State schools. Registration? Process?

Hi!

My Husband and I are in talks to relocate to Malta on a permanent basis, in early 2023.

We have 2 children who would need to attend school. We have looked at private but think we may struggle to get them in and not sure we can afford the fees.

Just want to know if there are any expats in Malta or people looking to relocate, that are looking at State schools or their children go to state schools?

What is the process? Can we view the schools before making a decision, or are we just allocated to a school, and how/when do we register??

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks 😊

@alc22

Welcome to the Forum, have you read previous posts about schooling?  This subject has been covered many times,

you should get the answers you need, good luck.

Hello alc22,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Just like GozoMo said, I am also sure that this topic has been discussed many times.

You should browse the Malta forum and use the search bar (on the top right), type schooling and you will see all the concerned threads.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@alc22

Your children will be allocated a state school within the catchment area, so this will depend on where you are living.

https://edumalta.gov.mt/en/schools?Query.Sector=1243

Have a look at this link, there are contact details for all schools in Malta. If you contact the school directly, they will be able to guide you further.

@alc22 hi. I am in the same situation. Where are you from? I have already contacted a school and they told me I have to register children once we are resident in the area, so it means we need first a rent agreement as a proof. Any further info you get would be apreciated. Thanks.

@Arianna123 Hi! We will be moving from England. I have found the same information as you in regards to state school.

I am visiting Malta this week to scope it out and will be visiting a private school, but if I find any more out while I am there I will be sure to let you know.

If you find anything more out please let me know too? 😊

When are you moving and where from?

Thanks! X

@Evreham Hi! Thank you, I think I found this during my 'research' and it helped!

Thank you very much for replying, much appreciated 🙂

@alc22 oh thanks so much.

We are from Portugal, I have 2 daughters, 2 and 4 years now. They will go to a public school for sure. We are visiting end of January and planning to move end 2023. Thanks for sharing your infos, I will do the same of course.