When is tet

Stupid question maybe but google and other sources  produce about 6 different answers.  I think i come into hannoi on the 1st/2nd of feb will i of missed it?

many thanks

coop

Stupid question maybe but google and other sources produce about 6 different answers. I think i come into hannoi on the 1st/2nd of feb will i of missed it?
many thanks
coop
-@cooper1203

Google calendar add holidays in Vietnam,,, will show - 20th - 26th Jan although many businesses have let staff go early as no business going on, many also come back late so depends on the business.

Stupid question maybe but google and other sources produce about 6 different answers. I think i come into hannoi on the 1st/2nd of feb will i of missed it?
many thanks
coop
-@cooper1203

Yes, you will have missed it. Tết this year is Sunday, 22 January

98EpIkbEsTvnV.jpg!w700wp

Besides the differences from year to year, there can be date differences between Chinese and Vietnamese New year which are caused by the difference in longitude between Hanoi and Beijing. Beijing is about about 11° farther East.  This year they are the same date but not every year..  For Korea, the longitudinal difference about the same but with Seoul being further East. Historically the dates were a source of fairly serious friction between the Joseon and Ming court astrologers as Korea was forced to follow the Chinese dates even it they were not truly the correct dates for their location.  I don't know if the Vietnamese dynasties complained to Ming or not..

Chúc

Mừng

Năm

Mới!

🐅🐅🐅

didn't you mean Chúc Mừng Năm Mới!

https://i.postimg.cc/3R3Y90cC/tiger-brands-210521-ver5-1.png

https://i.postimg.cc/j2XXNmJ4/independence-brewing-white-rabbit-can.jpg

I can see why they went with year of the cat instead haha

Finally completed the Tết decorations to go with the special flowers at our house in Hội An... 😁 😉🤪

Chúc Mừng Năm Mới everybody!🥳

inshot_20230122_124827957.jpg

Besides the differences from year to year, there can be date differences between Chinese and Vietnamese New year which are caused by the difference in longitude between Hanoi and Beijing. Beijing is about about 11° farther East. This year they are the same date but not every year.. -@THIGV

Also, not good form to wish a Vietnamese person a happy Year of The Hare (Chinese) during the Year of The Cat (Vietnamese)

To get into the whole Tet thing, we ate fried rabbit for dinner.

... the bus and the tourists are gone

And you've thrown away your choice and lost your ticket

definitely worth a (re?)listen

To get into the whole Tet thing, we ate fried rabbit for dinner.
-@colinoscapee

inshot_20230123_085849694.jpg

Slide3.JPG

Just back in from a long morning run on the old Mobylette, TET can go on for ever for me, 50% of the market stalls open, most coffee shops open, AEON Mall open, just 80% less traffic, life is good!

Just back in from a long morning run on the old Mobylette, TET can go on for ever for me, 50% of the market stalls open, most coffee shops open, AEON Mall open, just 80% less traffic, life is good!
-@goodolboy

...except for the 300% more karaoke.

-@goodolboy

Yeah was in Saigon for the week-end but back in Cần Thơ today and I'd say 90% of everything is closed. Was lucky enough to find a small booth for some pressed juice. At least tomorrow Go, Mega Market and Lotte Mart will reopen here which would be a life saver if I didn't have my Tet bunker reserves at home 1f600.svg

Yeah was in Saigon for the week-end but back in Cần Thơ today and I'd say 90% of everything is closed. Was lucky enough to find a small booth for some pressed juice. At least tomorrow Go, Mega Market and Lotte Mart will reopen here which would be a life saver if I didn't have my Tet bunker reserves at home 1f600.svg
-@WillyBaldy

Wet market here is going strong. About 50% of the vendors are open, prices weren't jacked, and plenty of fresh meats/veggies/fruits.

I'm a big fan of the market, and have my regular go-to vendors who now know me well.

-@goodolboy

...except for the 300% more karaoke.
-@Aidan in HCMC

No mate, have not heard any karaoke out here, the place is deserted! except for the celadon gardens they are heaving with crumpet & would be super models taking selfies!! its open season for hotties coming in from outside past the security guards who are in holiday mode playing cards etc.

Slide3.JPG
-@Aidan in HCMC

inshot_20230123_200127323.jpg

@Aidan in HCMC slightly sliding off the main topic…I also like the wet markets, always exciting social interaction along with the always freshest veggies available. One memorable experience when living in Saigon. I'd filled my stainless bowl with okra and waiting to be weighed. While waiting an old lady took my bowl, dumped it out then refilled it with fresher dau bap followed by a nonverbal ‘how to select the freshest dau bap training.' Another example of just how special living in Vietnam can be.

Moderated by Mickael last year
Reason : Be careful not to stray from the main topic.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@OceanBeach92107 there goes your chance as a member of the diplomatic team. Beer's still running out my nose from laughing.