Daily commute from Drammen or rent in Asker

Hi all,

Can I get some opinions on some questions that I have. I have researched about it but can't seem to find answers online.

If my office is in Asker, is it feasible to stay in Drammen or any other nearby towns? I could always rent a one-bed / studio but would prefer to live in shared housing so that I have friends. Since the rental market in Norway seems to be quite small, which towns would I have more options to rent in and still be able to commute to Asker for work. 

I am originally from Pakistan, so any areas around the Asker area with more Indian/Pakistani community that you may point me to?

Also if I commute from Asker to Drammen everyday, is there a sort of monthly pass available? Or would it be the same NOK54 for every trip? I looked on the NSB website and couldn't find such an option.

Cheer everyone.

Joji

Hey,

If you live close to the station and work close to it you can commute. There are many people commuting up to Oslo from Drammen. You can get a monthly ticket (månedskort) to travel between the two. Price is 1114 Kr. I don't know for the areas where there are more pakistani / indians though

Dear AuNorDuMonde,

Thanks for the input. Specially for mentioning the price as it was something I couldn't find on the website.

Are the price differences between Asker and Drammen significant enough to warrant living in Drammen? Or is Drammen a livelier/bigger place than Asker?

AuNordDuMonde wrote:

Hey,

If you live close to the station and work close to it you can commute. There are many people commuting up to Oslo from Drammen. You can get a monthly ticket (månedskort) to travel between the two. Price is 1114 Kr. I don't know for the areas where there are more pakistani / indians though

I guess Drammen remains cheaper than Asker but already Asker is less expensive than Oslo. The further away the cheaper it gets. After it comes more to what you will find as an accomodation, prices change a lot also by area inside these two communities.

I'm living in Drammen and based on the number of restaurants here, and availability of Indian ingredients in grocery stores, it seems there must be quite a few Indian/Pakistanis (my landlady's Indian too). I've never been to Asker but Drammen's lively enough IMO. Granted, I've been living in Iceland for years so the bar is quite low when it comes to liveliness expectations. Depends on what you're looking for though, I suppose. I didn't move to Norway for the jammin' nightlife.

Joji; I recommend you find accommodation via this site;

http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/lett … it/browse1

It is a direct link for shared accommodation with 1 or 2 more people - just go to "Oslo".

You can also try this link for flats/apartments to rent;

http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/lettings/browse1

You can choose accommodation in Drammen, Asker or Oslo. Remember that Asker is close to Oslo, it is almost like a surburb , whereas Drammen is about up to 40 mins from Oslo - Asker in on the same train line.

Sorry Drammen is 30 mins from Oslo

Dear AuNordDuMonde, ECS and new_in_norway.

Many many thanks for the very helpful inputs. My employer will arrange for the accommodation during the first month so that I can look for a place in the mean time. I wanted to do my homework before flying off.

These inputs have been very helpful. I have been to Norway before and traveled to Asker from Oslo S so I have a small idea of what it would be like to stay in Drammen and work in Asker.

It was good news that Indian grocery and restaurants are available in Drammen :D I guess it will help me to keep the transition a bit more smoother.

@new_in_norway: I have been looking on Finn.no for a couple of weeks now to get an idea about the accommodation options available. Can I ask another question: What do landlords mean by 'bedsit'? I can't figure it out so far... :)

bedsit is an English term for a studio apartment, that is where your BEDroom and your SITting room are the same. No separate bedroom.