Cost of Schools?

Hello all,

We are considering moving to Malta and wanted to know about schools for our children.

They are under 4 so from what we have learned so far is that the types of schools are

a) State Schools (Free) but lessons are taught in Maltese but if there is a child in the school who speaks no Maltese the lesson will be in English. Is this correct?

Private Schools

a) Catholic Schools which lessons are taught in English but there is a small donation required. But what is the cost of that donation per year and how hard is it to get your child in a Catholic School?

b) Private Schools which lessons are taught in English and I have been told are around 3,000 Euros per child per year which we could not afford. But is there any kind of bursary that can be applied for? or if you can not afford it, then tough!

International Schools

Which again are around the same price of Private schools which we could not afford.

Do anyone know of any homeschool groups that have been set up?

Please can someone clarify?

Please read previous posts as this subject has been asked so many times.

Thank you I have looked for hours on this site and there were no answers to those questions. If there actually answers to those questions, and I dont just mean similar or vague answers to those questions I have, which dont actually answer my questions then please be kind enough to give me the links to those questions. I thank you very much in advance.

I hope someone will know the answers, all I can do is just hope.

Don't know from experience, as all our expat-friends with kids have their kids in state schools, but I have heard and read that the waiting lists for the church schools are ridiculously long...

With state schools, as far as I know, the question of whether they teach in English or Maltese largely depends on where in Malta you are - I heard St. Paul's and Sliema, Pembroke... (where many expats are) is mostly English. One of my friends has her daughter in Mellieha primary - don't know if any lessons are in Maltese, but as far as I know the girl has no problems following the lessons... Other friends have their kids in Mosta primary, same there, no problems with the language. (I take it your children speak English?)

Hope that helps for a start.

Bernie

Thanks, for that.

In order for a parents to teach their children at home ie homeschool them I know that a parent must get a warrant from the goverment, what are the stipulations for a parent to get a warrant to teach their children at home/homeschool.

Which State schools speak the most English?

Yes our children only speak English, they are 2.

interesting wrote:

Best age to learn both

SimCityAT wrote:
interesting wrote:

Best age to learn both

Give the man a coconut.
That has to be the best answer of the thread, especially if you intend to stay over an extended period.
At that young age they will pick languages up easily, meaning they will get a serious boost to their lives in a new country.

Children seem not to have too much trouble learning another language, our granddaughter moved to Germany just before her third birthday and now aged five she can speak it fluent enough to start school later this year but Maltese is a difficult language to learn.

My mother's first language is Welsh and 2nd being English. Learning back then in the 1940's was completely different to what it is today. No TV's, Computers etc.....

Unfortunately you can't guarantee any school will teach in English. Some teachers will teach everything in English, others wont, but you may find religion and history will only be taught in Maltese in a lot of state schools. Maltese friends of mine with children and step children who do not speak Maltese are having to approach teachers on a regular basis after being told they would be taught in English upon enrolling their children in various schools and finding out they are not. In Mellieha one friend's son (age 6) is however taught in English but then given homework in Maltese, which of course he doesn't understand. So it really does vary from school to school and you wont find out what it's really like until you get there as it seems different for everyone.

Church schools are like you say rather hard to get into. I'm not sure how much the 'small donation' is these days, although it's generally less than a private school, but the 'small donation' isn't optional and they do have a figure in mind in most cases. They are heavily oversubscribed because they tend to be the preferred type of school for many Maltese families. Some I know have one child in one and one in another just to get their children into a church school rather than a state school.

Private school fees vary from school to school (International schools cost a lot more than private schools). The majority of classes are taught in English, although some teachers teach in whatever language they just so happen to fancy teaching in at the time. An example of school fees per term (on the cheaper end of the scale) is:

Kinder - €500 (nursery age)
Pre-Junior/Infants - €600
Juniors 1 & 2 - €770
Juniors 3 & 4 - €820
Juniors 5 & 6 - €850
Seniors 1 to 2 - €975
Seniors 3, 4 & 5 - €990

You get reductions for second children being enrolled at the school and you will also be expected to pay an enrollment fee which is usually around 800-1000 euros if I remember rightly.

Rebate wise you can receive the following back each year when you choose to send your child to a private school (not including the enrollment fee):

Childcare (0 to 3yrs): €2000 per student/annum
Kinder level (3 to 4 yrs): €1300 per student/annum
Primary level: €1600 per student/annum
Secondary level: €2300 per student/annum

This is done on a tax year rather than school year basis and claims are usually submitted by the school on your behalf in around February/March each year. You then receive the rebate via cheque around the end of September.

