Relocating to Oslo

Hello everyone,

I'm from Sri Lanka. I received a job offer from a major software company in Oslo Norway, and is planning to relocate with my wife. The salary I got offered is 650,000 NOK per annum, bonus, and other benefits. Appreciate if you guys can answer few questions I have,

1. Salary I'm getting, is this sufficient to have a moderate life and save for the future :) (we don't drink and smoke) ?

2. My wife is also getting work permit processed by my employer. But she would have to find a job after coming to Norway. She is an accountant. What is the job market in finance sector and how hard is it to get a job for an expat?

3. If it is difficult to find a job for my wife she is planning to start her M.Sc. Can she get a student loan when she has entered the country on work permit ?

4. What are the tax rate? If I'm the only one doing the job, is the tax percentage different for us?

4. As part of the relocation package I get both air (standard "D" container) and sea cargo (20 feet container) to send house hold items from Sri Lanka to Norway ? What would be the best to ship apart from clothes (I'm not planning to ship any furniture since I would be renting a fully furnished apartment) ?

Thanks,

Charitha.

Hello Charitha and welcome to Expat.com!

Have you gone through the different posts of the forum? This may be useful to you.

I hope that other members will advise you soon.

Harmonie.:)

Hi

I am Lalith working for Norwegian Company here in Sri Lanka and I am visiting Norway as company request time to time

You Ask

1. Salary I'm getting, is this sufficient to have a moderate life and save for the future smile (we don't drink and smoke) ?

Yes Indeed Your salary is good one  to enjoy in Norway and you can save some

2. My wife is also getting work permit processed by my employer. But she would have to find a job after coming to Norway. She is an accountant. What is the job market in finance sector and how hard is it to get a job for an expat?
It depend on companies and Experience I know there are lot of Accounting Companies in Oslo

3. If it is difficult to find a job for my wife she is planning to start her M.Sc. Can she get a student loan when she has entered the country on work permit ?

If she has work permit i think she will be able to find a job

4. What are the tax rate? If I'm the only one doing the job, is the tax percentage different for us?
It differs according to your position i Think . it's normally around 32-36% of your salary. As your a expat you will get 10% tax deduction every year! you'll get a tax claim form around April each year, and there, you can apply for this deduction.

4. As part of the relocation package I get both air (standard "D" container) and sea cargo (20 feet container) to send house hold items from Sri Lanka to Norway ? What would be the best to ship apart from clothes (I'm not planning to ship any furniture since I would be renting a fully furnished apartment) ?

In this case i cant help bcos i dont know about this. I am telling you you think about this after you find a place in Oslo normally you can find fully furnished apartment

you can find some more info from these forum links
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=84605https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=103215 

If you need any help send me a message i will help you if i can

Lalith