Sending stuff from UK to Vietnam - what's allowed / verboten

Hi there - first post.

I am looking for advice on sending items from the UK to Vietnam.

I have a friend in Phan Ran province.

I would like to send them a box containing some items from the UK.

These include tea towels / key rings / slippers / socks - not expensive - tourist items from Scotland.

I would also like to send some skin products - moisturiser / face cream and shampoos.

My friend would also like a book in English about science.

Finally, I would like to include some British sweets / candy.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if these items will be permitted to pass through Vietnamese border agency checks?

I would declare the items on the customs declaration form and the total value is around £50.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Best regards from (near) Edinburgh.

I just had a box intercepted by Viet Customs, their problem was I put on customs form a value of $300.  The limit, unknown to me, is $100.  Never occured to me.  Customs officer called my wife in the Delta, and wanted to know what was in the box - school supplies, vitamins, acne cream, coloring pencil/marker sets and a few coloring books.   I sent the customs form to her and after a few more phone calls for my wife to come to Saigon to claim (which she refused) Customs lady said they would just send it back to me - a month ago, still hasn't shown up, and probably never will - but of course, Customs paperwork will reflect it was returned to sender.  In almost 15 years, this is the first time this has ever happened to me.......my wife thinks the Customs lady was fishing for a Tet Lucky Money envelope.  Moral of the story, limit your amount on customs form to less than $100.,  UNLESS, the person you are sending it too is a Company, or business address, then you are allowed $250...........Chuc Mun Nam Oi

@redgranite Give my regards to Princess Street, did a couple of bar crawls there - I once went to the Castle for the 'Tatoo' when I was in US Army on vacation in Scotland...........remember every minute of it and that was in 1990.

I just had a box intercepted by Viet Customs, their problem was I put on customs form a value of $300. The limit, unknown to me, is $100. Never occured to me. Customs officer called my wife in the Delta, and wanted to know what was in the box - school supplies, vitamins, acne cream, coloring pencil/marker sets and a few coloring books.  I sent the customs form to her and after a few more phone calls for my wife to come to Saigon to claim (which she refused) Customs lady said they would just send it back to me - a month ago, still hasn't shown up, and probably never will - but of course, Customs paperwork will reflect it was returned to sender. In almost 15 years, this is the first time this has ever happened to me.......my wife thinks the Customs lady was fishing for a Tet Lucky Money envelope. Moral of the story, limit your amount on customs form to less than $100., UNLESS, the person you are sending it too is a Company, or business address, then you are allowed $250...........Chuc Mun Nam Oi
-@tunnelrat69

one thing I've seen recommended by more than one person: unless you seriously think that you can collect insurance on a shipment to Vietnam and the thing you are shipping is so valuable that you need the insurance, it's better to declare zero insurance value.

based on anecdotal reports, that's the best way to avoid excessive duty fees or hold up, because customs will use the insured declared value to establish what duty needs to be paid.

I'm also for the first time using a Vietnamese shipper out of San Diego California and trying out their Network to get something over here. I'll update after the first of February when I expect the package.

one thing I've seen recommended by more than one person: unless you seriously think that you can collect insurance on a shipment to Vietnam and the thing you are shipping is so valuable that you need the insurance, it's better to declare zero insurance value.

Canada Post will not insure a package destined for VN.

I wonder why? /s

based on anecdotal reports, that's the best way to avoid excessive duty fees or hold up, because customs will use the insured declared value to establish what duty needs to be paid.

I've always asked the sender to keep it down to around $50. My fear is that by declaring $0 value, a customs officer will be obliged to open the package for inspection. I've yet to have to pay any duties.

I'm also for the first time using a Vietnamese shipper out of San Diego California and trying out their Network to get something over here. I'll update after the first of February when I expect the package.
-@OceanBeach92107

I'm hearing more and more good reports about the VN "Underground Postal Railroad". Yes, OB, please let us know how it works out for you! This service is apparently widely available in Canada too, though I've yet to try it.

I'm also for the first time using a Vietnamese shipper out of San Diego California and trying out their Network to get something over here. I'll update after the first of February when I expect the package.-@OceanBeach92107
I'm hearing more and more good reports about the VN "Underground Postal Railroad". Yes, OB, please let us know how it works out for you! This service is apparently widely available in Canada too, though I've yet to try it.-@Aidan in HCMC

As an aside, I seem to recall pre-Covid reading someone saying that "many" Vietnamese people (mostly Việt Kiều I think) finance most or all of their transportation costs between the U.S. & Vietnam by paying for the excess accompanied baggage (shipping boxes) seen being checked onto flights.

The items inside are either sold for profit in Vietnam OR (once clearing airport customs) shipped to the final destination here for a good handling fee.

On my last flight in from SFO to SGN it seemed everyone had at least one of those boxes in addition to standard baggage, while many people were bringing one or two carts full of those containers.

@OceanBeach92107 possibly some of the checked in items are for resale? The other side is good hearted Việt kieu traveling to Vietnam most often pack in goodies for friends and family and provide a service. Including such a simple item my wife's daughter recently packed in her checked in luggage. A replacement laptop key cap customs deemed as an electronic part and twice tossed my online order into their circular file. On the flip side I purchase an online laptop replacement fan, keyboard, and speakers. No problem. Go figure!!

The other way to do it is go onto Facebook and join this ...https://m.facebook.com/groups/369434370099952/

Its a group about people who are travelling to and from Viet Nam.

@tunnelrat69 Thank you - helpful advice.

@tunnelrat69 Thanks TR. Edinburgh Castle puts on an amazing show for the annual military tattoo - been a few times myself. 🏰

Plenty good bars in the city centre - no doubt your pub crawl took you to the Royal Mile. 🍻

Visiting military are often lodged at the army's Dreghorn or Redford barracks.

All the best.

@OceanBeach92107 Thanks.

@colinoscapee Thanks - will check this out.