You also pay for all school books and equipment in private schools, which can easily add up to 200+ euros per child (this is based on infants school spend, my teenager is easily double that per year, but depends on which subjects they take at that age). Needless to say you soon find ways to save - second hand text books have become a lifesaver seeing as the majority of them are over 25 euros each (for my teen) and stocking up on things like paper, folders, pens, paint etc when in the UK.

Uniform is also only available from one shop on the island meaning they can charge ridiculous amounts for each item because there is no competition - and everything is usually marked with the school logo. Add to that the summer/winter uniform change (we used to have 3 uniform changes a year rather than just the two) and you end up spending a small fortune on school uniforms too.

As for the teaching of Maltese to children in private schools if your child starts after the age of 14 they won't have to take Maltese. They can also opt out of taking religion/catechism. If they start at primary school age they don't tend to be taught any Maltese until year one of juniors, however they will pick up bits and bobs playing with their friends before then which is probably the best way for them to learn at that age.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

@Kat33 wow amazing detail thanks.

As you seem to know all, can I ask if Religious studies is required or if international schools have that as optional?  Obviously Malta is super religious so understandable though we'd prefer not to if possible.

Hi Volcane

Religion is optional in (private) secondary school as far as I know (it is for my teen anyway). Not sure about the rest or primary level I'm afraid - although my infant school aged 5 year old can practically recite the bible in his 'non religious' private school, so I think it's woven into the curriculum for other ages perhaps. Those not doing religion at secondary age tend to do what they refer to as 'alternative' instead.

This can be anything from reading a book, doing their homework or having some form of structured lesson in its place. My daughter has done anything from cooking to art and Spanish instead - none of which lead to qualifications though so if you do pass on religion/catechism you do lose out on an exam subject with no alternative offered in its place.

I believe some schools have started offering 'ethics' instead of religion now but I wouldn't know which ones I'm afraid, or if it's an exam subject.

Hope that helps.

@kat33: thanks a lot thats very helpful, we're still a bit off from school age so hopefully things move in the more progressive direction by then but what you say is encouraging.

thanks!

Hi everyone,

Please note that some inappropriate posts have been removed from this thread.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi all,

I am considering to apply for residence permit in Malta under Malta Residence & Visa Program (MRVP). This program requires applicant to invest certain amount of money in Malta to be granted residence permit.
I am working on the costs we need to budget for 5 years of residence under MRVP before we can apply for long-term residence permit, and having problem to estimate budget for my kids' school fee: I have 2 kids going to primary school and I intended to enrol them in state school which is free for Malta and EU citizen, but as non-EU residents in Malta, school rules saying that we need to apply for fee exemption, and need to provide a good reason for exemption. Since we are coming to Malta on the basis of bringing money to the country, will school grant us the fee exemption? If not, how much we need to budget for primary state school fee?
Thanks you!

MWIN wrote:

Hi all,

I am considering to apply for residence permit in Malta under Malta Residence & Visa Program (MRVP). This program requires applicant to invest certain amount of money in Malta to be granted residence permit.
I am working on the costs we need to budget for 5 years of residence under MRVP before we can apply for long-term residence permit, and having problem to estimate budget for my kids' school fee: I have 2 kids going to primary school and I intended to enrol them in state school which is free for Malta and EU citizen, but as non-EU residents in Malta, school rules saying that we need to apply for fee exemption, and need to provide a good reason for exemption. Since we are coming to Malta on the basis of bringing money to the country, will school grant us the fee exemption? If not, how much we need to budget for primary state school fee?
Thanks you!

I would think that if you can fulfill the obligations of the MRVP which is going to cost you in excess of €550,000 to €600,000 then they will allow your children to use the state schools and even if they didn't I would not think charges at a state school would make a significant difference compared with your initial investment!

Ray

Thanks a lot for your kindly detailed information.

just would like to ask this rebate system ?
we pay the school fee about 1000 Euro per term...and rebate this ?

thanks again.

Hi,
could you please inform how much investment or capital to set up a company in Malts require for this Malta Residence & Visa Program (MRVP)  ?

Also, can parents get visa if they their child registered to any school ?

thanks

Rather an unhelpful reply. Lazy.

Puppy1975 wrote:

Rather an unhelpful reply. Lazy.

Who or what are you referring to?  The posts are from last August.