by the Pennsylvania office.

also, what did you think you were doing when you signed for your check at the embassy or consulate?

that was you physically appearing and signing for your check to affirm that you are alive and well and living outside the USA within the jurisdiction of that government office

so good for you that you are legally reporting your status while you are outside the United States and thus continuing to receive your benefits.

@OceanBeach92107

You are correct in that point about reporting to the Consulate and to the Penn Office...I should have stated "Prior to collecting Social Security...never had to state where I was living..."  My apologizes for the 'rant'.

When anyone retires no matter what country, you eat, drink, relax and enjoy life. So, it's not the country you retire in but your lifestyle you want.

I have been coming to Vietnam for the past 10+ years and this year will be my first time spending the whole winter - Nov - Apr. I have spent months at a time in both Hanoi and Saigon and, like anywhere, there are days that fly by seamlessly and others that drag on endlessly. It's rather cliche' to say...but "it is what you make it".

There are many expats in Vietnam and I know of several groups that congregate for volunteer work and to help out with various charities, etc. I have not participated at this point but it is definitely something I intend to look at in Hanoi this winter. It's a great opportunity to do some good and give back to the community and also a great way to meet fellow expats from all over the world. That's exciting.

As someone already mentioned...it can become rather mundane to wake every morning and spend the whole day, or whole week without an real purpose. The temperatures (especially in the south) often prohibit us from wandering the streets from mid-morning until at least late afternoon or early evening. This has been the times that I have usually found harder to occupy my time...without sleeping that is. Early morning recreation...whether walking or availing of a gym or pool is a great routine. Early evening is always a great time to meet up with others for a beer, dinner and a few laughs. Also a great time to roam and feel the energy of the city. Very early morning is quite an experience as well. Walking the streets or the beach if one is accessible, or riding a bike while the city awakens is very nice. Depending on how early...it can easily compliment (or justify) an afternoon siesta. Variety is key and to have that one will needs to plan. Otherwise, you can easily fall into a rut where you are simply existing. It has happened to all of us at one time or another. Prevention is key.

Thanks to redislandar for bringing us back on topic and my apologies to all for even mentioning Social Security and setting off a mini firestorm. 1f62b.svg I did learn though that you can avoid Manilla and simply show up in Hanoi or HCMC monthly.  It's probably a bit inconvenient for those living in the center of the country but it is doable.  Maybe as relations continue to improve (ironically thanks to China) and VN banking and death notifications continue to improve, Vietnam can be added to the rather short list of nations that can take SS direct deposits.

My only addition to redislander's excellent observations on midday heat is that unlike residents of HCMC, qnbui residing in Da Nang will have the option of a refreshing daily dip in the ocean.  1f603.svg1f44d.svg

@redislandar Thank you for your input!

Thanks to redislandar for bringing us back on topic and my apologies to all for even mentioning Social Security and setting off a mini firestorm. 1f62b.svg I did learn though that you can avoid Manilla and simply show up in Hanoi or HCMC monthly.  It's probably a bit inconvenient for those living in the center of the country but it is doable.  Maybe as relations continue to improve (ironically thanks to China) and VN banking and death notifications continue to improve, Vietnam can be added to the rather short list of nations that can take SS direct deposits.My only addition to redislander's excellent observations on midday heat is that unlike residents of HCMC, qnbui residing in Da Nang will have the option of a refreshing daily dip in the ocean.  1f603.svg1f44d.svg-@THIGV

there is no longer any way to pick up a paper check at the US embassy or consulate.

also Vietnam is on the quite lengthy list of countries where direct deposit is allowed, but that opens up a whole can of worms of what you have to do to establish a bank account here.

there's a really huge thread on US benefits direct deposits dating back to early 2018

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=761380

So the US has come to trust the VN banking system with our direct deposit but still can't trust the government to tell when we die.   Kind of ironic for a system that tries to keep track of every one of it's citizens by putting them in books and demanding that foreigners must register with the local police. 1f644.svg But the weakness of the system is that its all written down by hand.  Perhaps once they are fully computerised they can include non-citizens and hospitals can tell them when we die and the government can notify the consulate.  1f602.svg1f62b.svg1f625.svg

