Quiet coastal town in VN?

Is there any quiet coastal town  in VN without gazillion cars and scooters running 24/7? Something like size of 40-50.000 ?

Is there any quiet coastal town in VN without gazillion cars and scooters running 24/7? Something like size of 40-50.000 ?
-@narcrepellant2525

I'd suggest, no.

Many, just drive up the coast and find one you like.

Many, just drive up the coast and find one you like.
-@colinoscapee

Agreed.  However, unless you have at least a minimal ability for two way communication in the Vietnamese language, life could be rather difficult in such towns.

Is there any quiet coastal town in VN without gazillion cars and scooters running 24/7? Something like size of 40-50.000 ?
-@narcrepellant2525

I'd suggest, no.
-@Stephen Hope

I agree, there are 97 million vietnamese people, how can you hope to find a quiet coastal town?

-@narcrepellant2525

Quy Nhon

(Google Maps link)

Just remember:

There is ALWAYS a tradeoff in Vietnam when seeking a smaller, more peaceful coastal place to live.

-@narcrepellant2525

Quy Nhon
(Google Maps link)

Just remember:

There is ALWAYS a tradeoff in Vietnam when seeking a smaller, more peaceful coastal place to live.
-@OceanBeach92107

Also, where my wife and I are living now is the most peaceful place in Vietnam that I've ever lived (without having to give up too many comforts):

Cẩm Thanh, Hội An, Quảng Nam

(Google Maps link)

If you don't need easy access to western creature comforts & stores & transportation, then this is #1 on my list of undiscovered gems, but I wouldn't recommend living there without a Vietnamese spouse or partner:

Tam Thanh, Tam Kỳ, Quảng Nam

(Google Maps link)

Even more remote (between Quy Nhơn and Tuy Hòa) but arguably the most beautiful beach area of all:

Bãi biển Từ Nham, Sông Cầu, Phú Yên

(Google Maps link)

@OceanBeach92107 How much you pay for apartment?  How about visa runs?

@OceanBeach92107 How much you pay for apartment? How about visa runs?
-@narcrepellant2525

In the Hội An area, It all depends on how "western"/modern you need your apartment to be, how close you are to the beach or the ancient town, and how long of a lease you are willing to sign (with deposit).

A bare bones Vietnamese-style apartment can be as low as 2 or 3 million VNĐ and a luxury place can easily require 16 million VNĐ or more.

You'd probably have no problem finding a nice place for between 6 and 12 million VNĐ.

Our 2 bedroom house is 8 million VNĐ per month on a 1 year lease, payable 3 months at a time, no deposit.

-@narcrepellant2525

I'd suggest, no.
-@Stephen Hope

I agree, there are 97 million vietnamese people, how can you hope to find a quiet coastal town?
-@Malcolmleitrim

Maybe you need to look around a bit more.

@OceanBeach92107  How about visa runs?
-@narcrepellant2525

I don't know the cost, but there is at least 1 trustworthy visa agency doing border runs from Đà Nẵng/Hội An to/from Laos 2 or 3 times a week, including arranging the necessary Laos visa.

Many private car companies also make the trip any day of the week.

Also, non-stop flights to/from Bangkok, Thailand from Danang are only about $105 USD

That opens up the possibility of spending 1 month in Vietnam, flying to Thailand for as short or long as you like, and then returning.

-@narcrepellant2525

I'd suggest, no.
-@Stephen Hope

-@Malcolmleitrim

You've got to get out of Hà Nội more often, Malcolm... 😉

What about Ha Tien, in Kien Giang province ? I have lived here for 12 years now,and really like it here we used to live in the town when we ran the bar , but 2 years ago (basically due to Covid) moved to just outside the town in the countryside. It is very handy for vísa runs, being only 7km from the Cambodian border , it is also now the main port for Phu Quoc island. There  is a good market ,a CO OP mart and 2 other supermarkets as well as many small Vietnamese shops The only thing that you don't have here is apartments, but you can rent a house or shophouse easily enough 3-8 million VND/month. Very few expats. Mui Nai beach is a few km away. The town is usually quite quiet during the week, but can get busier at weekends and holidays

-@narcrepellant2525

Hi,

Since you mentioned getting your bicycle to Da Nang are you looking for any quiet place anywhere or just around Da Nang central VN area?

Visa runs means getting to Laos/VN border or fly out fly in, so a nice sleepy place with easy access to an airport or someone who arranges visa runs by limo/car/bus.

As your visa is only 30 day, may I advise just getting a cheaper hotel first to check the place out and try to find a local that would rent to someone for 30 days, places like HCMC, VT, Da Nang etc are used to dealing with short leases and adjust the price compared to a 12 month lease.

Out in the burbs a hotel would be easy not so sure about a rental, also the sleepy hollow places may not have modern apartments or even apartments just houses or maybe a room in a house.

Jump on to your map app and look at places you think would suit then YT the place and have a look at a few videos there are heaps of them for just about every place and beach in VN.

Or like your road trip idea grab a bus and go check a few out before you try to jump in and rent, all you need is your phone for a map and translate basic stuff, cash in your wallet and something easy to carry, you may hate a place someone else likes, until you visit it's very hard to pick.

