REGISTER VIETNAMESE PHONE NUMBER WITH PHOTO I.D.

Sitting having morning coffee as usual with some Vietnamese friends & two of them were working together on their phones taking like selfies. Now this being something I very rarely see them doing I was curious to understand what they were doing so asked the question. Oh they said we are registering our phone numbers with photo ID & its a government requirement & if you don't do it your phone number will be cut off. Something about trying to counter scammers which it seems is getting out of control here. Immediately called Ms My about it & oh yes honey I did it already but forget to tell you about it. So heading down Mobi office with PP this afternoon & just hope I am not too late. My Vietnamese number is linked to all sorts of banking & investments for OTP etc & would be a right carry on without it!!

Oh well just Googled it & seems to be a law going as far back as 2017 so I must be having a senior moment & suppose I must have had it done already, just cant remember. Old age is a curse!!

@goodolboy So when I got my Mobi number they took a photo of me and scanned my passport. Is it possible that Mobi now does this automatically or something you have to do yourself?

Well, the vietnamese policy is to register your pic on "activation" of your SIM-card. That is not for every friend you enlist in your contact list.

This may not be the best of securities, but it's a good try looking for extra securities ensuring you are the person in the passport/citizenID. 

Unfortunately because Vietnamese love to chose the most nice phone number.- Vietnam use to recycle unused numbers very quick, so to have a record of your face may not help for your daily claims, but very useful to protect yourself in case of any report at the police.   

if the phone company does it this way when your sim is purchased then there's no further action needed.

But if a sim is bought on the street from someone who doesn't do this for you or who registers it in their own name, it's time to register it in your own name at the phone company where they will also take the photo.

Sitting having morning coffee as usual with some Vietnamese friends & two of them were working together on their phones taking like selfies. Now this being something I very rarely see them doing I was curious to understand what they were doing so asked the question. Oh they said we are registering our phone numbers with photo ID & its a government requirement & if you don't do it your phone number will be cut off. Something about trying to counter scammers which it seems is getting out of control here. Immediately called Ms My about it & oh yes honey I did it already but forget to tell you about it. So heading down Mobi office with PP this afternoon & just hope I am not too late. My Vietnamese number is linked to all sorts of banking & investments for OTP etc & would be a right carry on without it!!
Oh well just Googled it & seems to be a law going as far back as 2017 so I must be having a senior moment & suppose I must have had it done already, just cant remember. Old age is a curse!!
-@goodolboy

Was going to go down Mobi office this afternoon but it came lashing it down with rain so gave it a miss. However it gave me time to think & considering it was at least 6 years + since I got my sim card & number I vaguely remember having to show my passport but never got a photo taken for sure & the passport  would have been an old one for sure so off down tomorrow & all will be revealed!

Job done................went to the Mobi Customer Service place on Nguyen Van Qua this morning, all details updated incl latest Passport details, photo ID taken, downloaded Mobi App &  Bobs yer Uncle, took 10 minutes max, now I can sleep easy.

They keep your photo for facial recognition. even if you no longer use the phone service. They can track you on CCTV cameras.

Isn't anything to keep away the scammers! Is about taking control on everyone! The Big Brother, but not that entertainment show... that was a new step in seeing and monitoring small groups of people reactions! Isn't anything for your safety, is everything for THEIR safety! Doesn't exist government to care about their people! And by the way... your story came late... This "must do" were started in March with many phone numbers blocked already at beginning of April! If your number weren't blocked until 2 weeks ago, you was very lucky! Even I had my phone number since 2020, bought in the phone company, registered with picture and ID copy, taken by them... I needed to go at beginning of April to renew the registration! So... just keep open your eyes for the next step guys!

Isn't anything to keep away the scammers! Is about taking control on everyone! The Big Brother, but not that entertainment show... that was a new step in seeing and monitoring small groups of people reactions! Isn't anything for your safety, is everything for THEIR safety! Doesn't exist government to care about their people!
-@sorind72

Much more likely (based on everything I learned) is that Vietnam had been having great difficulty being fully validated through  international business transactions as long as their phone system was so rife with scammers.

Also, the US Internal Revenue Service has been having Vietnam verify the tax status USA passport holders opening bank accounts here.

There are prices to be paid to legitimize the participation of Vietnam in international financial circles, and it appears that Vietnam has begun doing the necessary things required.

@sorind72 I am sure similar to China where they track which websites you visit and come arrest you if you speak against the CCP.

A couple of years ago I had an issue with my Mobifone service in that I stopped receiving international SMS (the issue was bank related OTP required to login online).

They noticed that my SIM was registered to a Vietnamese person and insisted that it was updated with my photo and Passport details....which I did.

This is common practice in most countries worldwide.

However, I bought the SIM from a small street mobile shop and the SIM was already all registered to the shop assistant / owner, so that it was ready to insert and use after a top-up of credit.

Now, I'm receiving messages from Zalo about going through a verification process. Step 1 is to upload a photo of my Passport Bio page.....it continuously fails and there is no support channel (that I can find anyway).

My latest message from Zalo is that my account will be closed (but they never indicated when?!?)

A couple of years ago I had an issue with my Mobifone service in that I stopped receiving international SMS (the issue was bank related OTP required to login online).
They noticed that my SIM was registered to a Vietnamese person and insisted that it was updated with my photo and Passport details....which I did.
This is common practice in most countries worldwide.
However, I bought the SIM from a small street mobile shop and the SIM was already all registered to the shop assistant / owner, so that it was ready to insert and use after a top-up of credit.
Now, I'm receiving messages from Zalo about going through a verification process. Step 1 is to upload a photo of my Passport Bio page.....it continuously fails and there is no support channel (that I can find anyway).
My latest message from Zalo is that my account will be closed (but they never indicated when?!?)
-@QPR_FC

Instead of uploading a photo, make sure you have a lot of natural, indirect light (to avoid any glare on your ID) and instead use the option to scan your ID.

Also make sure you are connected directly to local wifi or data in Vietnam without an active VPN.

Hope that helps