So the US has come to trust the VN banking system with our direct deposit but still can't trust the government to tell when we die.   Kind of ironic for a system that tries to keep track of every one of it's citizens by putting them in books and demanding that foreigners must register with the local police. 1f644.svg But the weakness of the system is that its all written down by hand.  Perhaps once they are fully computerised they can include non-citizens and hospitals can tell them when we die and the government can notify the consulate.  1f602.svg1f62b.svg1f625.svg

-@THIGV

& thats why I have contracted to pay a lawyer to handle everything if & when I die in Vietnam. Its actually a complicated procedure to see it through to the end. For example there is a difference in paperwork between dying in a hospital & dying in your home.

...BTW, I have a 5 year visa exemption so I will need to exit VN every 6 months.     -@qnbui

Just wondering under what Visa you would qualify for? I am married to a Vietnamize women, am financially independent and I don't think I can qualify under any Visa program that I know of.    -@tomshooter

He's talking about this:

https://vietnamconsulate-sf.org/en/2017/05/11/certificate-of-visa-exemption-for-vietnamese-and-family-members/

As the husband of a Vietnamese woman you are qualified to have her sponsor you

-@OceanBeach92107

but he said he is single......right?

@OceanBeach92107 OB, when you wrote Paws for Compassion, I thought it was an in home euthanasia service because when I was searching for one, their names were similar :-). Thank you for the suggestions. I've been single for many years but hopefully will meet someone after I retire. I know the Asian culture is to pressure to marry or be with someone and they will ask if you're married or have a girlfriend all the time. I'm not an early riser but I know VNese do wake up early to beat the heat from the sun. That's something I'm going to have to get used to when I'm there. Exercise is important to me even if it's just walking which I plan to do a lot in VN. I would walk my dog 2-3 miles a day almost everyday up until when he wasn't able to walk anymore. After he wasn't able to walk, I bought a pull wagon and pulled him for about 2 miles almost everyday until yesterday when he passed. I will definitely hit you up once I move to Da Nang.

-@qnbui

Sorry to hear about your dog mate been through that grief a couple of times back in UK & once here in Vietnam too.

As for retirement........ I have lived in Vietnam since 2008 & been retired & living here since 2015 & I can honestly say I have never had a dull moment & every day is an adventure.

My take for what its worth

1............The top priority is to be mobile & if you have motorbike riding experience the better as it opens up a whole new world to explore here. I ride my bikes x 2 here every day even if its just down the road to the market. It also opens up all sorts of introductions to ladies here (my vintage Mobylette) is an absolute lady puller & conversation piece.

2.........Stay clear of ex pat bars & expat dating agencies.

3.........Get yourself a nice place to live out with the usual ex pat enclaves, put yourself out & you will easily make Vietnamese friends (especially ladies or even boys if thats how you swing)

4.........Stay off the drink!

5.........Dont even worry if you dont speak Vietnamese its not a draw back like some will make out. Most Vietnamese I meet are more than happy to speak or try to speak English & some only want that I speak English to them.

My average day & life sort of goes like this...............wake up 5am get showered & go for a walk round the park with a couple of Vietnamese friends. Come back to apartment & Ms My will have breakfast ready. Ms My will then give me a full work face over & massage (every day believe me) & then will go off to work at about 7.30 & then I will get caught up with the news back home. About 8.30 off down the open market to get the groceries (but really to have a laugh with the ladies there) 9.30 meet some Vietnamese friends or new friends for coffee (a must here in Vietnam)

Some days make lunch but every other day I will just head off on one of my bikes & just wonder, stop some where for coffee or cold drink & have lunch at a street eating place & just people watch or watch life in general.

Ms My gets back from work at about 7 & we have a light dinner together & off to bed about 9pm. I still have a Schwab trading account so will do some trades but not a lot these days as I have ran the account right down but tend to log in at about 8.30 to 9 just to keep my hand in.