Good luck and please check back and let us know how you are doing with your adventure.

-@narcrepellant2525

I'd suggest, no.
-@Stephen Hope

-@Malcolmleitrim

You've got to get out of Hà Nội more often, Malcolm... 😉
-@OceanBeach92107

I have travelled around a fair bit, but when i have been anywhere vaguely remote I have usually been with my vietnamese girlfriend. Phu Yen is lovely, but without a vietnamese partner life would be a struggle.

The most remote place I have visited was the Nam Du Islands, three and a half hours from Rach Gia by ferry, I'm fairly sure I was the only westerner there. While eating sea urchins and oysters on the beach on my own, an English speaking vietnamese tourist came up to me and asked, "excuse me sir, but may I ask you how you got here!"

***, for you to survive. unless you are about getting into an assisted living. if you an adventurous traveller, abd travel solo, like other commenters on here, take the local bus, ride up the coast. skip the taxi option, they sock it to you. from dong hoi, dong ha, quang tri province. there us this sleepy beach town in dong hoi called nhat le beach (where the largest natural cave "phong nha cave) in viet nam is located, or all along the coast up into the western part of s. vn. you only need a need a few vietnamese words to get by plus your phone translator app. you don't need a women to push your roller, good grief. !

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Irrelevant
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for your input here, but please let's not get off-topic. 1f601.svg

After my post, I suggest we stick to the OP's question, which is; Is there any quiet coastal town in VN without gazillion cars and scooters running 24/7?

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@AndyHCMC  Thanks Andy, you are always good source of info about VN. Btw i got into the hotel you recommended, it is okay, pretty cheap less than 9 EUR per night, not luxury, but clean and  in quiet sideroad, very close to beach. Thanks man!

I have travelled around a fair bit, but when i have been anywhere vaguely remote I have usually been with my vietnamese girlfriend. Phu Yen is lovely, but without a vietnamese partner life would be a struggle.
The most remote place I have visited was the Nam Du Islands, three and a half hours from Rach Gia by ferry, I'm fairly sure I was the only westerner there. While eating sea urchins and oysters on the beach on my own, an English speaking vietnamese tourist came up to me and asked, "excuse me sir, but may I ask you how you got here!"
-@Malcolmleitrim

Haha, I like this story. Thank you sir!

Your best bet would be somewhere like Hoi An or Da nang in terms of the balance between amenities and quiet.

There's an art to finding a quiet place here but it's still a bit hit and miss, Barking dogs, roosters, beeping horns, angry neighbours, karaoke et al......try to visit a place at least a couple of times before moving if possible.

There's no getting away from the fact that Vietnam is a super noisy place. My Vietnamese colleagues often return from Bangkok and talk about how 'quiet and peaceful' it is there. Says a lot about the mentality toward noise here.

Au contraire, I was thinking that Thailand was more noisy and polluted than VN ;-)

Personally, I like Ha Long Bay. It's relatively quiet and beautiful to boot. If you have a 10 year Chinese visa you can make a borderrun in 4 hours.

Hmm, China is still closed due to Covid?

-@narcrepellant2525

China currently only allows foreign nationals with valid residence permits and visas to enter the country under certain very limited conditions.

-@narcrepellant2525
China currently only allows foreign nationals with valid residence permits and visas to enter the country under certain very limited conditions.
-@SimCityAT

I am currently in Canada and I haven't tried it in years. The visa run to China presumes that China returns to normalcy soon.

I have a TRV now, so I don't really need it.

Personally, I like Ha Long Bay. It's relatively quiet and beautiful to boot. If you have a 10 year Chinese visa you can make a borderrun in 4 hours.
-@kjkinVn

Just so anyone holding a Chinese 10 year visa is aware, China has cancelled ALL existing 10 year tourist visas a couple of years ago when covid started.  Even if the China visa in your passport still shows that it is not expired it is not valid.  You will need a new visa.

I think a nice quiet spot can also be found on Phu Quoc island. Technically it's a coast 1f923.svg

-@kjkinVn
Just so anyone holding a Chinese 10 year visa is aware, China has cancelled ALL existing 10 year tourist visas a couple of years ago when covid started. Even if the China visa in your passport still shows that it is not expired it is not valid. You will need a new visa.
-@SteinNebraska

I will say it again.....

Not sure why, but each time I see the title of this thread I'm reminded of this.

Apologies for going off topic.

@Malcolmleitrim

that's quite amusing of a story sir

@brian h hoang

cheryl, i was replying to the other commenter about needing a local to assist. i might get carried away in describing it. but the point was i didn't want the other to get the idea that it is risky to travel alone. that's why some would do travel even into remotest areas.  that is why it is called adventure. hence the unknown.

@brian h hoang
cheryl, i was replying to the other commenter about needing a local to assist. i might get carried away in describing it. but the point was i didn't want the other to get the idea that it is risky to travel alone. that's why some would do travel even into remotest areas. that is why it is called adventure. hence the unknown.
-@brian h hoang

It's not risky, it's just very difficult if you don't speak the language.