We have regular short break holidays either in or out of Vietnam & before Covid went on multiple motorbike holidays here & spend at least 4 breaks per year at Tuyen Lam Lake Da Lat but now just get a flight rather than the long bike runs. Vietjet does flights to Da Lat & all over Vietnam or SEA for usually under120usd return (last time we flew to Chang Mai for under 75usd return for example) so you can just go anywhere really if you feel like it.

Then of course there are the visa runs (since Covid every month but recently back to 3 months like it used to be) & I do them through an organised Visa Agent run to Moc Bai & thats about the only time I meet fellow ex pats.

Well thats about it for me but forgot to mention to get a good internet connection & TV combo with English channels, I have FPT & like it but there are many others.

@goodolboy

I agree with everything you said except point 4, why stay off the drink?

Just wondering under what Visa you would qualify for? I am married to a Vietnamize women, am financially independent and I don't think I can qualify under any Visa program that I know of.    -@tomshooter

He's talking about this:https://vietnamconsulate-sf.org/en/2017/05/11/certificate-of-visa-exemption-for-vietnamese-and-family-members/As the husband of a Vietnamese woman you are qualified to have her sponsor you        -@OceanBeach92107

but he said he is single......right?
    -@goodolboy 

Read again, in context please (quotes keep getting messed up):

@qnbui (single) qualifies for the 5 Year VEC program due to Vietnamese heritage.

@tomshooter says he's married to a Vietnamese woman, so I was responding to him that he also qualifies due to marital status.

1f602.svg1f923.svg1f60e.svg
    @goodolboy
I agree with everything you said except point 4, why stay off the drink?

-@cougarcar20

@redislandar

volunteering is a super idea to make new friend with locals outside of the expat commu.

@brianAFSER73

I had written on a different thread,

'I believe the process in acquiring a DN1 Volunteer Visa is even a bit more complicated than the Working Visa, in that the Volunteer Visa requires not only the approval of VN immigration, but also of the local community authority in the area/region where the volunteering will be offered.

I could be wrong on this, and if so I am open to being corrected.'

Also, and although the thread on "Teaching Pro Bono Publico, Pro Gratis, or Privately (one on one) " (Link) was specific to teaching, my guess is that "volunteering" in any field, in any capacity, would require approval.

If true, and if the approval process proves daunting or unobtainable, there sure are plenty of other distractions in VN to keep a newly minted expat from being overcome with boredom.

@THIGV thanks mate! I recognize a tangent when I see one lol, and I am guilty as charged for running down that rabbit hole on far too many occasions. I am on a mission to keep my BP at 120/80 lol

There are so many good topics on this site and I enjoy the insights of others even if they may be adverse to my own take on things. I know you concur that the key is to be respectful of one another and agree to disagree at times.

Another point I would like to add to this topic is that I have met many expat retirees in Vietnam who are asking themselves the same question: How do I occupy my time in a way that makes my days more enjoyable and productive? It is quite possible that the guy/gal sitting next to you at the cafe' is wondering what they will do with the rest of their day. Conversation is crucial...don't ever assume that the person next to you is not interested in talking. A simple hello or good morning can change your day, change your life even... One thing leads to another and before you know it you are planning excursions with others. Btw, befriending a local Vietnamese person (or family) can be amazingly rewarding...to you and to them. There are so many good people in Vietnam just waiting for an opportunity to make you feel needed and wanted in their country. I speak from experience.

@OceanBeach92107

So, after 60 *days* outside the US, your foreign address *stops* SS benefits?

I know US citizens living in South America and Cenral America. They continue to get SS direct-deposited into US bank and have relatives that "hold" their US address. Um, is that fraud?

Asking for a friend.

@OceanBeach92107
So, after 60 *days* outside the US, your foreign address *stops* SS benefits?

I know US citizens living in South America and Cenral America. They continue to get SS direct-deposited into US bank and have relatives that "hold" their US address. Um, is that fraud?

Asking for a friend.

-@Lennerd

Your foreign address doesn't "stop" Social Security payments.

It's your failure to report your new address that stops your payments until you update your foreign address with the Social Security Administration.

It sounds as if your friend may be on "extended travels"...